Girl Dies on Cold Walk; Dad Charged With Murder

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2008, 2:33 am

The boy was found wearing only long underwear, Blaine County Sheriff Walt Femling said in a news release. Apparently delusional from hypothermia, the child had discarded his jacket, pants and shoes, the sheriff's office said.

Walking a long distance in adverse conditions can be sweaty work, even if it is cold out. I can imagine a small child removing his overcoat because he is sweaty and not thinking ahead to realize "I could freeze to death".

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 1:30 pm

*sigh*
Unfortunately, it's difficult to detect sarcasm online...

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 2:05 pm

People with advanced hypothermia often start to feel warm and start takign their clothes off because of that. I've read about it happening on Everest. When someone starts taking their clothes off in teh cold, you know they're in trouble.

My brother and I did a cold walk like that when we were 7 or 8. Mom dropped us off for Sunday School and left before we found out the school was locked and we couldn't get in. The teachers told us to sit in the church across the street to wait for our parents. I can't remember if my brother phoned home and she told us to wait (2 hours) for when she got there for Mass, or if we just sat there. Anyway, my brother got seriously bored and said let's walk home. He knew the way and it was maybe 5 miles. We were not in heavy winter gear, since we had not been planning on being outside - more dressy winter coats than serious ones. So we started walking. We got about 1/3 of the way when a man stopped us and gave us a ride. I remember him stopping on one street to chat with a friend of his who was shovelling snow along the way. Mom was embarrassed, and put us in a hot bath to warm us up. She was worried when I still wasn't warm enough to go to church, and I got to miss it. I remember it being my brother's idea, and me saying I was cold and not happy, and him saying just keep going. The windchill was pretty awful that day. Good thing that guy stopped to help us before things got worse.

You really have to keep an eye on kids that age. It is so easy for them to get into trouble, because of lack of experience.

31 Dec 2008, 4:33 pm

This was also on the local news last night and the news reporter also mentioned the father's friend said the mother was supposed to meet the kids halfway down the road so I assume the father called the mother and told her to come and get the kids and they will be heading towards her house.

As Chamoisee said, there was probably a miscommunication because the mother never came.
What kind of mother wouldn't come to get her kids when it's cold out? So it's gotta be a miscommunication. It would have been better if he had the mother come and get the kids from his truck, not pick them up on the road as they are heading to her house.

I think this was all an accident and there shouldn't be charges. But the rest of us can learn from this.

The friends of the guy are all in defense of the father.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 10:28 pm

Anemone wrote:
People with advanced hypothermia often start to feel warm and start takign their clothes off because of that. I've read about it happening on Everest. When someone starts taking their clothes off in teh cold, you know they're in trouble.

Yeah, I've read that before. You'd think the dad would have stopped the kids. What did he do, shrug it off and say "Well if you're that warm? Hahaha. Kids are so cute!" thinking that the exercise was just making them sweat?
*pounds head off of desk*
Yarg!

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 11:56 pm

MizLiz wrote:
Anemone wrote:
People with advanced hypothermia often start to feel warm and start taking their clothes off because of that. I've read about it happening on Everest. When someone starts taking their clothes off in teh cold, you know they're in trouble.

Yeah, I've read that before. You'd think the dad would have stopped the kids. What did he do, shrug it off and say "Well if you're that warm? Hahaha. Kids are so cute!" thinking that the exercise was just making them sweat?
*pounds head off of desk*
Yarg!

He wasn't there when the boy did that. He was getting his car unstuck and thought the mom had picked the kids up already.