Does anyone else feel a connection to Data from Star Trek?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 1:28 pm

I always felt I fundamentally related more to Data than I did to Spock. Spock's character captured a notion of "logic" fighting "human emotion" that I'm not sure accurately depicts humanity. Data on the other hand aspired to be human, whatever that meant, which I can relate to in that I aspire to fit in just as well with people as I would if I didn't have AS.

Barclay I can relate to, but in another sense. I feel as if he was pretty dead on in capturing the darker and more flawed sides of my character - my needless obsessions with things and people, hypochondria, phobias, nervousness. The TNG episodes where he is the central character are painful for me to watch. I suspect though that this was the intention of the creators of these episodes, to create a character that hit a lot of Star Trek viewers a bit too close to home. Of course they demonstrate Barclay overcoming his difficulties and eventually becoming a high-ranked Starfleet officer, to make people like me feel better about ourselves.

dsd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2009, 2:36 pm

Even if you don't identify with Data directly it is worthwhile to approach the world as he does. He wants to be more like his peers in terms of being more human (improve where he lacks skills) but he also doesn't want a complete change. It is like the mantra of people in the trek universe: The goal of humanity is improving ones self. That is something I think is lacking in general these days.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 2:38 pm

KiraOdo wrote:
or any other characters. When Star Trek: The Next Generation originally came on I obsessed over that character. Same thing with Odo from Star Trek: DS9. I am drawn to the outsider, loner characters. Has anyone else experienced that? :?

My strongest affinities were to Spock and to Andrew the positronic robot in -Bicentennial Man-. I preferred Data before he got his emotion chip.

ruveyn

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2009, 1:37 am

Definately Data. Not so much Odo. I also identify with Seven and the borg kids. It's the way they innocently overanalize, not in a I'm so much smarter than you way, but a genuine searching for the truth by naively speaking their all unfiltered thoughts outloud, obliviously honest and thorough.

Troi, however... I don't know what it is. She's just too girly, and I don't get "girly".

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

double post

Last edited by Pithlet on 03 Jan 2009, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

triple post

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 1:44 pm

I love Data. He's great. In some ways I wish I was more like him :) I don't feel much of a connection to him though.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 1:46 pm

Definately

The husband has been watching old episodes of Next Generation lately and I see myself in Data in every episode that features him. It's amazing.
The guy that plays him is a great actor.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 1:51 pm

Even in the movie where he got the emotion chip I can identify with him because he is constantly acting inappropriately and all the other crew members roll their eyes at him.

Actually, I notice that they roll their eyes at him a lot (I often ask my husband why) and interupt him when he's spouting data like it's annoying. I happen to greatly appreciate how much information he gives on situations and I hate it when they interrupt him lol.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 2:45 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Even in the movie where he got the emotion chip I can identify with him because he is constantly acting inappropriately and all the other crew members roll their eyes at him.

Actually, I notice that they roll their eyes at him a lot (I often ask my husband why) and interupt him when he's spouting data like it's annoying. I happen to greatly appreciate how much information he gives on situations and I hate it when they interrupt him lol.

Aww no you just spoiled an episode I haven't yet watched :(

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 2:58 pm

Spock was one of my two role models as a kid (the other one being Phileas Fogg). I also admired Seven of Nine a lot, and took my user name from the Borg kid Icheb (who was a classic grind). I particularly liked "Deep Space Nine" since a lot of the main characters were outsiders - Odo, Quark, Nog, Garak, Worf... The episode with Nog and the hologram Vic Fontaine is one of my favourite.

The Data episode "Elementary, Dear Data" awakened my interest in Sherlock Holmes, as well as in actor Daniel Davis (who was a hoot as Niles in "The Nanny").

mycats
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

On 12 September 2011, WPIX Channel 11 in New York City, stopped airing Star Trek Next Generation. I am not pleased. This channel by the way is a channel it aired on when it first aired originally.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

No. The only fictional characters I've ever really idenified with were Ramona Quimby, Prince Zuko, Tails the fox and Sallie the chipmunk.