Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 7:18 am

I don't know why people obsess about diagnosing celebrities and public figures.

Bill gates may be on the spectrum but there isn't any cause for a clinical diagnosis. It isn’t really a yes/no thing anyway.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 11:38 am

t0 wrote:
Lucymac wrote:
Just wondering who are these famous, celebrity people with AS? Is it true Bill Gates has AS, Abraham Lincoln, Emily Dickinson or are these just educated guestimates???

I'll give you a hint: Abraham Lincoln and Emily Dickinson died before Hans Asperger was alive.

So, before Hans Asperger did his research, nobody had Asperger's Syndrome?

Does that mean that before Martinus Beijerinck's work in 1898, there were no viruses? Or that until the advent of Niels Bohr, electrons didn't orbit nuclei in atoms?

That's as absurd as claiming that I can't have AS because I was born in 1963, and the diagnosis didn't make it into the DSM until 1994.

Now, mind you, evidence suggests that Lincoln suffered primarily from Marfan's Syndrome, with a strong possibility of bouts of major depression, and personally I think Dickinson was afflicted mostly with Poetry and Being-an-Intelligent-Woman-In-Victorian-Era-New-England Disorder...

t0
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 10:16 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
t0 wrote:
Lucymac wrote:
Just wondering who are these famous, celebrity people with AS? Is it true Bill Gates has AS, Abraham Lincoln, Emily Dickinson or are these just educated guestimates???

I'll give you a hint: Abraham Lincoln and Emily Dickinson died before Hans Asperger was alive.

So, before Hans Asperger did his research, nobody had Asperger's Syndrome?

It would be impossible for those persons to have been diagnosed with AS (or whatever term Hans Asperger actually used) because the diagnosis had not been created. If you're familiar with the current processes for diagnosing individuals, you know that it's impossible to diagnose a dead person. Which means at best they are "educated guestimates."

I would also suggest that noone "has" AS - I believe it to be an inseparable part of one's self.

Quote:
Does that mean that before Martinus Beijerinck's work in 1898, there were no viruses? Or that until the advent of Niels Bohr, electrons didn't orbit nuclei in atoms?

You've described physical entites that obviously exist. However, before 1892 (Dimitri Ivanovski), it would have been impossible to diagnose someone with a virus - as there wouldn't be diagnostic criteria for something not known to exist. Certainly if a virus could be identified in a corpse, it would be possible post-1892 to test posthumously. I am not aware of a similar test for ASD. Or anyones' attempts to exhume the bodies of Abraham Lincoln and/or Emily Dickinson for testing.

Quote:
That's as absurd as...

I believe you've misunderstood my initial point. Hopefully this cleared it up.

Fisky
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2009, 1:47 am

I do not think he is overall. Although he has some tendencies such as rocking and fickleness, he seems to have a lot more in common with the average person. Aspergers syndrome was barely used if ever as a diagnosis when he was a child and teen.

Besides, if I was in a multi-billion dollar enterprise, I would not make it public knowledge that I might have a condition. I would rather keep it to myself.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2009, 10:37 pm

Well I heard about this myth very frequently. But there has to be articles to talk about Bill Gate's upbringing as a child, how he grew up, how he socialized with his peers and so on.
So there needs to be more books and so on to back up this statement.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 11:13 pm

FreeSpirit2000 wrote:
Well I heard about this myth very frequently. But there has to be articles to talk about Bill Gate's upbringing as a child, how he grew up, how he socialized with his peers and so on.

back up what statement? What myth. Is there a link to what you are referring to here?

:D

Merle

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 2:46 am

I don’t like speculating about people who are still alive.
If he doesn’t want to be a poster child for Asperger’s, that’s his choice.
One’s reputation matters, in business and in personal relationships.
How he manages it should be left to him.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 11:00 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
FreeSpirit2000 wrote:

back up what statement? What myth. Is there a link to what you are referring to here?

:D

Merle

A parent was recently asking if its true, the rumors that Bill Gates has AS. Of course, we have no idea, just many different opinions. So, I've assumed the poster is referring to that thread.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 11:23 pm

Threads merged.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

warpos
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2016, 11:18 am

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 12:01 pm

Why is this topic in the Parents' Discussion section?
Just wondering.