Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Plasticine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2008, 10:44 pm

I was at the library one day and i was looking up what books they had on Aspergers, and i came across one with a title called "all Cats have Aspergers"! I thought about reading it but then i couldnt find it, so next time i'll look for it again, has anyone read or heard of that book?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 10:48 pm

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 9:35 am

I've heard of it. It's been mentioned on here a bunch. I'm always meaning to get it, but I never get around to it. But I hear it's very good.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 8:30 pm

I've heard of the book but, even before that, I came to the same conclusion independently. People who knew me even used to say that I was a cat.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 9:05 pm

HAHA! That's funny! I always thought my cat had AS. She always squirms away when you try to touch her. She hates people and she will run away if you even try to pick her up. :lol:

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 10:15 pm

I definitely want to read this book. I am a self-diagnosed AS person and a cat lover.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2008, 11:28 pm

I've read it. It's cute. I haven't decided yet whether it's adorably cute or sickeningly cute. I think it depends on your capacity for appreciating pictures of kitties in amusing poses. But it gives a good, simple overview of how a person with AS might see the world and act towards it. Good for kids who have siblings with AS.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:54 am

I can haz aspergerz?

AaronAgassi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2008, 12:42 pm

Cats are solitary until brought together by a food source, specifically: humans. Indeed, cats first vocalize, not to one another, but only after learning that humans respond thereto.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 1:48 pm

I have it.
It is very cute and accurate. If people want to know more about AS, this is actually a great book for them to read.

Plasticine

30 Dec 2008, 4:18 pm

I must read it then!

gypsyrose
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2008, 4:36 pm

Maybe that's like cats seem to like me. I have no problem cuddling or playing with cats (except when their claws get involved--ow!). My roommate's cat, I think, has become very attached to me. He always knows when I arrive home. :cat: I'm actually more comfortable around cats than people--go figure...

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 5:40 pm

am had thought for a long time that many cats [not all cats] have aspergers or autism,and got that book as soon as it came out as assumed it was actually about cats having aspergers.
it wasnt.it's lots of nice photos,and for am-its perfect sized text and not a lot of it-for once,but it was saying a lot of stuff that wasnt true,for example,
cats will become judges and professors-they are better than humans but cant see them ever being given a job like that.
just felt it was crap,maybe one day someone from wp will write a book about cats having ASDs-as its only matter of time before its added to the cat dsm anyway,as theyve already added other human things like ocd and depression.

Biscuit is a typical classic autistic cat [but her maine coon side may be part of this] ,whilst Goldie seems aspie,same with sisters' kitten-cat ruby,her mum is similar,but she was abused until sister rescued her [pregnant with ruby and other kits].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 5:46 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
it was saying a lot of stuff that wasnt true,for example,
cats will become judges and professors-they are better than humans but cant see them ever being given a job like that.
just felt it was crap,maybe one day someone from wp will write a book about cats having ASDs-as its only matter of time before its added to the cat dsm anyway,as theyve already added other human things like ocd and depression.

Biscuit is a typical classic autistic cat [but her maine coon side may be part of this] ,whilst Goldie seems aspie,same with sisters' kitten-cat ruby,her mum is similar,but she was abused until sister rescued her [pregnant with ruby and other kits].

The professors and judges thing - it's not supposed to really be about cats, but a metaphor for Asperger's people. I also want to see a book about cats and other animals with ASDs. I didn't know there was a cat DSM!

I like the book, it is very cute. I'd suggest it for children who have just been diagnosed, though I would've loved it myself at the beginning. So not just children, anyone who appreciates cats.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 5:49 pm

digger1 wrote:
I can haz aspergerz?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 7:22 pm

Maybe I should write a book called "All Cybermats Have Asperger's."