Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2009, 4:36 am

Anemone wrote:
mixtapebooty wrote:
Considering sex as a special interest makes me wonder a little bit. Has anyone ever kept you from or disallowed you from pursing one of your special interests (not related to sex) because you were female, Anenome? I'm that person if there ever was one.

I'm not really able to publish in academic journals or participate in academic culture because I'm too girly. That's a work culture thing - I don't know if it counts.

I have major problems with acting culture because of how sexualized female roles are - I'd love to perform but there aren't any thug 1 or thug 2 roles for women; it's always stripper 1 or stripper 2 (I exaggerate slightly). Again, I'm too girly/nice for that sort of thing, not tough enough.

I was pushed into studying science because I was female and gifted. They wanted to improve their stats, without thought to how well we did. Some did well, some didn't. They didn't tell us we could be too girly to succeed. I guess they didn't know.

My true special interest, mythology (and by extension movies and comics) was not discouraged so much as ignored, because there was no one in my environment who could see how it applied to the real world.

I think it depends on your cultural background as much as anything whether you're prevented from following your interests or not because of your sex/gender.

Actually, now that I think of it, the one real barrier that was because of my being female was my father's lack of interest in investing in long term education for me. He wanted me to get one degree then get a job. (And I mostly paid for the degree.) If he'd been willing to help me all the way through grad school perhaps I could have done better? On the other hand, he offered to fund a bakery for my brother if he wanted (he didn't). I don't think parents realize how sexist they can be in how much they invest in their kids.

I'm sure in the thousand times that I've cried, at least once has been for you.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 6:54 pm

Speaking of sex being a "special interest", I remember reading somewhere that Kinsey was suspected of being autistic. He's certainly presented that way in the movie that was made about him not long ago.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 7:02 pm

That's interesting as he is especially noted for his 'in-depth', almost overkill fasination with all of the subjects he was involved with in his lifetime.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2009, 4:50 am

Hey,
I hate to break this up, but we are getting off subject. I think gary, Ike, Anemone, or myself should start a mature sexual discussion thread in Adult Life Discussion. Maybe discuss Kinsey there? I feel like any adult male issues should be addressed in Adult Life Discussion, unless they explicitly belong in the 'other' Adult Forum. Anyway, with that said, why not start a more mature thread about sex in the 'other' Adult Forum? Gary, I think is a riot that people get so up in arms over your 'offensive' posts in the Adult Sex Forum, but I'm not laughing at the people who aren't laughing. I think what they expect is for an adult to step in to the Adult Sex Forum and start something mature, and they find it really frustrating that the Forum is so jokingly nonchalant about such a serious topic to them. A lot of Aspies don't have sex often, easily, or at all, and are looking for sex information on WP. I try to keep that in mind.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 5:36 pm

I tend to think that a lot of folks on WP get overly concerned about threads getting "off-topic" ... but then I think that may also have a lot to do with the structure of the forums in general, meaning, the interface, the way you have to select specific forums and then specific threads and such actually encourage a specific way of thinking about the forums as being encapsulated.

What's wrong with "cross pollination" or "interdisciplinary study"? I've been working on a web forum application myself (currently stalled due to a move) that may encourage a different mode of thinking.

Personally I like the idea of the forum being treated more like in-person conversation... that is, when you're talking with a group of people in person, rarely will anyone say "we're getting off topic here", because people are generally just enjoying the conversation. (And that's kind of normal I think for aspies in general anyway, given the whole run-on sentence thing.) In my experience, the only time that people say "we're getting off-topic" in person is when the conversation is intended to serve a specific function, like if it's a meeting, conference or jury.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:00 pm

I gave up on talking about sex in a mature manner after only two days of being here. It seems almost impossible to do which is why most of posts are so outrageous trying to beat peoples heads against the wall hoping for some sanity to spill out on the floor.
I have a big soul. That's my new mantra so I can be politically correct here.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2009, 6:24 pm

Ok. I'll let this one slide. BUT, someone has to tell me how to pronounce Anemone's name.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 7:08 pm

mixtapebooty wrote:
Ok. I'll let this one slide. BUT, someone has to tell me how to pronounce Anemone's name.

I've always heard it pronounced short-u sound (as in "under"), short-e (as in "when"), short-u (as in "under"), long-e (as in "keep").

un-em-un-ee

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2009, 7:45 pm

That's what I thought.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 4:17 pm

It's in the dictionary. I usually go with ah-NEH-muh-nee.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2009, 4:21 pm

That's what I really thought.