Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

PastorNate
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2009, 6:14 pm

I'm left-handed, and I'm proud of it!

Did you know that Left-handed people are always in their right minds? Maybe that's why many of us don't have "filters" through which we "edit" things that we think and verbalize!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 8:35 pm

But we die 7 years sooner on average than righties....;) It's always somethin'...;)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 9:39 pm

(sigh)

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 9:55 pm

Although I can only somewhat write with my left, I could train myself to if I had time. I do do a lot of things with both my left and right hand though, generally my right hand is preferred. I only really use my left hand for things that don't require fine motor skills, something I have limited amounts of with my right hand and slightly less with my left. Cooking, my favourite thing to do when I have a lot of time, is a very two handed thing. I will drink with which ever hand has more room to have the drink down beside it. I'm left handedwith a hockey stick, right with a golf club. My left hand is often in my pocket, and I tend to use it mostly when my right hand is occupied, or my left hand is easier to use for that task, as in not requiring my fine motor skills I am very limited with, or being the closerhand tosaid task. When PC gaming, my left hand is either on the keyboard or rubbing my face. I am right handed in general, but I do not lack much for my left hand to be able to use it much, except fine motor skills.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 10:08 pm

As a photographer my left hand is important: it has to twist the lens to zoom in and accurately focus the lens. My right just clicks the shutter.
I'm fairly clumsy with my left hand though and it takes awhile for me to manual focus accurately. I get lots of underexposed photos, lol.

Besides that (and playing Wii with a nun chuck) I'm right handed.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2009, 11:35 pm

I'm right handed, but my left hand and arm is much stronger than my right.

I can handle weapons in either hand (like swords and such) with virtually no disadvantage, but I'm not very good at pairing weapons (having one in each hand).

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2009, 11:35 pm

I was ambidestrous until my third grade teacher began hitting me with a ruler to force me into right-handedness. I've been left handed since.

I shoot rifle and shotgun right handed. I shoot pistol left handed. I can shoot equally well with the other hand, but those are my first "reach for" preferances. I write left handed, but generally use tools, and do things with either hand.

Eldest son is truely ambidextrous. He can learn a riff on the guitar right handed, flip the guitar over and have it perfectly with his left hand.

Pops

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 12:20 am

Impressive.

I identify myself as a lefty, but there are a few things I do with either hand interchangably, like throw darts and hand-sew.

My mom is left-handed and my paternal grandfather was forced to become a righty.

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2009, 5:56 pm

rifler39 wrote:

I shoot rifle and shotgun right handed.
Pops

Me too, and I'm a leftie. Must be something to do with the eyes. Much easier!

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:32 pm

I was born a leftie, switched to rightie when I started school, and know I just do both. Strangely enough all the Aspies I've met in person have been either lefties or ambidextrous (though I've heard it's actually rarer in the AS population).

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:39 pm

supposedly Lefties are about 10% of the population. I see a fair number of lefties around here...;)

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 11:23 am

Being a "leftie" isn't just confined to humans.

This is the snail Neptunea contraria.

It's a "leftie": it's shell winds from the left hand side clockwise.

Most snails are "righties" though: their shells wind from the right hand side counter-clockwise.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 11:54 am

Aurore wrote:
I was born a leftie, switched to rightie when I started school, and know I just do both. Strangely enough all the Aspies I've met in person have been either lefties or ambidextrous (though I've heard it's actually rarer in the AS population).

That is odd.
My very good ASish friend is a lefty.

I should ask among the group of WP members who have been hanging out at my place, how many are left-handed...

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 3:23 pm

I'm a lefty. :)