[25+ Age] L & D Forums for High-Functioning Adult AS?

Page 21 of 23 [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:42 am

Shiggily wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
sunshower wrote:

Wow Japan, that's awesome. What's it like living there? I've never been. I've been to Thailand and Vietnam though, and Vietnam was hands down my favourite.

it is a little like an aspie paradise

Are you serious? How so? And more importantly, where in Japan should I consider purchasing accommodation? :lol:

social norms are very rule oriented, distinctive, and consistent. It is relatively slow paced (In Okinawa) or fast paced (in Tokyo). The Japanese people are quite clean and eccentric. So most of the weirdness that Americans pick up on passes unnoticed here. I find it easy to communicate with people because the communication is outlined very specifically. On the downside, the Japanese people are not very direct... on the upside their indirectness is very structured and is cultural and not individual. I like things that amuse me and in Japan I am endlessly amused. I collect cute funny little notebooks to write in, Japanese clothing with poetic misspelled English nonsense. Everyone is polite, non-confrontational, non-emotional in public. There is a very specific way to act around people. You can bow a little or nod, or say hello... but no further communication is expected (such as strangers sitting next to you). Most interactions are formal or aligned with you speaking English and them wanting to practice English. So the Japanese, as a whole, are very emotionally withdrawn in public (similar in ways to an Aspie), very curious (similar to an Aspie), and have a very specific way of communicating (which is good for an Aspie), they also place less of an interest on physical skills (with the exception of martial arts) and more of a focus on intellectual skills and business success.

On the other hand the Japanese have embrace a non-standard way of living. You are free to wear whatever you want, bright colors, crazy hair. Things in the states that would seem outlandish are the norm here.

so it just seems that fitting in, for an aspie, is easier in a very structured, organized, collectivist society that embraces individual differences than in a very loose, fluid, unstructured individualistic society that abhors individual differences.

Wow, that does sound good. Except I do like talking to strangers, but more interesting looking strangers of my choice such as a busker I once spent a whole afternoon discussing philosophy and life meaning with, and a cartoonist who showed me some of his work. Generally more eccentric strangers like myself. Cities are a good place to meet people like that.

you can still do that. It is just unlikely that they will approach you for anything except to say hi or to practice a little English.

That's alright, I can approach them. :D I prefer to do the approaching myself anyway, that way I choose who I want to talk to, and not the other way around.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:45 am

I want to spend some time in Tokyo. So I am hoping my next job is there. That way I can go to the university of tokyo. Otherwise maybe I can get a job in Huntington England and go to Cambridge.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:51 am

I've always wanted to go to a university like Cambridge. Because all the smart people go to universities like that. If I did, I would definitely study Arts. I'm big on literature, reading and writing.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:22 pm

sunshower wrote:
I've always wanted to go to a university like Cambridge. Because all the smart people go to universities like that. If I did, I would definitely study Arts. I'm big on literature, reading and writing.

I would study math or theoretical physics.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:30 pm

Shiggily wrote:
sunshower wrote:

I reckon theoretical physics would be quite interesting. I should read up on a few books on physics sometime. I was always a bit put off maths throughout school because of having to repeat set equations, which seemed really pointless to me; once I knew how to do it, why did I need to keep repeating it 100 times? Also I couldn't find any purpose to solving repetitive sums. Problem solving was a bit more interesting...

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:50 pm

sunshower wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
sunshower wrote:

I reckon theoretical physics would be quite interesting. I should read up on a few books on physics sometime. I was always a bit put off maths throughout school because of having to repeat set equations, which seemed really pointless to me; once I knew how to do it, why did I need to keep repeating it 100 times? Also I couldn't find any purpose to solving repetitive sums. Problem solving was a bit more interesting...

there is a fair chance that the repetition is for people with bad memories.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:50 pm

sunshower wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
sunshower wrote:

You might like "real" maths that people do in college, though IMO it is necessary to develop a certain level of arithmetic competence beforehand. You find out what, say, "complex numbers" and "sets" are useful for and that's just at the very beginning. Also, instead of introducing one concept and producing ten examples/problems, you may find that in some courses you encounter ten concepts before encountering one example/problem. In that sense maths in college is different and challenging, not at all repetitive.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:51 pm

Shiggily wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
sunshower wrote:

there is a fair chance that the repetition is for people with bad memories.

Quite possibly... :lol:

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:01 pm

Also, if you're interested in theoretical physics it is necessary to be proficient in applied mathematics. You don't have to be a mathematician per se (though many physicists are, and certain physicists even win Fields Medals), but you really should know:

* Elementary group theory
* Linear representations of groups, especially Lie groups
* Differential calculus
* Techniques to solve various ODEs and PDEs
* Real and complex analysis
* Some functional analysis

If you want any more information there's a fairly good guide on how to be a good theoretical physicist here.

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2009, 10:07 pm

sunshower wrote:
My beef with these things has always been you really don't need a degree to understand them. Call me concieded but I have been constantly disapointed by my teachers when it came to certain english classes. They always want to annalyze books to death and then do it some more. For once I would like a class that has a list of books and then tells me to read a minimum of three of them then write and essay or two about them. Depending ont he class, an example might be comparing the style of Hemmingway to the style of Thomas Wolfe or something like that. Or have a class room discussion on the reason a certain person can be influential as opposed to all of the card board cut out classes I feel I am constantly having to endure. I was also pretty irritated with journalism classes as well. These days it really sucks to see how far the bar has dropped on true jounalism. It is all about getting the "story" out first and I used quotes to emphasize my sarcasm on the subject. True jounalists these days seem to be freelancers who trek into places like south america only to get killed and hope to god thier articles get published...I know if a guy who was killed in Mexico City during the hostle take over... yeah ... but good luck with getting into an elitist school. Those f*****s are expensive. :x

Last edited by Zane on 02 Jan 2009, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:08 pm

Hector wrote:
Also, if you're interested in theoretical physics it is necessary to be proficient in applied mathematics. You don't have to be a mathematician per se (though many physicists are, and certain physicists even win Fields Medals), but you really should know:

* Differential calculus

If you want any more information there's a fairly good guide on how to be a good theoretical physicist here.

Hmm might look into that. I did calculus maths (Maths B in QLD) in yrs 11 and 12, and got an A for it, so I have some grounding. In fact, I think I was the only person to get an A who didn't do engineering maths as well (Maths C in QLD). I've always been put off though by there being only one right answer; I love it when there's an endless stream of potential answers, or questions, and the feeling of your mind expanding as you think through it, which is probably why I like englishy subjects so much.

However, lately I have been tempted to delve back into maths again because I like the intellectual challenge of it.

I'd probably better have a shower and change into some clothes and eat breakfast first though (it's past 1pm here, this is the height of laziness).

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2009, 10:12 pm

sunshower wrote:
Hector wrote:

* Differential calculus

Hmm might look into that. I did calculus maths (Maths B in QLD) in yrs 11 and 12, and got an A for it, so I have some grounding. In fact, I think I was the only person to get an A who didn't do engineering maths as well (Maths C in QLD). I've always been put off though by there being only one right answer; I love it when there's an endless stream of potential answers, or questions, and the feeling of your mind expanding as you think through it, which is probably why I like englishy subjects so much.

However, lately I have been tempted to delve back into maths again because I like the intellectual challenge of it.

I'd probably better have a shower and change into some clothes and eat breakfast first though (it's past 1pm here, this is the height of laziness).

Try Phylosophy. If this then that ... ha-ha it isn't really math persay but I find it entertaining. I belive they call it Logic or something liek that. A bunch of story problems and writing. I nicnamed it writers math...

As long as you have nowhere to go and don't break out easy, forget the shower. Enjoy your brunch :)

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:13 pm

Zane wrote:
sunshower wrote:
My beef with these things has always been you really don't need a degree to understand them. Call me concieded but I have been constantly disapointed by my teachers when it came to certain english classes. They always want to annalyze books to death and then do it some more. For once I would like a class that has a list of books and then tells me to read a minimum of three of them then write and essay or two about them. Depending ont he class, an example might be comparing the style of Hemmingway to the style of Thomas Wolfe or something like that. Or have a class room discussion on the reason a certain person can be influential as opposed to all of the card board cut out classes I feel I am constantly having to endure. I was also pretty irritated with journalism classes as well. These days it really sucks to see how far the bar has dropped on true jounalism. It is all about getting the "story" out first and I used quotes to emphasize my sarcasm on the subject. True jounalists these days seem to be freelancers who trek into places like south america only to get killed and hope to god thier articles get published...I know if a guy who was killed in Mexico City during the hostle take over... yeah ... but good luck with getting into an elitist school. Those f**** are expensive. :x

Yeah, it's more of a vague wish than a reality for me really, just because I'd read so many books mentioning those universities, and call me an elitist but the intellectual academic snobbery appeals to me :lol:

I have felt that literature, philosophy, and psychology classes I've taken in my uni (especially philosophy) have expanded my mind, but I got too irritated with philosophy because while we could expand our minds through classroom discussion, for our essays we were expected to constrict our minds to figure out the one right interpretation of essays of famous philosophers, and my thinking has never really be mainstream, thus figuring out the "mainstream" interpretation was not always easy.

I loved reading the philosophy books though by Descartes etc. They posed some interesting questions.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:17 pm

Zane wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Hector wrote:

* Differential calculus

As long as you have nowhere to go and don't break out easy, forget the shower. Enjoy your brunch :)

Screw that, I like being clean. :lol:

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2009, 11:11 pm

sunshower wrote:
Zane wrote:
sunshower wrote:
My beef with these things has always been you really don't need a degree to understand them. Call me concieded but I have been constantly disapointed by my teachers when it came to certain english classes. They always want to annalyze books to death and then do it some more. For once I would like a class that has a list of books and then tells me to read a minimum of three of them then write and essay or two about them. Depending ont he class, an example might be comparing the style of Hemmingway to the style of Thomas Wolfe or something like that. Or have a class room discussion on the reason a certain person can be influential as opposed to all of the card board cut out classes I feel I am constantly having to endure. I was also pretty irritated with journalism classes as well. These days it really sucks to see how far the bar has dropped on true jounalism. It is all about getting the "story" out first and I used quotes to emphasize my sarcasm on the subject. True jounalists these days seem to be freelancers who trek into places like south america only to get killed and hope to god thier articles get published...I know if a guy who was killed in Mexico City during the hostle take over... yeah ... but good luck with getting into an elitist school. Those f**** are expensive. :x

Yeah, it's more of a vague wish than a reality for me really, just because I'd read so many books mentioning those universities, and call me an elitist but the intellectual academic snobbery appeals to me :lol:

I have felt that literature, philosophy, and psychology classes I've taken in my uni (especially philosophy) have expanded my mind, but I got too irritated with philosophy because while we could expand our minds through classroom discussion, for our essays we were expected to constrict our minds to figure out the one right interpretation of essays of famous philosophers, and my thinking has never really be mainstream, thus figuring out the "mainstream" interpretation was not always easy.

I loved reading the philosophy books though by Descartes etc. They posed some interesting questions.
The true phylosopher knows nothing. -Zane ... I wrote that for a paper once. My teache laughed and gave me a C+. It was for a final that really did not matter.

As for your interest in the snobbery. Wait until you meet the najority who go there and you just might change your mind. I can not stand the people who are allowed unlimited access to things due to their familys wealth. That is exactly how we ended up with the problems we have in so many ways. If you ask me Uni should be free so long as you make the grade. I am an idealist of mass proportions though. In my opinion that is why I am now a comic. We much prefer the lighter side of things. My faovrite phylosopher was either Jesus or Socrates. It is a tie. The best part about Socrates is he is only known about through Plato but he is legeondary for his death. The fact he was killed because of other men's pride astounds me and better yet that he dies sticking to his guns. All he did was call people out on their s**t. Brilliant. Finding flaw by having other people see them in their own arguments. I mean common, brilliant. I got into so much trouble for doing the exact same thing. He was once rumored to be known by the oricles as the smartes man in all of Athens/Greece. Mearly because he admitted he knew nothing. Also a big fan of "I think therforeI am"

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 11:53 pm

Zane wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Zane wrote:
sunshower wrote:

The true phylosopher knows nothing. -Zane ... I wrote that for a paper once. My teache laughed and gave me a C+. It was for a final that really did not matter.

As for your interest in the snobbery. Wait until you meet the najority who go there and you just might change your mind. I can not stand the people who are allowed unlimited access to things due to their familys wealth. That is exactly how we ended up with the problems we have in so many ways. If you ask me Uni should be free so long as you make the grade. I am an idealist of mass proportions though. In my opinion that is why I am now a comic. We much prefer the lighter side of things. My faovrite phylosopher was either Jesus or Socrates. It is a tie. The best part about Socrates is he is only known about through Plato but he is legeondary for his death. The fact he was killed because of other men's pride astounds me and better yet that he dies sticking to his guns. All he did was call people out on their sh**. Brilliant. Finding flaw by having other people see them in their own arguments. I mean common, brilliant. I got into so much trouble for doing the exact same thing. He was once rumored to be known by the oricles as the smartes man in all of Athens/Greece. Mearly because he admitted he knew nothing. Also a big fan of "I think therforeI am"

I was thinking more along the lines of intellectual snobbery, but oh well. Wealth and background are pretty irrelevant, not to mention stupid, but oh well. And I am still here. I seriously need to get off the net and do something hahaha.