I just cooked my daughter dinner

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 6:08 am

I cooked meatballs with tamatoes, mushrooms and gluten free spaghetti and a cup of OJ to drink. That's pretty healthy isn't it :)
Do you have some healthy and easy to do recipes you would like to share and of what your children like?

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2008, 7:32 am

Duck fried in its natural layer of fat, ( not a cholesterol kind ), with steamed broccoli.

Crispy fried bacon bits on a big bed of crunchy green lettuce, with avocado pieces.

Roast leg of lamb, with small chunks of broccoli and carrot stir-fried in lemon juice and olive oil, ( and lamb juice ).

Baked/steamed potato with pesto.

Chickpeas cooked with tomatoes and bacon bits, plus sliced courgettes added at last moment, served on brown rice.

Tuna mayonnaise with flageolet beans, plus lots of fresh parsley, on bed of lettuce/chicory.

Red lentil curry/madras with brown rice and dollop of natural yoghurt, side salad of chopped tomatoes and cucumber, and lime pickle.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 7:34 am

It sounds like you have lots of good recipes.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2008, 7:43 am

BellaDonna wrote:
It sounds like you have lots of good recipes.

Not that many actually; that's about two thirds of them. :lol:

And a lot of the time we eat very simple/fast stuff, like tinned mackerel in vinegar with small slices of fresh apple ( pref. Pink Lady or Fuji !) added, or fried egg and salad, or, for my son, cornflakes with banana slices, sunflower seeds, and a few raisins, ( and organic milk ). Sometimes big soups. And lots of rice cakes, with avocado mush, almond butter, chocolate spread, :oops: , vegetable yeast patés, honey and almond flakes, etc. Corn chips with garlicky/spicy baked/kidney bean dips.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:57 am

my kids like beef and biscuit bake, and mexican casserole............
Beef and Biscuit bake: fry 1 pound of ground beef until cooked all the way through. add 1 cup of tomato sauce. remove from heat. mix together 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. add this combination to the beef sauce. open 1 can of refrigerated biscuits ( ie; Pillsbury). press the biscuits into a greased 9x12 pan. pour the beef concoction over the biscuits. sprinkle the entire mixture with cheddar cheese. bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Mexican casserole: fry 1 pound of ground beef until cooked all the way through . add 1 handful of flour to the beef along with 2 small cans of chicken broth. mix together on stovetop until thickened. remove from heat and add 16 oz of sour cream. stir mixture together until combined. crush tortilla chips and spread them on the bottom of a greased 9 x 12 pan. pour 1/2 of the beef mixture over the top of the chips. sprinkle a handful of diced onion over the beef. sprinkle a handful of shredded cheddar cheese over the onion. spoon dollops of salsa over the cheese. repeat the layering process with the remaining tortilla chips, then the beef, onion, salsa, and cheese. bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 2:43 pm

You all are making me hungry!

Lucymac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2008, 11:57 pm

And I let her whenever possible do lasgana or meatballs, or "dipping sauce", or meatloaf. She loves to cook so much. I found for aspies it's creative, nonstressful, and fun. Try the following:

Fill up your kitchen with awesome fresh ingredients and then anything she makes is delicious!
Fresh garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, red wine ( okay I drink more than we cook with but I have a disabled child!), onions, dill, rosemary.

Meatballs: Let her mix worshetcire sauce (no matter how much), egg whites, and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Have fun making the ball shapes! Throw in a pot with canned tomatoe sauce, teapoon or two with sugar, garlic, oregano, parsley, basil. Mix it all up and let simmmer for two hours. Make your pasta and have fun!! !

My DD LOVES to cook and has a very exotic taste. Just fill your pantry with lots of spices and pasta/rice and let them go. There are few mistakes you can make with bread crumb, garlic, lemon, parsley, basil.

I have learned to just enjoy the meal. Sometimes the best is just time and seasoning an love. Let your aspie have a ball in the kitchen. I love it and have gained about ten pounds but seeing the smile on her face is worth it!
Lucy :D

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 3:10 am

That sounds just YUM! Altho give me to real pasta please lol.
An old favourite of Mr 6's used to be rice, canned salmon or tuna and veges all mixed up like a salad.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 1:43 pm

Thanks for your recipes. I'll print them out.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 11:42 pm

BellaDonna wrote:
I cooked meatballs with tamatoes, mushrooms and gluten free spaghetti and a cup of OJ to drink. That's pretty healthy isn't it :)
Do you have some healthy and easy to do recipes you would like to share and of what your children like?

I don't know about your daughter but a lot of us Aspies have GERD. If I was given tomatoes, orange juice plus a starch like spaghetti I would have GERD so bad. I think we do better on alkaline foods and green vegetables instead of acidics. And you don't have to cook gluten free by buying gluten free spaghetti because grains aren't really that healthy. Starch and simple carbohydrates are not good for us. Fix something like chicken with steamed vegetables and steamed buckwheat. By the way buckwheat is not a grain and it is not even wheat. Its related to the chard family. And juice is generally considered bad these days- juice is still sugar and the only vitamins in it are the artificial ones added. Tea or water or the occasional Sprite please. Again many of us are hypoglycemic so spaghetti and juice is bad combo.