Why do NTs believe each other's lies?

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 10:44 am

In the simple view, people lie because telling the truth has not gone well.

Our classifications are simple, one cannot be half Republican and half communist.

One cannot take a third of one religion and two thirds of another.

No one likes school, but they know better than to say so, for the truth will cause problems.

Lying is something taught to the young, that getting by is the most important thing.

Deception is a great tool, I use it often.

If the hairless ground apes knew what I was doing, there would be accidents.

Deception of perception, never let anyone know your goals, wear a mask, or they will do everything they can to block you.

So you play a role, and they attack the imaginary.

In many cultures a person has a real name, which is kept a secret. This is the real person, and everything about it is kept a total secret.

Very bad things will happen if anyone learns your true name.

Then everyone is aware they are dealing with the social personas of all others, and not with their true selves.

It is a seperation of personal goals from group goals.

It is the same in modern western culture, except the true self is lacking, they are only the mask.

The reason the AS hairless ape has problems is self, a strong sense of it, a perception of lack in others.

Keeping self a secret is wise, lying to everyone is wise.

"Unto thine own self be true, and you will be false to no man,
but wear the best clothes you can, for clothes make the man."

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:45 am

My therapist used to try to teach me to develop the False Self (according to the theory that we should all have the ability to present a false self to society and have a healthy True Self that only we know). I wasn't a good pupil, though.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 12:50 pm

Thanks for this post: I have learned a lot by reading it.

I don´t see anything wrong with trying to pick apart NT behavior in an attempt to understand it. Sometimes a generalization is necessary to bring up a particular point; otherwise, finding and using the right politically correct words all the time can be awfully cumbersome. I don´t "hate" NTs, and yet I pick apart and analyze typical NT behavior all the time, otherwise I would never get what the hell is going on. It can be very helpful. If we can´t talk about these "taboo" subjects here on Wrong Planet, where CAN we discuss them? And how would we ever get any feedback, if we don´t air them in a place where others can answer? Don´t men and women talk about each other all the time, lumping the opposite sex into groups too? If we are going to complain about "NT-lumping", then we may as well complain about "men-lumping" and "women-lumping".

Well, that said...I find this an interesting question, and in fact I was about to post something similar in the Love and Dating section later tonight. Because to me, most romantic relationships feel like a lot of lies and "play acting" too. In fact, I have been told by people that I SHOULD lie (I can´t though, and I´m highly unconvincing if I try). And...maybe NTs don´t actually believe ass kissing, as some of you have suggested, but they sure do want to believe lies in love. I don´t understand this; who wants to live a lie??? I would rather know the truth, even if it´s painful, than live the lie; (which probably means betrayal later).

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 2:19 pm

I think NTs can afford believing lies because their intuition knows better and later protects them from making mistakes based on having believed lies. Whereas I, if I believe lies, I'm misled to the very core and act on the lies, making huge mistakes.

Eg: an NT can believe when someone tells him that everyone in a certain group is wonderful and lovely and generous and selfless and honest and fair, because it makes him feel better. And yet, his intuition won't let him act on that lie, such as lend anyone in that group any money and hope to get the money back.

In short, they believe what they want to believe, and let their intuition look after their best interest. I'd probably live like that too if I could.