My baby isn't crying!
Hit it! 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
Calm the hell down! 75%  75%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 24

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2009, 3:25 am

I was also told that I was a baby that didn't cry.

As a toddler, I cried, but very quietly. They'd just find me sullen somewhere with tears on a pillow or blank piece of paper.

The only 'tantrum' of my life was when I was about 8 years old, but I believe it was an episode of hypersensitivity the likes of which I've never had again. I came home from school early with what I was told was a migraine and fell asleep. When I woke, for whatever reason, I couldn't comprehend what was happening around me. The house was empty, didn't feel like my home, and every sensation was harsh and threatening; every little sound was like a gunshot beside my ear. All the windows were closed, yet I could hear a squirrel climbing a tree outside. I could hear a cat walking on a carpet two rooms away. The chirps and clicks from my PC's processor and hard drive were practically deafening and when the dishwasher in the kitchen turned on it was like a jet engine. I bolted for the front door, fell on my knees in the driveway, and broke down sobbing, overwhelmed beyond reason. By the time someone pulled in, I didn't have a fever, which still surprises me, yet I maintain something very unusual happened to me that day.

Supposedly my father experienced this as a child, with the same headaches as well. He never received a diagnosis for it, either. I haven't had it suggested that it's connected to Asperger Syndrome, though.

Last edited by Saerain on 02 Jan 2009, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 3:42 am

Surprise! I was an irritable, whiny, fussy, grouchy, unhappy baby.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 3:47 am

I remember my mom said I was a very quiet, well behaved baby. I find it a strange way of possible AS detection. Maybe it can be either really quiet or really loud extremes can be both possible detections.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 5:57 am

I know a NT girl who is said to have been a quiet baby who almost never cried.

My parents says I didn't cry that much (instead I had the tendency to go out my crib) but my grandmother claim that when I was a toddler I cried every time I couldn't see my mother (my mother don't agree :lol: ) even though I knew her well (my grandma). I was very happy according to my parents but I know I tended to be annoyed easily and could be very angry sometimes. I liked annoying my brother but everytime he tried to annoy me I yelled.
I still don't know why people think I'm easy to live with ! :lol:

I think parents tend to remember details they find specials about their babies. Mine say that both my premature brother and my premature self had our eyes opened when we were born... and yet they didn't see us for a long time !

I don't know whether I'm NT or AS so... may mean nothing at all !

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2009, 6:59 am

Apparently, I was held up by the nurses as a model baby in hospital, as I only cried when hungry.

Isn't the failure to cry simply the baby version of being non-verbal/disinclined to communicate ?

From not crying much, I went on to NOT doing baby-talk (goo-goo ga-ga) - and didn't speak until age 3. There was real concern about me.
I was one quiet nipper.
In a broad context, I think you'd call it a speech delay.
But once I began speaking, I spoke in coherent full sentences.

Since I was brought up in a children's home and received visits from my mum, there's only so much she could tell me - but I'm sure that being brought up in an institution was a long way from what an Aspie child needs.

Seeing young kids with their parents sometimes makes me quite wistful about my own life and how things MIGHT have turned out if I'd been brought up en famille.

<sigh>

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:19 am

sethzack wrote:
I was told by my mom, grandma, and step-dad that I never cried or rarely ever cried when I was a baby. That isn't neurotypical in my opinion so have any of you experienced stories similar to that of when you were a baby? (Go ask your parents if you have to please)

yes, it freaked my mom out. I wouldn't cry when I was hungry, or needed to be changed. I didn't cry when I fell on my head (I flipped myself out of her hands and hit the concrete) and I didn't cry when I fell off a bunk bed and broke my collar bone (I was 3). She said I never cried, I just looked sad and lost.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 2:16 pm

I was a completely normal baby. I didn't cry too much, but I wasn't a quiet baby either - I was just average. My Mum said that when I was about 16 months I was crying and crying for ages and she didn't know what to do with me, but she said that's perfectly normal for a 1 year old to cry. She said I was happier at 2 - I didn;t cry much and I didn't have many tantrums. She said I once started screaming in my pushchair because I didn't want the plastic rain-cover thing down. But that is perfectly normal for a 2 year old to cry over anyway.
Apparently I didn't show any AS symptoms until I was about 4 or 5 - when I started school. Before I was 4, there was no symptoms whatsoever in me. I went to playgroup and was a little shy, but nothing to pinpoint about. I was never repetative, and I never rocked backwards and forwards. I never stacked things either.

Is it normal for a child of about 7 or 8 to ''set things up''? When I had my South Park figures, I used to line them up on the fireplace. That is not an Aspie trait, because my NT cousin used to line up cars in his room and leave them there. And my other NT cousin used to line up all her teddies neatly in her room, and she also wanted everything to look straight, and she didn't want one crease to appear on her duvet.
It's just a child thing - it's got nothing to do with AS. You can't play with certain toys without having to line them up anyway.
The only thing what is a serious Autism trait is stacking things when under 5 years old, and I never stacked anything when under 5 years old.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 3:10 pm

My eldest two children are Aspies. The older of the two cried nearly non stop and usually could not be comforted. Middle Son hardly cried at all, just ate all the time.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2010, 3:16 pm

I never cried, I never cried for anything, my mom had to guess when I wanted food or a burping, or a diaper change.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 3:35 pm

I wouldn't count on crying as being an indicator. We have three kids, two of who were at both extremes (one who screamed bloody murder for no apparent reasons, often and for very long periods, as in hours, and never slept through the night, another who almost never cried, went down at 7 pm every night, and slept through the night from day one), and a third who was kind of in between, usually very quiet when put down at night, yet for about a year woke up with what the doctors called "night terrors" but by all descriptions we read of what those are, that is not what they were at all.

All three are on the spectrum, so take it from there.

I don't think crying or lack thereof is any indicator at all.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 3:59 pm

I cried a lot and later I screamed a lot. I didn't understand this world.
My cousin, who's one year younger, was silent baby and loud kid. Now he's introverted NT.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 4:32 pm

I was also a quiet baby. My parents say I rarely cried and that I seemed to cry only as a last resort, when I really needed something and nobody had responded to my fussing. Maybe I hated the sound of crying babies even then. When I was a toddler I was also very quiet; I had a grand total of three temper tantrums (all related to unexpected changes in routines). My psychologist says this is low, even for NT children.