Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 4:05 pm

:(

I'm going crazy because I'm going to have to make a phonecall and I can't. I just can't.

I don't know why the hell companies don't make things available to do online.

I'm considering faking deafness to get a relay service to make the call for me. Does anyone else have this where they can't make phone calls?

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2008, 4:09 pm

i get really anxious whenever i need to use the phone.hate doing it. usually i just avoid it whenever possible

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2008, 4:22 pm

I used to. I learned to write down a script of what I had to say and I also practiced it a few times before I made a call. Now it is no problem, except that I still do have to jot down notes beforehand, otherwise I get too nervous and might even forget information like my own birthdate or address.

For everything that was difficult for me, I found a way to adapt or make adjustments and find my own way of doing them.

www.neurointegrity.com

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 4:25 pm

I've grown more leary of the phone lately, because whenever I've called a vendor for technical support, it seems that their entire technical staff is either on holiday, laid off, or out sick; but oh, their cheerful and well-informed sales staff just happens to be available to take my call ... after I've given them all my contact information, of course. :roll:

This results in more contact with the company than I had hoped to avoid. The next cheerfully smarmy sales rep that calls is getting an earfull; something along the lines of:

"Just let me download the *&^%$#@ service manual to deal with the crap I've already bought from you, and stop emailing me your self-introductions and *&^%$#@ sales pitches!! !" :evil:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 5:22 pm

I'm the same way. I hate the phone and will avoid using it whenever possible. On the rare occasion that my phone rings, my chest tightens and I feel sick.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 5:59 pm

I hate phones too. :( I never use them and that's why I don't have a mobile/cell phone.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Ens
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2008, 6:05 pm

What's ironic is I'm the same way and have been working for a big phone company for 10 years because it was the first job available out of college. Somehow I've managed to stick out the boredom and forced myself to call people when I need to. Of course I'm able to see patterns in troubles and do the ones I want and rarely need to call anymore since I usually know what causes the trouble. When I'm at home good luck getting me to answer the phone or call you back in a timely manner.

This job is killing me though and how much they pay makes it near impossible to quit given the state of North American economies.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2008, 6:07 pm

I loathe the telephone. I fear it. I often "forget" to turn it on. (I only have a cell phone.) I have a telephone only so that my husband and daughter can reach me, or I can call someone in an emergency, like getting my car caught in a snowdrift.

I like ngonz's advice: write down what you want to ask and say. You might pretend you are performing a skit. Think of it as art.

I did have a very good phone conversation once. It involved calling a credit card company to activate my credit card. I'd hoped it would be automatic, but nooooooooooooooo, I had to talk to a human being who wanted to sell me something. Here's how it went:

Sales rep: "Good morning, Mrs. Ruach, and how are you today?"
Me: "Just fine."
Sale rep: "Oh, I'm so glad to hear that. Mrs. Ruach, can I offer you credit protection in the event that you lose your job?"
Me: "No."
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that you lose your job."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that your spouse loses his job?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that your spouse loses his job."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that you become temporarily disabled?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that you become temporarily disabled."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that your spouse becomes temporarily disabled?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that your spouse becomes temporarily disabled."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you membership in our Customer Points program, which will allow you to receive points for free gifts, such as tote bags, luggage, alarm clocks, and other useful items?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but you will be able to earn points for free gifts, such as tote bags, luggage, alarm clocks, and other useful items."

<long silence>

Sales rep: "But...I don't...you see...Mrs. Ruach...well, why wouldn't you...but they're FREE!"
Me: "I know. I don't want them. I have enough things already."

<long silence>

Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you..."
Me: "You know, my kid needs to have a bath."
Sales rep: "Is there anything else I can do for you?"
Me: "No, thank you. Goodbye."

That one was fun. :D

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:12 pm

actually this is fairly common and many autistics use phones designed for the blind or the deaf. I know of at least one person who post here who does so wait awhile and you'll get some good feedback.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:20 pm

MizLiz wrote:

I'm going crazy because I'm going to have to make a phonecall and I can't. I just can't.

I'm considering faking deafness to get a relay service to make the call for me. Does anyone else have this where they can't make phone calls?

I hate using the phone too, I find that when on the phone all I try to do is find a way to end the conversation faster, and the longer it goes on, the more draining it is for me.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:22 pm

I'm terrified of telephones. It's so scary talking to people on the phone. Too much room to slip up and say the wrong thing.

noahveil23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2008, 6:25 pm

Hate calling people I don't know really well. Business call especially. It can take a whole day to screw up the gumption to make 1 call.

On the other hand LOVE caller ID. I am I screening my calls? yes I think I am.

Totally, seemingly unrelated subject, but not really... Holiday Cards.

I have such horrible guilt around this it is terrible. Each card that comes in the mail is like a little stab in the heart. Because I will never ever ever reciprocate. There are no cards on the way from me, not now, not ever.

I am very hyper today. lots of ! !! !'s

When the phone rings I am stricken with paralysis. I gingerly lift the wireless phone, some dim reptilian part of my brain is convinced that it will "pick up" when I pick it up, it won't, I know it won't, it's CORDLESS! but that does not quell the fear, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, not PRIVATE or UNKNOWN CALLER?? Who are these nameless people? Why do they torment me?

It's usually just Blockbuster. "your copy of <SIMS 2> is now <3 days> overdue."

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:02 pm

I hate using my home phone. I guess it's the whole feeling nervous to speak to strangers. But I'm getting better at speaking on it. I prefer to text on my mobile phone. The people that call me are usually my mum, my sister and my friend.
When I was younger I wouldn't answer the phone at all. No one would call me anyway, because I talked to no one.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:07 pm

Quote:
MizLiz wrote:

i spent the first half of my life like this. AS can get beter with age. ten years ago i learned to use the phone and now it is my preferred means of communication. I just have to deal with the verbals without the faces and so i can comprehend better. however iI am told it is funny watching me on the phone - i pace rapidly and aimlessly aournd our house while talking and i mimic the voice of the person i am talking with (mildly and unintentionally.)

noahveil23

22 Dec 2008, 7:20 pm

millie wrote:
however iI am told it is funny watching me on the phone - i pace rapidly and aimlessly aournd our house while talking and i mimic the voice of the person i am talking with (mildly and unintentionally.)

This is what makes wrong planet so important to me (now)! I can see myself pacing the length of the house from curb to the chain link fence at the back property line, talking, LOUD and flapping my arms, and driving my wife nuts.

A couple weeks ago when we had to take our old ginger cat to be put down I got so agitated I was practically running back and forth, flapping my arms and shaking my hands and I remembered seeing something in someone's post here, and I thought Oh, Yeah, I get it. This isn't just a me thing, this is an aspie thing.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:27 pm

Quote:
noahveil23 wrote:
millie wrote:
however iI am told it is funny watching me on the phone - i pace rapidly and aimlessly aournd our house while talking and i mimic the voice of the person i am talking with (mildly and unintentionally.)

This is what makes wrong planet so important to me (now)! I can see myself pacing the length of the house from curb to the chain link fence at the back property line, talking, LOUD and flapping my arms, and driving my wife nuts.

A couple weeks ago when we had to take our old ginger cat to be put down I got so agitated I was practically running back and forth, flapping my arms and shaking my hands and I remembered seeing something in someone's post here, and I thought Oh, Yeah, I get it. This isn't just a me thing, this is an aspie thing.

yup. :wink: