Anyone ever get asked whether they're foreigners?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 11:18 pm

I was born in Germany, but came to America when I was three years old, so I don't have a German accent.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 11:23 pm

My brother, who I believe may be an Aspie, has somewhat of a Canadian accent. I find that very odd. He's been to Canada once, but he was one, so that wouldn't be an influence on him. Minnesota has a similar accent, and we have been there...but he had it before we went there. I've always found that strange.... :?

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Barce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2009, 12:40 am

I have been thought to be foreign this often happens when i am introduced to someone in a group.

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2009, 4:18 am

I am often mistaken for Russian/Eastern European (not sure why... I either have no accent at all or use "Oxbridge" english - depends where I am, although I can mimic other accents unconsiously and quite passibly).
Having a Russian first name does not really help when I try to explain that this is not the case...

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 5:59 pm

I was born in Houston, but I moved up to central Indiana while I was in kindergarten (been down there a million times since). A lot of people often try to guess where I'm from since I don't have a Hoosier accent. I hear a bunch of different States (sometimes even Canada!). People usually say California, the Carolinas, the northeast (I speak quickly), Ohio, and Virginia. No one can ever believe I'm from Houston! lol However, if I'm really upset about something, I apparently have a thick Texas accent.

I took an American accent quiz online not too long ago and it actually said I'm most likely from a big southern city or Cincinatti. Pretty accurate if you ask me.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 11:46 pm

Your not from around here are you?

I get that everywhere I go.