What are your favourite book(s) ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2008, 2:12 am

Sora wrote:
All children's or youth's books... Shows my current non-biological age, I guess.

I like kids books best as well. I do read some books in the adult section, particuarly in the nonfiction area, but my favorite fiction books are in kids. I'm excited about the new Artemis Fowl and Inkheart book that have been just released.

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2008, 12:18 pm

Entity wrote:
Currently I'm reading 'The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time' by Mark Haddon.

I've read that one, its about a boy with autism who tries to find out who killed a dog he liked. Another fiction book about autism is called, "Rules" by Cynthia Lord. Its not from the perspective of an autistic person though. But its still good.

Anyway, My favorite book is "The life of Pi" by Yann Martel.
When I first saw this book in the library, I saw the title and thought it was a math history book. I saw the cover, a drawing of a boy in a lifeboat with a tiger, and thought it was a poetry book. I read the back and and saw that it really was a man-vs-nature story!
This book is in 3 parts.
Part 1: pages 3 to 117. We learn who Pi is and we find out why he is called Pi, and we read about his perspecitives on things like religion (He is very religious) and zoos. (His father runs a zoo) Don't worry about being bored with this part, the chapters are short, and although this book is from Pi's point of veiw, there are chapters in italics witch are from Yann Martels point of veiw; he's getting the story from Pi when Pi is an adult
Part 2: pages 121 to 362. The adventure begins! Pi is in the lifeboat with the 450-pound bengal tiger. DONT WORRY, the tiger doesnt die. It would be too sad otherwise. But the book still has its ways of getting you emotionally involved.
Part 3: pages 365 to 401. Pi gets interviewed by 2 japanese men who work for the shipping company whose boat sank. They're trying to find out why the boat sank , but will they believe Pi's survival story?

And one more thing, be shure to read the prolouge. It explains how the author met Pi.

Dollypony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 4:46 pm

Eli by Bill Myers
Books by Diane Mott Davidson
The Narnia series
And a bunch of classical books

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2008, 6:58 pm

One Hundred Years of Solitude and Infinite Jest are the greatest novels ever written.
the Bible and Finnegans Wake are the only books that would merit a lifetime of study.

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2008, 8:55 pm

White Teeth by Zadie Smith

The Information by Martin Amis
also, Dead Babies, Money, Night Train

Lolita

Frankenstein

Dracula

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2008, 9:31 pm

I love old SF from the 50s and 60s. Brian Aldiss, Harry Harrison, Robert Heinlein, and Poul Anderson come to mind.

My personal all time favorites are Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams or The Stainless Steele Rat by Harry Harrison for fiction, and World Religions by John Bowker for non fiction.

28 Dec 2008, 9:38 pm

What about favorite movie script? :P

Benny & Joon

The movie's better though. The movie script is too depressing and it's like reading a parody on the movie and Sam was an idiot in it and Joon was more like a four year old and they were in Seattle instead of Spokane. If they kept Seattle, then I would have been obsessed with Seattle.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 10:31 am

- The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
- The Mathematical Universe by William Dunham
- A Beautiful Math by Tom Siegfried
- A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar
- Piaget's Conception of Evolution by John G. Messerly
- Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- Socrates to Sartre: A History of Philosophy by Samuel Enoch Stumpf
- The Mind of the Market by Michael Schermer
- The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language by John McWhorter

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 10:37 am

The Man Who Was Thursday
and
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 11:02 am

I like just about anything by Stephen King and Dean Koontz.
Same goes for those Goosebumps books. The Harry Potter series.
The Lionboy trilogy.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2008, 5:57 pm

I know I'm going to look like a nerd for writing this, but I found David Copperfield to be one of the best books I've ever read.

Shorter books that I enjoyed include Ender's Game, Harry Potter, Redwall and Pendragon.