Should I join AS-related FB groups b4 revealing my AS on...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2008, 3:24 am

...a Facebook blog?

I wonder if joining Aspie groups first is a discreet way of hinting I'm an Aspie?

At first, I thought of revealing it in a 5+-page blog first, but others said that (to paraphrase), I would reveal too much about myself too soon. Some of them in that other thread here said I ought to join Aspie groups (first).

So do you concur with this decision? I've already joined a couple Aspie groups, but if it was a bad decision after all, at least I can un-join and take those group-joining "stories" off my Newsfeed.

22 Dec 2008, 4:54 am

Why do you feel it's important to reveal your AS?

Yes joining the aspie groups will show up in your profile that you joined them. It also notifies you have made a new thread or posted a reply. I think it can hint you are one.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 9:51 am

ya do it, im in a few, like the wrong planet group created by alex plank among others like u might be an aspie if...

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:22 pm

You can turn of the setting that notifies everybody of what groups you join or etc. I think if you're that dead-set on revealing it this is a better course of action. If others put 2 & 2 together about it they might be more understanding over reading a 5 page blog. I think that would just look like 5 pages of excuses or attention grabbing to the average person, despite it not really being the case. Just make sure its what you want to do, because people judge, and as much as we can all agree on how wrong prejudice and judgment are, everybody, especially NT's, do it, and social conditions are not something most NT's understand nor want to understand, hence the difficulty in living with AS in a world inhabited by NT's...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:32 pm

People won't usually read a 5 page blog...

break it down into points and spread it over a few posts.

That way, you can deal with the comments in subsequent posts.

Good luck.

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2008, 5:00 pm

gbollard wrote:

Good luck.

Damn I thought people normally did that....I do if its meaning full, but if its a 5 page essay about some average NT ranting about life and how its not fair that california bans guns then I basically go f**k this and move on...

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2008, 6:39 pm

gbollard wrote:

Good luck.

That's why I intend to post one page (post) at a time, with no more than 750 words per post.

So that there isn't too much to absorb at once, I also plan on posting one page of this per day.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:31 pm

I've joined a couple of FB AS groups and no one on my friends list has said anything. They probably don't even know what Asperger's is.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2008, 2:40 am

pensieve wrote:
I've joined a couple of FB AS groups and no one on my friends list has said anything. They probably don't even know what Asperger's is.

Same here.

I personally don't see any reason to just go out and tell everyone about it. Finding out that you have Asperger's is a bit different than finding out that you are homosexual if I may use that for comparison.

Regular people would most likely care much more about the latter because there are prejudices against it, and it would be a great gossip topic about how 'gay' the person acted before they revealed it.

On the other hand, there are probably very few normal teens who know what Asperger's is and those who do know are probably the ones affected by it in some way. Those who do not understand it see it as an excuse to avoid social situations and may think that you are looking for sympathy. Others see the condition as a made up disease that was created by Wikipedia users as a crutch for lazy people to free them of all responsibilities and social obligations.

I think that it is a good idea to join the Asperger's groups if you want though. Other people may look at the group and realize what it is, but they are much less likely to make a judgment of your character based on it - for all they know it could be a relative of yours who has the condition or you could have accepted a spam group invite sent to you.

If someone questions you and says something along the lines of, "Hey, I saw you joined that Asperger's group. I know about the condition - do you have it?", then of course you can go ahead and discuss it with them if you feel comfortable doing so.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 9:51 am

Sea_of_Saiyan wrote:
If someone questions you and says something along the lines of, "Hey, I saw you joined that Asperger's group. I know about the condition - do you have it?", then of course you can go ahead and discuss it with them if you feel comfortable doing so.
Nobody did that when I joined a whole bunch of autism/AS groups (spread out over time) and this stuff appears in my over 100 friends newsfeed.

And btw I talk about it all the time in real life. Noone wants to listen to any long explanation but it's always easy enough to mention "I have this neurological condition called Asperger's syndrome" in relevent enough way. It's like anyone who knows me is bound to hear it sooner or later and noone ever makes a big deal out of it. They know what I'm like and it's only a diagnosis (which gives me an excuse to be weird and socially inept). Once I know people know I don't worry about seeming weird so much.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 12:08 am

protest_the_hero wrote:
And btw I talk about it all the time in real life. Noone wants to listen to any long explanation but it's always easy enough to mention "I have this neurological condition called Asperger's syndrome" in relevent enough way. It's like anyone who knows me is bound to hear it sooner or later and noone ever makes a big deal out of it. They know what I'm like and it's only a diagnosis (which gives me an excuse to be weird and socially inept). Once I know people know I don't worry about seeming weird so much.

That's a good way to reveal it. If only I could get the words out, but when in a social situation words don't come out of my mouth as easily as that. I'm so much better at writing.