DIY Modifying refurbishing repairing building of instruments

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 7:55 am

I'm about 75% done converting my old P-Bass into a fretless p-bass. I've taken the frets out, sanded, sanded, sanded, sanded, sanded, filled the fret slots with wood filler, sanded a TON, and now I'm waiting for the second coat of epoxy to dry so I can maybe put on another one. So far all is going very well.

Has anybody else here modified/refurbished/repaired/built their own instruments? Or have interest in doing so?

Also, great resource for people interested in DIY guitar/bass stuff http://www.projectguitar.com/

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 8:38 am

I'm interested in this, and will probably wind up building a guitar at some point. I'd also like to try building a Metroamp clone of a 60's Marshall guitar amp, though I'm more dangerous than useful with a soldering iron. The necessity of avoiding shop charges basically introduced me to working on my guitars, though the only things that I avoid are avoiding the truss rod and working on the nut, as well as the electronics, though I do everything else myself.

Out of curiosity, did the P-Bass that you defretted have a Rosewood or Maple fretboard?

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 10:30 am

It has a rosewood fretboard. I used "natural" colored wood filler, so the fret lines are kind of an off-white color. I'll post some pictures in about 6 hours or so.

I am really comfortable with working with my truss rod, and my father is a retired electrician who used to wire houses, and did all sorts of other things, so he taught me how to solder and all sorts of other nifty things with electronics. I generally don't even go to guitar shops anymore.

KingSolemn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Dec 2008, 12:13 pm

Yes, I modify!

I got a small collection of guitars, mostly Fenders. I have modifed and refined the electronics on all of them. I haven't gotten around to rewinding pickups yet, so for the moment I settle for handwired Seymour Duncan pickups. Preferably "antiquity", if suitable.
Come to think of it, I've also modified all the different tremolo systems on my Fenders....

I got this "ideal" guitar sound in my head, that I'm pursuing. It's my main obsession.

:king:

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 7:02 pm

I was interested in it at one point in my life. I built a flat-top mandolin and it's the one that I play now. I was looking into building a carved-top F-style mando from scratch, but I never felt confident enough to attempt it.
Here's the one I built. Except for the tuners, strings, and tailpiece, I made every part of it myself:

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 12:16 am

Flismflop wrote:
I was interested in it at one point in my life. I built a flat-top mandolin and it's the one that I play now. I was looking into building a carved-top F-style mando from scratch, but I never felt confident enough to attempt it.
Here's the one I built. Except for the tuners, strings, and tailpiece, I made every part of it myself:

That looks really nice. I'll upload some pics of my defretted basses (today I defretted my old acoustic bass, turned out really well). I'm still epoxying the p-bass' neck, the 3rd coat is drying right now.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 12:31 am

I always wanted to put frets on a violin (after trying to teach myself how to play..;)