why do aspies look like like theyre on drugs?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:04 pm

I almost forgot about it, but someone started a rumor at one of my previous workplaces that I was on drugs. Well, at least now i know why they did that.

I guess, the eyes do play a role. Without direct eye contact, we probably do look like stoners.

But, I don't know if this is an AS thing or not, when I'm hyper from an interesting exciting conversation (those happen once in a while, and only that) or if I'm around a guy I think is hot, I will get hyper and ramble a lot or if I'm really tired trying desperately to stay awake that happens too. They probably think I'm on some amphetamines or something when I get like that.

To be honest, most of the conversations I have with people where it is a deep conversation is when they are on drugs. And, I suppose they don't realize that I'm capable of that sober, and I suppose that since I'm usually thinking outside the box, they assume I'm on a drug to make me that way.

I guess I am on drugs if you call vitamins, caffeine, and nicotine drugs. Oh, and sometimes I take Hoodia (first I was trying to get back to my old weight after having kids, and when that happened, I decided to keep going to get the weight or figure I always wanted to have...still working on it. Gotta find a way just to knock that stomach smaller and keep everything else larger).

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:09 pm

My AS husband had a lot of physical, sensorimotor traits. He had that sleepy, stoned-eyes look. It was kind of cool.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:10 pm

bonez wrote:
All the time ppl tell me i look like I'm on drugs or that I'm "naturally high". and i've heard many other aspies say the same. why do aspies look like theyre on drugs??

i get that all the time,
clearly aspies have different sense of space and time than most ppl and that excatly what drugs do,change your perception of space and time,
the police stop and search me at least once a week,
one of the endless annoyances with ppl constantly invading my private spaces.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2008, 7:20 pm

I look like i'm on drugs when i'm not on medication. :roll:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:23 pm

Oh. It's another thing that makes getting a job and keeping it tough. People think I am on drugs when I'm not. What is the deal. It's tootally effing messed up. The pee cup vindicates me tho' if I can take it to that level.

I don't see why life is so unfair in the job sector. Why is it I should have so much trouble in an area that is such a non issue for so many others. I swear I would take any other hassle except job hassle and health hassle. If I could have anything it would be good health and a good job and to hell with the rest.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:32 pm

DwightF wrote:
garyww wrote:
Do I look like I'm on drugs? (See avatar for example).

Not necessarily at the time of the picture. But when I first saw that picture I immediately mentally jotted down "he has experience in chasing the White Rabbit". :o There is something very "I've been there and done that, kid" about that picture.

He definitely looks like someone who may have been a hippie at one point (or still is) :D And i mean that as a good thing!

--Aldous Huxley

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:46 pm

Maybe it happens when our brains are trying to compute NT logic, paradoxical.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 8:02 pm

"He always seems like he's on drugs."-about me. I get comments like that all the time. A guy nicknamed me pot-head cuz i seemed stoned.

Ishy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2008, 8:05 pm

Ha, go figure. Someone thought the same thing about me the other day. Its understandable: if your strange to others, you must be either mentally wired wrong ("weird") or on drugs. If your sociable, people s'pose its drugs.

Joeygeorge
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2008, 8:43 pm

but now ive started smoking it most of the time even wen im not stoned people still say it

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

21 Dec 2008, 9:00 pm

I get that all the time. It's best to just ignore it. I'm going to ask my friends why I look stoned though.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 9:39 pm

bonez wrote:
All the time ppl tell me i look like I'm on drugs or that I'm "naturally high". and i've heard many other aspies say the same. why do aspies look like theyre on drugs??

I don't. Not all of us have the exact same 'symptoms' though.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 9:58 pm

It would be interesting, wouldn't it?..., if some people display the symptoms of being on drugs, because maybe they Naturally have the same neurotransmitter levels of a person on drugs, but without drugs. It does confuse police though, such as when a sober person is too uncoordinated to pass a simple sobriety test, or police mistake a diabetic for a drunk.

Is everyone who doesn't have a headache assumed to be on aspirin?

And that reminds me ... this flash video pwzorz lolz ...
http://www.cafeoflifepikespeak.com/Videos/Licensed%20To%20Pill.swf

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 10:32 pm

Lack of facial expressions is the answer (nearly all people with an ASD will lack facial expressions).

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 10:44 pm

I think it's that we have an unusual gaze and that we usually don't look at people's eyes.

brightlined
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2008, 12:22 am

When I was in college, I used to get asked all of the time if I was high (specifically pot, which I've never smoked in my life). I had longer hair at the time, which didn't help.

Most of the time, it came when someone I knew was walking in my direction and I looked away instead of making eye contact. Usually, I either pretended like I was thinking about something or that I didn't see them (mostly when I wasn't in the mood for chit-chat, which was most of the time). I think most who saw me equated that as me being "spaced out".

It doesn't happen much anymore, but I'm rarely in that kind of situation. The only similar situation now is when I'm at my desk - people come to chat with me, and I typically look back toward my monitor (avoiding eye contact). I can't tell you how often someone asks me if they've caught me in the middle of something when they really haven't.