Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 2:03 am

raggle-taggle-gypsy wrote:
garyww wrote:
There have been intelligent writers and then there have been knowledgable writers. You make the distinction.

It's a tringle. There's intelligence, knowledge and wisdom.

The triangle I see is from the Bible, and that is Wisdom, knowledge, and understanding.

Consider basic addition...

Knowledge is knowing the numbers and being able to add them together
Understanding is realizing the numbers are man made and you can add things together in symbols and other base systems (i.e. binary code).
Wisdom is the ability to effectively apply the function of addition to your purpose (such as use of binary code in computers).

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 2:08 am

slowmutant wrote:
If intelligence isn't important, why does everyone here at WP go to such lengths to prove how smart they are? Since this is the Internet, we can't all whip it out and measure to see who's got the bigger dick. And I'm serious when I say this. Sometimes this website seems like one big intellectual pissing-contest.

Pardon the vulgar language. :oops: :P

LOL

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 2:23 am

KevinLA wrote:
There are a lot of other attributes besides intelligence that will get you farther in life.

> Personality

> Good looks

> Athletic ability

I define intelligence as the ability to understand, extraprolate, and utilize information.

On the surface, this would seem very valuable. But in reality, having advanced intelligence is worthless. Most people on this board have advanced intelligence. We go in depth with a variety of topics and issues.

What we do on this board is pointless and unimportant. Why do we do it then? Because we don't have lives. It is as simple as that.

What we do doesn't lead to anything tangible. Most people NTs would come on this board and think, "Who the f*ck cares?".

First of all, personality doesn't really matter. Nobody cares enough about other people to know them like that, generally speaking of course. Some people will psychoanalyze you in conversation and tolerate more of what you say based on what they consider your personality, but most of the time, people lack the intelligence or motivation or something to make it worth their while to analyze or get to know.

Second, beauty is both a blessing and a curse. It's a superficial quality, and if you are looking for more than that, then it won't get you anywhere you really want to go. Besides, it fades.

Third, athletic ability fades with age as well. Plus, it is so easy to lose that ability (such as car accident jacking up a knee, athletic injury, etc.). It's one of the most fragile abilities a person could have. Even then, many athletes hate the idea that most people consider them dumb jocks.

If intelligence is worthless, well one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Sometimes I question the point of me coming to this board, like it's pretty pathetic I spend so much time talking to usernames. I personally find it therapeutic, and I get a lot off my chest. I find many people (who I thought didn't exist) who actually go through many of the same hardships as myself, and I can relate to them, and they can relate to me. That's awesome. I also find it helpful in ID'ing the things that are causing my life problems and also ID'ing possible solution ideas to helping improve on that. I know cure gets thrown out a lot on here, and it's not me trying to find a cure as much as an upgrade.

While many NT's would come on this board asking who cares? I also think those same NT's are the type to not care about anything else but themselves anyway. It's nice to have something filter out people like that. Talk about an intelligent design.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 2:42 am

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Well, I know my dog is a helluva lot smarter than I am.

If you gotta dog, then you are probably a dog person. I don't mean this disrespectful or anything, but maybe that's why we end up debating a lot. My best friend though is a huge dog person. She's going to school to be a dog trainer. Apart we are pretty awesome, but nobody can beat us together. (She and I do debate against each other a lot, but the worst was when we argued about whether or not a comma was misplaced in a sentence). So what I'm really saying here, if someone were to say something you and I both decide is jacked up, then I feel sorry for the poor soul who ends up debating against you and I as a team.

I will say even though I'm a cat person, I think when my kids get older we'll be getting a dog. I want a retired police dog who specialized in drug search for a pet when my daughters are teenagers. Talk about the best candidate to sniff out their dates.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 12:58 pm

falcorn wrote:
i agree 110%, intelligence is completely worthless. i have high intelligence but i suck at everything else and that = i have a worthless life

It's good to see someone truly understands my point.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 7:53 pm

falcorn wrote:
i agree 110%, intelligence is completely worthless. i have high intelligence but i suck at everything else and that = i have a worthless life

Almost certainly your life is much better than the life of most humans that lived in history and much probably is better than the life of most humans who live today (at least, you can read and write and have acess to a computer).

And why your life is (probably) marvellous (for these standards, of course)? Because the technical and scientifical knowledge devoloped during centuries. And what create these knowledge was... inteligence!

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Dec 2008, 8:48 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Intelligence governs one's ability to utilize all of these traits to the best of their ability. So yes, it is important.

I dont know about that. My (mother's) dog has a pretty low IQ but she is a genius at creating fun, happiness and making others laugh and being generally great company.

You can't compare dog-mind with human-mind.

Yes you can.

LOL

Yes, yes can. What you can meaningfully drawn from the comparison is another matter. ;)

But I suppose many people do underestimate the workings of animals. I was very taken aback the first time I heard someone refer to a cow as "stupid animals", it is an adjective that I really never ascribed to the cattle I grew up with. They usually have a complacency to them, though they vary in these matters and some have some very willful personalities, no doubt through backs to wilder times in their genetic history. But people that haven't been around them seem to assume they are unthinking and with no discernible sign of individual personality. Maybe it's just a coping mechanism that helps them tuck in that steak dinner?

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 9:30 pm

How come every time I come here, this thread has a different title?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 10:15 pm

Intelligence is not important if you are breath-takingly attractive and sparkingly telegenic. Otherwise, you'd be well-advised to treat intelligence as your ace in the hole.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2008, 10:19 pm

(Intellectual) Inquisitiveness is far more important than intelligence itself anyway.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 10:46 pm

(delete)

Last edited by KevinLA on 28 Dec 2008, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 10:47 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Intelligence is not important if you are breath-takingly attractive and sparkingly telegenic. Otherwise, you'd be well-advised to treat intelligence as your ace in the hole.

Agree.

But a lot of people put a premium on intelligence. Intelligence is way overvalued. I wish I realized that a LONG time ago. I focused too much on being intelligent when I should have been focusing on being engaging, funny, and likeable.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 10:49 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Intelligence is not important if you are breath-takingly attractive and sparkingly telegenic.

PHEW!

I can rest easy then.