Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

turborocker5000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2008, 7:40 am

Or indeed anyone studying Law?

I wasn't sure where to put this topic because it's kind of a cross between education and work so... I put it here instead.

Anyway, I'm going on to study Philosophy at uni, however I have a big interest in law and I am hoping to go on to do a post grad in Legal Theory/Jurisprudence.
Buuut if that fails, I'll do the LLB conversion and become a solicitor.. lol I make it sound easy! But I know I want a career in law.

Anyway, I understand a lot of people say Law is a good career for Aspies, but if anyone's a lawyer here and you have to defend someone in course (assuming you work on the criminal side for example) how do you go about overcoming social anxiety to speak in public.. in a court!?
I would be alright writing letters and advising clients... but the prospect of representing someone in court is a bit daunting for me... I have really bad social anxiety.

But I'm just curious. Also for the poeple studying law... how do you over come anxiety if you have to perform a moot?

Charlie

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 7:52 am

im a philosophy Student at Uni of it helps, and i have friends who are Law students...

i have to debate once in a while too

turborocker5000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2008, 8:02 am

Aspie_for_the_Lord wrote:
im a philosophy Student at Uni of it helps, and i have friends who are Law students...

true I should've included philosophy students too!
How do you find it? I'm hoping philosophy will help me to overcome such feelings of dread, but I do fear debating.. like I said in another thread I hate confrontation.. I know debates are not the same as personal attacks but I still find it hard to seperate the two in my mind, does that make sense?

Charlie

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 8:07 am

turborocker5000 wrote:
Aspie_for_the_Lord wrote:

true I should've included philosophy students too!
How do you find it? I'm hoping philosophy will help me to overcome such feelings of dread, but I do fear debating.. like I said in another thread I hate confrontation.. I know debates are not the same as personal attacks but I still find it hard to seperate the two in my mind, does that make sense?

Charlie

it does make sense, i know that often they can (if the other people are unproffessional) fall into personal attacks (or Ad Hominem) i have often had it happen that if you reasonably disarm their argument they start insults...

that aside... you shouldnt have that at uni, and i would be willing to help break you out of your nerves :D

you can IM me anytime and we can debate and hopefully i can break your fear.

which Uni are you going to?

turborocker5000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2008, 8:18 am

Hey thanks :-) that would be really helpful

I'm hoping to go to Nottingham. I've been given an offer.. still waiting to hear from Durham, but I'd prefer Nottingham I think.
Which uni do you go to?

Charlie

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 8:23 am

turborocker5000 wrote:
Hey thanks :-) that would be really helpful

I'm hoping to go to Nottingham. I've been given an offer.. still waiting to hear from Durham, but I'd prefer Nottingham I think.
Which uni do you go to?

Charlie

I go to the University of the West of England, its nice there, a friendly atmosphere.

i went to another Uni last year, but i didnt enjoy it as much, i hope you find the right atmos and friendship group wherever you go :D

When you IM me i will send u my e-mail addy, and we can chat that way.

looking forward

Gary

P.S i will be back online in 1/2 hours time

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 12:41 pm

Many times I've been interested in law- and perhaps even becoming a lawyer. But I'm not smart enough and don't have the background for it.

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2008, 12:55 pm

Try going to your local County Court or Crown Court and ask to sit in the public gallery- this will give you real experience of a court. It's free (of course) and every citizen has the right to.

Watching trials is also wonderful for studying human behaviour under duress- watching criminals fall apart under cross-questioning is fascinating!

Magliabechi.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 12:59 pm

I had a friend (not on the spectrum) who studied philosophy, then studied law at Cambridge. She said she didn't think fast enough on her feet to be a trial lawyer. There's still lots of other law that's not in a courtroom that she could have done, but she shifted over into management instead, since that was more her thing anyway.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 2:42 pm

turborocker5000 wrote:
Anyway, I understand a lot of people say Law is a good career for Aspies, but if anyone's a lawyer here and you have to defend someone in course (assuming you work on the criminal side for example) how do you go about overcoming social anxiety to speak in public.. in a court!?
I would be alright writing letters and advising clients... but the prospect of representing someone in court is a bit daunting for me... I have really bad social anxiety.

Be a solicitor, not a barrister.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 2:04 am

i work for a legal executive (does same work as solicitor)
the area he works in is compensation (civil claims) and equine law (disputes to do with horses)

i am doing a diploma that will allow me to be a senior law clerk (if i want to) and i can use the tafe credit accured to get into 2nd year law at deakin (a local uni) but i don't intend to do that because i don't want to become a lawyer.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 12:02 am

Ive given it the once over but im unsure how best to proceed..
in the light of greater findings i can probably safely say that aspie law is just another roost in the spielberg novels saga and if i wanted to apply for residency in it id of eaten my cake long ago instead of looking like judge judy on a advert of ' how to serve cornflakes in a breakfast bar on a breakfast channel'. hypo :roll:

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Mar 2013, 12:36 pm

When I was young, I could never get up in front of a group of people and talk. I really just hadn't a clue a stuttered and just dried up. Many years later, I went university and then my job at times required me to go to court to give evidence and later give presentations to large groups of people. What I learned was that being totally prepared by knowing my subject and having clear notes, I had no reason to dry up. PowerPoint enabled me to do the presentations as I wrote them so all I had to do was read it off the screen. Although this may seem obvious, it wasn't to me and I had to learn how to gather the information and record it in a manner that easily reminded me what I was talking about. There are so many aspects to law that you can still qualify and find a niche that suits you.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 12:41 pm

Woah, we just bumped a five year old thread...

Author/Writer

glow
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

Yeah, thanks for the tip pandora but i do really think it takes one to know one and so in other words opening another one of pandoras boxes now, might not spell out another one of gods clear virtues at this stage in my life.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 3:19 pm

glow wrote:
Yeah, thanks for the tip pandora but i do really think it takes one to know one and so in other words opening another one of pandoras boxes now, might not spell out another one of gods clear virtues at this stage in my life.

How high are you?

This thread is 5 years old and lawyers are the scum of the earth, let this die.