Is it easy for autistic people to become good psychologists?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Qi
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2008, 11:01 pm

By 'easy' I mean as easy as it is for neurotypicals, or easier. The reason I'm asking is because autistic minds work differently from neurotypicals', and have trouble connecting with them and understanding them, and are often handicapped when it comes to social understanding.

I've always thought I'd make a good psychologist, basically because I've been through almost everything, and I have a good understanding of the human psychology, and because I have excellent logical style of thinking. But recently I'm becoming more aware of how different I am from them. I'm not sure I understand them that well. I realized that I'm only able to understand people who are in trouble. I'm not sure how limiting that is.

So what do you think?

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2008, 11:15 pm

I do find it interesting that me and another apsie friend of mine are both psychology majors. It just fits for us. So I agree.

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2008, 11:17 pm

maybe bec aspies are better listeners?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 11:32 pm

I think I understand neurotic people better than I understand normal people. :lol:

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2008, 12:43 am

I'm a Creative Writing/Psychology double major, and I might be dropping the writing to go Pre-Med/Psych. I've always been confused about people's behavior, so I've always been analyzing it in some form because that's the easiest way for me to understand them. Psychology just seems a formalized extension of what I've been doing for years.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 1:26 am

I used to think I'd make a very good Psychologist, even my therapist told me so. But nowadays I think I'm too different and out of tune with people (due to my NVLD) to be able to help them, let alone be liked by them. People come to me for my insight a lot and some are in awe of it, and they love my analytical talent, but pointedly. Therapy is a relationship - and I'm the worst at relationships. I think patients would find me too "radical" in my approach, too connected to truth and discouraging of self-delusion to be digestible.

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2008, 6:03 am

I'm great at giving the despairing hope.

But I'm too analytical to be able to 'comfort' those who just want to whinge.

When I try to offer analytical insight to women in distress, they COMPLETELY disregard it - which I find annoyingly incurious, ungracious and ungrateful.

Women tend to want sympathy, men insight.

29 Dec 2008, 6:10 am

I think psychology is good for aspies because it teaches us how peoples minds work and how they think and feel. It will help improve our TOM. People training to be one, that have to study those areas and read about it. They even have to learn about conditions.