Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

31 Dec 2008, 9:50 pm

I go outside and take a walk when it's not raining. Since I am not working, I need some exericse to stay healthy so I won't gain weight. I still don't eat much food.
I got my unemployment check today so I am going to walk to the bank tomorrow which is over a mile away.

I also have a dance pad for Gamecube.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 11:53 am

hypermorphic wrote:
*work intervenes, soon to be celebrations*

You can get USB pads. There's actually some that include adapters for USB and several of the consoles, so you can hook it up to anything. Haven't tried it, but my guess (as an IT guy) would be that the pad registers as a keyboard, and that the arrows on the pad correspond to the arrows on the keyboard. You might have to tell StepMania what the other two buttons correspond to, but that should be it.

I was happy with my last foam-backed pad from RedOctane, so I'll probably get another from them: USB pads. Don't get a pad with a backing piece, though, they bunch badly will eventually trip you.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Much better to focus on the things you should do (exercise) than on what you should avoid (diet) :)

*settles in for an interesting read on dance pads*

Well, Exercise and diet goes hand and hand doesn't it? If you don't at least watch what you eat a little, then all the hard work is for nothing. I mean, if you do a bunch of exercise, but then go and eat a whole giant pizza, and consume more calories than you burned, it would be pointless, right?

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 1:52 pm

ugh I can't wait to get my DDR back, it got borrowed by my sister a few months ago but with everything that's been going on I haven't gotten the chance to ask as she lives in a different city about 3 hours away

hypermorphic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2009, 7:02 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
*settles in for an interesting read on dance pads*

Well, Exercise and diet goes hand and hand doesn't it? If you don't at least watch what you eat a little, then all the hard work is for nothing. I mean, if you do a bunch of exercise, but then go and eat a whole giant pizza, and consume more calories than you burned, it would be pointless, right?

Sorry, I wrote the last bit as I was rushing out the door. What I meant is that it's hard to stay positive while you're focusing on things that have to be avoided, like specific foods or eating more than you think you should. You're right that eating a whole pizza is counterproductive, but eating pizza at all when you're only allowed half a slice is torturous. It's better to focus on the foods you can have, and with right choices, you can eat virtually as much as you want.

Dealing with GFCF has been really hard for me, but I've been using various mental tricks to get through it. I challenge myself to learn to make gluten free versions of the foods I miss, until I get to the point where most people can't tell the difference, or I get something new or better than I was trying for. I'm also trying to switch from smoking cigarettes to e-cigarettes, which are much healthier for me. Old habits die hard and I still smoke real ones, but if I tried to time myself or limit myself to a certain number per day, I'd go nuts. I'd spend most of my time thinking about not having a real one. So instead I'm focusing on making the ecig more attractive, by getting new flavors, and getting used to "smoking" in public places that I've never been able to before.

Just my 2 cents :)

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 4:53 am

I tried the gluten free diet. It was awful. I couldn't stand it. I have a milk allergy, so I have to avoid milk a lot. It can do horrors when trying to lose weight. :(

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 12:54 am

I am really proud of myself. Today I got a desk up, (finally) for my computer, and that *really* as a workout. I did 1 full minute of jumproping :lol: , and two miles of my walking DVD. :)

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 1:19 am

I've dropped 20 lbs in the past 3 months, and am looking to lose about 20 more. I didn't put myself on an actual diet to lose the weight, I just eat smaller meals, whenever I do eat. I used to eat until my body told me I was full, but that is not necessary in order to get that "full" feeling. I've found that if I eat a normal sized meal, then wait 10 minutes or so, I feel just as good as I would've, if I had eaten until I actually "felt" full.

Long story short....I found that I don't need to gorge myself in order to feel satisfied. A normal sized meal works just as well, if you just wait a few minutes afterwards. I've been losing about 2 pounds per week with very little effort, and plan to start exercising again, very soon. I should be at my target weight(220) in a couple months, which will be nice. It's been a few years since I've felt "fit". :)

Oh yeah, I had to cut out my ice cream too. :thumbdown:

Those who know, don't speak.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 3:14 am

I found that water does the same thing Jawbrodt. If you drink water with your meal, you feel fuller faster. I don't eat ice cream that much, but when it is in the house I go through a huge tub vertu fast it's really addictive.

Congrats on losing so much weight. :)

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 4:11 am

Thanks. :) And yes, water is a good idea too. The biggest factor, I think, is that it has to be a lifestyle change, and not a diet, in order to work in the long run. Diets are only temporary, and usually the weight is gained back, once a person reverts back to their normal lifestyle. Ultimately, less calorie intake and more exercise is the key to success, and must be maintained throughout one's life, if one is to stay fit. I know, I know, easier said than done, but it is the simple truth.(aside from medical/medicinal problems)

Those who know, don't speak.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 4:39 am

Anubis wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Anubis wrote:
Fail. Most of the posters in this thread don't need to lose weight.

how so? depending on their height and gender, most weights listed as goals are well within normal BMI.

And there is your problem. BMI is certainly not an accurate measure of health or optimum weight.

Agreed according to BMI i am Obese. I may carry my weight around the stomach abit now but I am definately more muscular that the average person and I weigh exactly the same as what I did when i had my abs.

May i suggest maybe using other measuring methods. Like how fast you can run around the block. Time it. Set measurements for differen't exercises so you have some thing you can improve on. Also measuring around your stomach or other problem areas could be a good way to measure it. BMI is just a way to judge a very large amount of people and judge what percentage is overweight. It doesn't work when measuring individuals.

I don't think it is healthy at all to focus on weightloss as the goal. Thats how eating disorders happen. Theres no limit to how much weight you lose. But there is a limit to what is healthy. Also alot of the time when you work out you gain muscle which is actually heavier than fat so at times you may work out and actually GAIN weight even though you are going in the right direction.

So good luck to every one with there New Years resolutions. This stuff takes effort and you guys have to keep at it.

A good way to work out is go for rides on pushbikes. They are a good low impact workout that you can vary to your needs. I wish my push bike still worked.... damn thing failed right when a car was coming.... so it got totaled.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 9:55 am

I am usually between 5-10 pounds overweight these days.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 1:07 pm

Hi I'm 15 and about 190 I want to lose weight but don't know how cause my mess make me eat and I eat when I'm bored and I'm constantly bored