Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2004, 5:00 pm

I have recently started studying, different ways of studying. However I have not got very far and usually find it hard to take things in. So what works for you when you study? I am always to detailed in taking notes. Its like copying the entire text book.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Jun 2004, 5:03 pm

mic wrote:
I have recently started studying, different ways of studying. However I have not got very far and usually find it hard to take things in. So what works for you when you study? I am always to detailed in taking notes. Its like copying the entire text book.

Copying the textbook is a Bad Thing (TM). It is easier to copy the text book than it is to only make notes of the important concepts and events.

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

30 Jun 2004, 5:50 pm

Naw, it's much harder to copy the textbook. But it's easier to learn, I think, if you just make notes, that way you can concentrate on learning the important stuff.

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2004, 6:39 pm

I don't study unless I'm forced to. I know people want us to study, but I'm not the type of person who likes studying.

IrishWolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2004, 6:39 pm

I've got an almost photographic memory for text. I only have to read something over twice and i've got it. The only thing is, i have to have an active interest in what i'm reading or it doesn't work. :roll:

mic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2004, 12:20 pm

I,ve tried flash card, study cards, memory tests, reading then speaking with out looking at the book and I still have not learnt the first four pages of my physics book.

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Jul 2004, 1:05 pm

mic wrote:
I,ve tried flash card, study cards, memory tests, reading then speaking with out looking at the book and I still have not learnt the first four pages of my physics book.

what physics topic are you currently studying? Maybe someone here can help explain it. I feel that I am good at physics, so I might be able to explain it to you in a way that you can understand.

mic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2004, 2:30 pm

Its not understanding it its remembering it. Anyway this topic is not about me. Thank you though.

eboresow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2004, 8:17 pm

I read stuff through a couple times to get a little of the topic in my head. To help me remember, I have to write something down. Studying for finals, I literally rewrote the study guide with answers. Then I skimmed it twice and was fine with the finals. -Elizabeth

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2004, 8:23 pm

I can't really get all the information without hearing it, so i usually read what i'm studying aloud. I also use flashcards, and re-read the material over and over again. :D

UltimApe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2004, 9:41 pm

I don't study. I've never needed to. But once you think about it, what good is it to attempt to remember boring facts and dates?

Its not really learning anyway.

I find it easier to learn ways to take the tests, then to memorize the things on the test. In the end it actually is better for me, because that way If i ever come up to a similar problem, I'll be able to solve it.

Knowing when Columbus sailed to the new world isn't going to tell you when Hawaii was made into a state. But knowing how to derive that information from the test, gives you skills to do things more intelligently.

Its not like you'll be able to study about every individual facet in life. Its not worth it.

I liken it to computer programing. Studying is like writing 20,000 lines of code, each one being a different set of data. It would take forever to write that much code. It's much easier to create a function or a loop that intelligently figures out the data, it save you a lot of time and energy and will take up alot less lines. To me that is what you should be learning.

Ghulam Asadiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2021, 11:41 am

Mich wrote:
I don't study unless I'm forced to. I know people want us to study, but I'm not the type of person who likes studying.

That was kind of my method too.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

31 Jan 2021, 11:38 pm

For the longest time I struggled with learning until I passed out every day, until I was 17.

Magic happened, or should I say luck. I overheard two classmates who were talking about study styles and the top student has disclosed she actually aims to understand the content then stories it out in her own words. Following that day my grades boosted through the roof. Gone were the long days of torturing my brain and being shamed in front of the class for 'never studying' when I was doing it more than anyone else.

Later on I developped a style to remember things that were Latin plant and med names for my pharmacy classes, and this was done by literally adding very funny [and honesty perverted sometimes] similarities for the words either from other languages or from my own, and for the titles first letters like say 'The Adverse Effects of Antihistamines' -Toads Are Eating Autists, next one would be something else but in order to not forget any of the paragraphs or titles I would know like Toads come first, Snails second, or something like that.
And so i would laugh til my stomach hurt on tests like a total weirdo and my grades be sparkling incredible.
You can tell what my schemes looked like.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 2:51 pm

I study by rereading my notes again and again. This helps a fair deal.

NogginHeadFace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2021, 12:21 pm

I study by taking the knowledge given to us from the materials, and slowly iterating through being able to write out all the concepts into simpler and more basic terms, until I am satisfied, and then remembering that. Doing this takes away all the fluff involved in the teaching, that is usually included to aid in initial understandings of the material. Once understanding is vaguely reached, this fluff just wastes space in your mind. Simplify the knowledge down to simply that which is required.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 12:34 pm

I am a stereotypical extreme asperger
It often takes me longer and much more effort to pick up subject matter

This is because i follow the longer of the "All or nothing" approach, this is where when given a task,
for example "design a traffic light", I will gather up all the information on the subject in its entirely,
analyse each and every design, determine the merit of the designs in each examples entirety,
record this information in a database, analyse and contemplate each aspect of each design in terms of
merit, record this information, then design my own designs based upon the information and data that i have
collected, in combination with "off the wall" "out of the box" concepts that approach the design from a functional
rather than conditioned perspective.

This process takes a great deal longer than perhaps simply "going" with the first idea that pops into your head.
But this is why people with Asperger Syndrome can be extremely innovative if not genius, when compared to the standard NT University Approach of quick fix to get high grades.

I believe that due to this Asperger Syndrome approach, that people with Asperger Syndromes often don't do well at uni, but may be actual genius. Among the few people who innovate rather than just copy.

But it takes a great deal of sweat and tears, and loads of hard work.
But in the end, you end up with something that is truly worth a life time of study.