Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 9:43 am

The point is that you have to be able to understand the opponent's argument to be able to meaningfully argue your own position- if you really have no idea where the other side's reasoning is coming from, you won't be able to refute it. Thus, mental exercises like this to demonstrate to yourself that another viewpoint does exist and can be defended.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 6:32 pm

Australia is a country founded on white, christian, anglo saxon principles, this is no place for a social experiment involving multiculturalism, Asian, Africans, South Americans do not understand what it is to be an Aussie, they dont get the principles of 'mateship' and a 'fair go'.

Our culture is being systematically undermined. Take Kingsford in southern Sydney, 20 years ago it was a good Aussie suberb, then a couple of asians moved in and now you have to play spot the Aussie. Worse still there used to be great rock fishing nearby, there was once great camaraderie amongst the Aussies, we understood the rules, understood the need to leave breeding stock and certainly never brought our wives along. It was a great day out for a few Aussie blokes to discuss the cricket and footy, catch some fish and have a bit of a break from the wife and kids. Now the asians have taken over, the area is nearly fished out, all you can hear are the wives yelling at the kids, and as for camaraderie they may all look the same but no-one speaks each others language. So much for multiculturalism

Australia is in drought it is the most arid continent on earth and yet we continue to bring in immigrants from all over the world, all over the country these people are consuming this precious resource (water) without a care, asians come from a wet climate and do not understand the need for water conservation and when you try and explain this they suddenly 'speaky no Engrish'

Now we are getting Somali refugees, all they are doing is coming here forming new ghettos and contiuning their civil war on our soil, the same goes for the Lebanese and Jews.

Its not that I am racist but if you are going to come here you must speak english, understand our proud history, embrace our culture and support our Aussie sporting heroes. I bet if you ask any of these people who 'the Don' was they would not have a clue, and don't even bother asking them what his batting average was :roll:

If you think that knowing about the "the Don", the 'birth of our nation at Gallipoli' or the words to 'Waltzing Matilda' are not important well then you do not belong here

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 9:21 pm

Here is to keeping male foreskins attached. If God Himself saw fit to give men foreskins, then by what right do parents remove them from their infant sons? If some adult is crazy enough to get circumcised then let him, but to do it to helpless babies? That is child abuse isn't it?

ruveyn (who was circumcised at 8 days).

P.S. Whew. I almost convinced myself. Jeeeeesus!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 9:23 pm

Sand wrote:
Might as well pick something totally horrifying. There are millions of people dying of starvation each year. Why not remove all inhibitions to them eating each other. It will lower the population pressure and it can be worked so that Christians and Muslims eat each other and not their own religious compatriots. A flood of new recipe books should hit the market shortly.

If massive cannibalism is repulsive, we could merely consume politicians and lawyers and financial crooks that commit disasters. That should certainly keep them on their toes.

What about eating the Poor. We remove useless gits from our midst and get some protein for it. My apologies to Johanthan Swift who thought of this a long time ago.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 9:29 pm

And just what is wrong with having intercourse with one's sister, mother, brother, father son or daughter as long as birth control is used? The incest taboo arose before there was any effective birth control. But that is no longer the case. The family that lays together stays together, yes? This is really an example of solid family values.

ruveyn

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 12:56 am

You should get your male babies circumcised at 8 days because it will lead to a far lower chance of Urinary tract infect, (I don't see that the argument that UTI's in males are rare and are easily treated as important), and will lower the risk of STD infection (even though the lowered risk is minimal at best)

Circumcision also lowers the possibility of penile cancer (again who cares that penile cancer is rare 1/100'000),

Circumcision keeps the penis clean, of course you could just wash it.

The argument that many men feel mutilated is just piffle, get over it and look at all the wonderful attributes, yes you may have reduced sensation to the glans but again what a small price to pay for less need of diligence toward your hygiene

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 1:03 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
You should get your male babies circumcised at 8 days because it will lead to a far lower chance of Urinary tract infect, (I don't see that the argument that UTI's in males are rare and are easily treated as important), and will lower the risk of STD infection (even though the lowered risk is minimal at best)

Circumcision also lowers the possibility of penile cancer (again who cares that penile cancer is rare 1/100'000),

Circumcision keeps the penis clean, of course you could just wash it.

The argument that many men feel mutilated is just piffle, get over it and look at all the wonderful attributes, yes you may have reduced sensation to the glans but again what a small price to pay for less need of diligence toward your hygiene

Well I know that. Circumcision saves us from the dreadful curse of Smegma. I was just doing the Devil's Advocate bit.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 1:40 am

Ruveyn, the goal is to make convincing arguments for a position that some reasonable people actually do hold, not to make obvious parodies.