Parents: Who had colicky baby or traumatic births????

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lucymac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2008, 5:40 pm

To responding to my post about colicy babies/difficult labor. Maybe there is not a connection but for me personally there is. My labor with my son was easier, planned, and yes I had "experience" to know what to expect. My DD who may be aspie labor was HORRIFIC but also the most memorable and visceral experience of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way now looking back.

Thanks for all! :)

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 6:05 pm

Yes it is horrific. Men put us women through alot of trauma having sex with us and getting us pregnant and they seem so smug about it, like they don't care. They should care :evil: because they did that to us.

What I mean to say is that it is easy for men not to take any responsability because they can't get pregnant. That is what is not fair because they are just as responsable for making a baby.

Last edited by BellaDonna on 30 Dec 2008, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2008, 1:36 am

I was born at 6.5 months at home on my mom's couch. I stayed in NICU until I was about 3 months old but had to go back and forth for blood transfusions/weight loss. My mom and dad said that I never slept unless I was put in the car and driven around. I was toilet trained at 1.5.

When I was about 3, I was attempting to read the newspaper and could do so silently, but couldn't do so out loud until I was about 4 or so.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 10:27 am

My son was a very fussy baby and he didn't sleep much. He was way too interested in light & shadows and patterns. However, labor and delivery was very easy, even though he was my first (and only) child. More than one of the nurses commented to me that I had an easy labor.

krista
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2008, 12:53 pm

my son was very coliky and when he was on solids i took all gluten and dairy out of his diet because these seemed to really hurt him. i tried to take him to the doctor and was just, kind of, dismissed as an over worried new mum. this was in scotland, i'm in california now and the difference is like night and day, many doctors here are very surprised that his condition was not diagnosed earlier.

krista
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2008, 1:09 pm

my son was very coliky and when he was on solids i took all gluten and dairy out of his diet because these seemed to really hurt him. i tried to take him to the doctor and was just, kind of, dismissed as an over worried new mum. this was in scotland, i'm in california now and the difference is like night and day, many doctors here are very surprised that his condition was not diagnosed earlier.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 2:47 pm

My AS child had a very traumatic birth. Emergency C, lots of drops in heart rate, sucked in a lot of meconium.

As a baby he was not colicky, but was very demanding. Very smart. And very different from other babies. He just need "more," of about everything. Except sleep. That he did less than average. Good thing he was so cool and fun, given all the stress he caused us; helped balance things out.

jaelb17
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2009, 2:44 pm

Jake was taken via emergency cesearean 8 weeks early. The blood flow in the cord was reverse and he was losing weight. He was born in distress, 3 weeks undersize, at 2 lb 13 oz. He was extremely colicky, cried contantly, NEVER slept. He was hypersensitive to light, noise, touch. I struggled to nurse him for 14 months, and supplemented with formula as well. He seemed perpetually hungry, but fussed through every feeding. He wanted to be held 24/7. I slept with him on my chest. We found one way to calm him--radio static. Even as a toddler and young child, he was fussy, slept very little, and was easily startled. We had him tested for autism at 2 but they said no. He was diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder at age 8 and he wasn't diagnosed with Aspergers until age 9. We are told the Aspergers is a result of his low birth weight, although I believe his father may have and his 17 year old cousin definitely has undiagnosed Aspergers.
Jael

Sally872
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2009, 9:21 pm

My DD is now 5, but she was a difficult pregnancy and was born by c-section for failure to progress. I had pre-eclampsia. After she was born, she cried constantly, had trouble eating, had reflux and never slept, EVER!! ! The most she would sleep were 2 hour stretches 3 or 4 times a day since the day she was born until she was 2.5 years old. She flat out refused to sleep laying flat or in a crib, so she slept in her bouncy chair until she was 7 months old. It took us hours and hours to get her to go to sleep and then the minute we would set her down, her eyes would pop right open.

If we would go someplace where she hadn't been (the mall, busy store, etc.), when we would get home, she would have a complete meltdown and scream for 2 or 3 hours because she got overstimulated. This happened since she was born. She would also have certain periods during the day for the first year that she would just cry for 2 or 3 hours at a time like clockwork.

If she wasn't crying (which was hardly ever), she just stared at us. She didn't smile that much as a baby and just looked at us. She never played with baby toys, rattles, blocks. She seemed to like to watch the computer, but she could never figure out what to do with a toy it seemed like.

She did not babble and said very few words until 18 months. I began to wonder if she was speech delayed, but then one day at 18 months, she just spoke in sentences one day. My husband and I were in shock since she only had said a few words and then out of no where, she had complete sentences.

The first couple of years were really hard on my husband and me. My DS was a completely different "easy" baby. They are 16 months apart but I do not suspect he has AS. Even now at 5 and almost 4, my 4 year old is more independent than my AS 5 year old.

I always wondered if the hard first years make sense since the diagnosis of AS and there were more people with AS children with similar stories.

Sally, AS myself and my 5 year old DD

Lucymac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2009, 11:59 pm

what is interesting to me is how many have responded that their labors were intense and/or the babies were colicky. Also interesting to me is the fact that many have had babies with merconium. My DD had the cord wrapped around her neck, face down presentation, was blue with low apgars, and had merconium. But after forty hours of back labor, grueling and I mean grueling like I was being physically tortured with someone stabbing repetiviely with a meat cleaver in my lower back, she came out looking around with eyes wide open! She never slept, ever! No one believed us. The pediatrician thought I was mad. The only time I had any peace was when I was high on percoset for two to three hours. She continued with all the love, attention, nursing round the clock, never being put down alone ever, for literally 18 months. We swore we would never have another child. Well things got absolutely fantastic at age three years. She was talking, reading, so communicative and adultlike. She was amazingly rare for a toddler. So ofcourse we had another. But the next one just showed us how different she is/was. My DS is completely normal. Cried but not excessively, ate regular intervals, hit all the milestones normally, still not great academically at age 8 but has so many friends, not a problem in the world, very sports oriented and just a normal average happy go lucky kid.

It took me a long time to digest that something is not quite right with my DD. Really the fifth grade teacher clued me in gentley. So I am going forward and hoping of the best.

Just thanks all for responding. I believe there is a research study in here somewhere about colicky kids, merconium, and AS!! !