Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:36 am

MR_BOGAN wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
MR_BOGAN wrote:
^The Irish side of my family left Ireland after persecutions from the English. England was in the wrong by trying to take over Ireland. I don't see anything to debate about that. They were the cause of the conflict. :roll:

Israel is in the wrong by taking land and forcing Palestinan people to live in refugee camps.

Look at the facts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_refugees

If Israel let's the refugees return back to their homes the extreme element will be go.

If jesus does come back like what christians think. :roll: I wonder what he would think about all refugees camps. :chin:

Who is "right" or "wrong" is not the point. I speak of the day to day running of a nation. Is there enough difference between the way the UK is run, and the way the Republic is run that living under one or the other would be so very intolerable? Likewise with Palestine. I'm talking about the governance that happens all the time.. the things we pay for with taxes, that happen over and over. The things we barely even notice most of the time, except in the vaguest of ways. Is there enough of a difference to kill for? If we remove these vague notions of religious BS, and national pride or racial division, do Palestinians pay more for their utilities than Israelis? Do the Irish get cheaper council tax? (Or equivalent.) I'm talking about the things that are actually important. Cost of living.. the next meal on the table.. job prospects.

If you don't want to talk about who is right and wrong and talk about living standards, a refugee you have nothing, you are stuck you cannot go anywhere until some other country accepts you.
Palestinian refugees have nothing, very little prospects of any sort, that injustice is the perfect breeding ground for terrorism.

Also take a look at the effect of Israeli settlements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_settlement

Quote:
Israel has used a complex legal and bureaucratic mechanism to take control of more than fifty percent of the land in the West Bank.

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/stats/settlements.html

That's more what I was talking about, yes. Those suggest some realistic reasons why Palestinians do not wish to come under Israeli rule, that do not rely on "because they are Israelis and our god says hate them."

One thing that occurred to me whilst running through that: Some of those illegal settlements are most likely there for strategic rather than economic (or any other) reason. Golan Heights, if memory serves, are a nice place to start a long range firefight from, and I imagine that keeping people there, legally or otherwise, is wholly to stop others using them aggressively. I suspect that some of the other sites serve a similar purpose. It looks like the current campaign has a broadly similar aim.. the taking of certain strategically popular launch sites.

Given that Israel is not going to cease to exist, what solution would anyone like to apply to the Israeli issue of being randomly shot at? Is it really likely that if Israel returns all these sites, that suddenly Hamas will stop? What SHOULD Israel be doing?

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 11:18 am

Macbeth wrote:
What SHOULD Israel be doing?

Israel should remove all pro-Jewish laws (right to return), remove all references to Judaism in the name of the country and the constitution, and change the republic into a federation based on the canton system of Bosnia & Herzegovina. Israel must allow all the Palestinian refugees to return.

Israel should cease to remain Israel and become the Republic of Jerusalem.

Peace.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 11:54 am

Khan_Sama wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Israel should remove all pro-Jewish laws (right to return), remove all references to Judaism in the name of the country and the constitution, and change the republic into a federation based on the canton system of Bosnia & Herzegovina. Israel must allow all the Palestinian refugees to return.

Peace.

Should the Jews convert to Islam and forget who they are, as well? :roll:

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 1:47 pm

I think Khan_sama's idea is actually really good. And I don't see anything about having a non-secular government that would prevent Jews from practicing their religion.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 2:12 pm

Mage wrote:
I think Khan_sama's idea is actually really good. And I don't see anything about having a non-secular government that would prevent Jews from practicing their religion.

Khan Sama's idea seems pretty one-sided. Why should one side of the conflict get a raw deal while the other side has total wish-fulfillment?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 2:19 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Mage wrote:

Khan Sama's idea seems pretty one-sided. Why should one side of the conflict get a raw deal while the other side has total wish-fulfillment?

I'm totally confused about what's so horrible about having a secular state.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 2:27 pm

From Israel to Nonreal? topic

Thus far I am impressed with the restraint shown by both sides in this dilemma, as there is no black and white answer.

Nevertheless, Israel will not let itself become anything less than a Jewish state. Would any of the Islamic states become Christian/secular (with the possible exception of Turkey, in that it is more moderate). Khan_Sama's ideas are not feasible.

Though I live in a neighbourhood with people all religions/cultures, etc. I would not want to visit some of their countries of birth because of the violent politics and unstable governments. War and insurrection happens in lands that are not stable/democracies. Examples are Syria, Pakistan, Russia, Greece, and some of the south and Latin American nations. I could not count on the host nations to help me should I get into trouble.

Democracy is a difficult kind of government to sustain. And democracies are the only sorts of governments that the world can criticize legitimately. If I went to China or Syria and said something out of line, I would be jailed. In Canada, the US, Europe and even in Israel people can peacefully protest.

Here at WP it is also democratic. We can criticize/comment and argue logically and we will be heard. The same is not true on other sites.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 2:29 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Peace.

Should the Jews convert to Islam and forget who they are, as well? :roll:

He didn't say that , try to understand his post first otherwise don't put words in others' mouths.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 3:28 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Peace.

And would that prevent or stop Hamas from killing jews? If so, how? I did point out that Israel ceasing to exist is not an option, because the citizens of Israel, for better or worse, will fight to the last man (and woman) to remain as Israel. This is a given.. they have already done so before now. Becoming a non-jewish state would in all likelihood not help. Palestine under British occupation was a non-jewish state, and nobody was happy about that either.

This suggestion sounds far too one-sided and anti-jewish to be popular with the citizens of Israel Also, what should Palestine and other neighbour states do that would balance such heavy-handed requests?

What would the return of Palestinian refuges to their original homes cause? What would be the result? Would they be content with that, or would they desire other territories ceded back to them? Would they want to be under Palestinian authority, or accede to Israeli authority?

At a very basic level, the current conflict is a piece of piss to solve. Both sides need to stop shooting. Hamas lays off the rockets, Israel knocks off the airstrikes. Currently everyone is asking Israel to stop, but Hamas are openly ranting about shooting even more. BOTH SIDES. Simple as that. Once they stop killing each other, then maybe a bit more effort could be put into mediating a settlement that works for both sides. (Ie NOT the complete destruction of Israel.)

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 4:48 pm

Macbeth wrote:

That's more what I was talking about, yes. Those suggest some realistic reasons why Palestinians do not wish to come under Israeli rule, that do not rely on "because they are Israelis and our god says hate them."

I don't think the Palestinians would care to much who rules them. They have never had really had self rule. Before the birth of modern Israel, Jews and Muselms used to live in peace. Palestinians living in Israel I think are happy.

Macbeth wrote:
One thing that occurred to me whilst running through that: Some of those illegal settlements are most likely there for strategic rather than economic (or any other) reason. Golan Heights, if memory serves, are a nice place to start a long range firefight from, and I imagine that keeping people there, legally or otherwise, is wholly to stop others using them aggressively. I suspect that some of the other sites serve a similar purpose. It looks like the current campaign has a broadly similar aim.. the taking of certain strategically popular launch sites.

You can launch rockets from anywhere, I don't see them being much more accurate launched from higher positions. Height would be a factor in close range combat.

The problem for the Palestinians is that the West Bank is right in the heart of ancient Israel. That's the real reason they colonised the West Bank.

Macbeth wrote:
Given that Israel is not going to cease to exist, what solution would anyone like to apply to the Israeli issue of being randomly shot at? Is it really likely that if Israel returns all these sites, that suddenly Hamas will stop? What SHOULD Israel be doing?

If Israel is not going to cease to exist. Israel needs to abandon all it's jewish settlements and also let the refugees return back to their homes.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 6:44 pm

Just think, if the phoenecians had pushed just a little harder, we would all be having a terribly different conversation right now.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 6:56 pm

sartresue wrote:
Nevertheless, Israel will not let itself become anything less than a Jewish state. Would any of the Islamic states become Christian/secular (with the possible exception of Turkey, in that it is more moderate). Khan_Sama's ideas are not feasible.

Israel is officially under the banner of secularism. It just has pro Jewish laws, as in the ethnic group, not the religion. According to the Israeli law of return, anyone who has a Jewish grandparent can immediately become a citizen of Israel.

As for democracy, if a canton system is established in the geographical area known as Palestine, there will be no conflict between the federal states. Bosnia & Herzegovina, Switzerland, are excellent examples, although the later tends to lean more towards direct democracy while the former does not.

Quote:
And would that prevent or stop Hamas from killing jews? If so, how? I did point out that Israel ceasing to exist is not an option, because the citizens of Israel, for better or worse, will fight to the last man (and woman) to remain as Israel. This is a given.. they have already done so before now. Becoming a non-jewish state would in all likelihood not help. Palestine under British occupation was a non-jewish state, and nobody was happy about that either.

Yes. Hamas has shown it is willing to accept a Palestinian state with 1967 boundaries, with a permanent truce with Israel. Their goal is the establishment of an Islamic state, ie, Islamic laws. In turn, they offered Israel a permanent truce. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1035414.html

In my model each federal unit or canton exercises its own laws. There is no "Israeli state" or "Palestinian state", there is only a single federal state with two republics, one which is Jewish, the other Arab. None has power over the other. The Jewish state has its own government, the Palestinian state has its own. The federal government is combined and its members are selected by both governments, on a rotational basis, similar to Switzerland's role of the President, in this case, applying to every single minister, equally, ie, there are an equal number of Israeli ministers as well as Arab ministers.

Benefits for Israel -

Recognition by the Muslim world, trade benefits, cordial relations with Arab states, NO MORE BLOODSHED.

Macbeth wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Peace.

Quote:
This suggestion sounds far too one-sided and anti-jewish to be popular with the citizens of Israel Also, what should Palestine and other neighbour states do that would balance such heavy-handed requests?

How's it one-sided and anti-Jewish? There are no references to Palestine or Israel in the Federal unit. If the Israeli republic in the federation can enact a "right to return" law for Jews, the Palestinian republic in the federation can do the same for Palestinian refugees.

Palestine and other neighbouring states need not do anything. Bosnian civil war. Remember? Similar scenario. Different circumstances.

slowmutant wrote:
Should the Jews convert to Islam and forget who they are, as well?

??

I am a member of the Baha'i faith. All religions lead to God/salvation/nirvana/the force/whatever you believe in. They are all the same. Religions were revealed in different periods depending on the social and political situation. Instead of focusing on the similarities, we dispute on the differences.

slowmutant wrote:

Read above. My idea is to make the Republic of Jerusalem completely neutral and unbiased, without favouring any ethnic group.

Peace.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:36 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Just think, if the phoenecians had pushed just a little harder, we would all be having a terribly different conversation right now.

Wouldn't matter it's in the bible. :lol:

If you read this ancent Israel only existed for 300 hundred years, between 1020 BC and 720 BC. Ancent Israel is ancent history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine# ... ble_period

I wonder what became of the SIZU. :chin:

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 2:25 am

I wonder how long Israel would remain a Jewish state if the USA stopped propping up thier military. Wouldnt be long as my guess, as they have antagonised every nation/tribe in the Levant.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 11:05 am

Khan_Sama wrote:
sartresue wrote:

Israel is officially under the banner of secularism. It just has pro Jewish laws, as in the ethnic group, not the religion. According to the Israeli law of return, anyone who has a Jewish grandparent can immediately become a citizen of Israel.

As for democracy, if a canton system is established in the geographical area known as Palestine, there will be no conflict between the federal states. Bosnia & Herzegovina, Switzerland, are excellent examples, although the later tends to lean more towards direct democracy while the former does not.

Quote:

Yes. Hamas has shown it is willing to accept a Palestinian state with 1967 boundaries, with a permanent truce with Israel. Their goal is the establishment of an Islamic state, ie, Islamic laws. In turn, they offered Israel a permanent truce. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1035414.html

In my model each federal unit or canton exercises its own laws. There is no "Israeli state" or "Palestinian state", there is only a single federal state with two republics, one which is Jewish, the other Arab. None has power over the other. The Jewish state has its own government, the Palestinian state has its own. The federal government is combined and its members are selected by both governments, on a rotational basis, similar to Switzerland's role of the President, in this case, applying to every single minister, equally, ie, there are an equal number of Israeli ministers as well as Arab ministers.

Benefits for Israel -

Recognition by the Muslim world, trade benefits, cordial relations with Arab states, NO MORE BLOODSHED.

Macbeth wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Peace.

Quote:

How's it one-sided and anti-Jewish? There are no references to Palestine or Israel in the Federal unit. If the Israeli republic in the federation can enact a "right to return" law for Jews, the Palestinian republic in the federation can do the same for Palestinian refugees.

Palestine and other neighbouring states need not do anything. Bosnian civil war. Remember? Similar scenario. Different circumstances.

slowmutant wrote:
Should the Jews convert to Islam and forget who they are, as well?

??

I am a member of the Baha'i faith. All religions lead to God/salvation/nirvana/the force/whatever you believe in. They are all the same. Religions were revealed in different periods depending on the social and political situation. Instead of focusing on the similarities, we dispute on the differences.

slowmutant wrote:

Read above. My idea is to make the Republic of Jerusalem completely neutral and unbiased, without favouring any ethnic group.

Peace.

Pieces, not peace topic

While in theory your explained idea look workable, in practice it will fall like dominoes or a house of cards.

Palestinians did not want a separate state before, as they listened to bad advice from terrorists. They want nothing but the total destruction of Israel. This would not matter if there was a Republic of Narnia. Any country with Jews and other Westerners in it is fair game for terrorists. And Hamas/Hezbollah does not want peace, and the Palestinians are their pawns in a lethal chess game in which their pieces are human shields and dupes. These are the people who are the real losers here. :(

The best that can be hoped for now is a ceasefire. As Macbeth wrote: BOTH sides.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 1:08 pm

The war could be over tomorrow if that's what everyone wanted. Peace is waiting for them, whenever they're ready. But they can't wait too long, or else there will be nothing left of Palestine or Israel. They'll have simply exterminated each other and blasted everything into non-existence.