Aspergers and mood swings or Bipolar

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:04 pm

Kailuamom wrote:
My DS has been dx'd:
Bipolar & Aspie (aspie child psychaitrist)
Mood Disorder NOS & Aspie (Pediatric Neurologist)
And Bipolar NOS, ruled out all autism spectrum (Pediatric neuropsychologist)

So does he have one issue, many issues, co morbid???? I don't know.

What I do know is.... When the meltdowns are described here, that fits my child more than on the BP kids forum.

He seems to react to meds more like they say is typical for an aspie, much more likely to experience the rare side effects, need smaller doses...

Hypomobile joints (that's loose joints right?)

Freaky sensory stuff (and I say freaky, because in some cases he is sensory aversive some cases sensory seeking - and he doesn't know it)

However - great eye contact. Can have a back and forth conversation (so long as it's about what he's interested in). Will show you things. His special interest is very broad and changing.

As I have spent time in both worlds trying to help my child find some happiness (because trust me - having public meltdowns and not being socially included is painful for him), I see how mixed up these dx's can be.

Anyway - I have no great wisdom or suggestions. The bpkids website is a great resource. Check it out and see what sounds like your child.

I'm not giving advice or anything, but I would go to a symptom checker to see if it's genetic because of the hyper-flexible joints, the reactivity to medications, and the sensory things (I hope this isn't offensive), but since I found something that made me cry when I searched it, I'm forbidden from symptom checking....sorry if I offended you...

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2010, 3:54 pm

carltcwc wrote:
look up multiple complex developmental disorder. thats what i have. sounds like me as a kid. its a mix of aspergers and schizo symptoms with bipolar moodswings and adhd.

I just searched the term you refer to - very interesting.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 2:30 pm

I fit most of the neurotic symptoms of mcDD.