Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lucymac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2009, 10:16 pm

and she attends religion classes weekly as well. She actually makes us get up and go and feel somewhat guilty if we miss it. She gets some kind of calmness from it and enjoys the singing I think. It's a progressive, positive church overall and she is older. When she was younger it was harder. I think that religion is a gift I can provide her that she can chose to leave or keep as she becomes an adult. The fact that she enjoys it and I believe in the core goodness of the teachings is a positive in our lives. But whatever works for you personally and each child/church is so different. My advice is to keep trying slowly and also try other churches is yours insn't accepting of individual differences.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:45 am

katrine wrote:
My son screached GOD IS DEAD! at the top of his voice through the one wedding we took him to. :lol: We didn\t take him back...

What a little hellraiser. :o

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2009, 3:09 am

i really think it depends on the kind of church a person attends.
my kids s and NT would never be able to sit through a mass but how many 5 &3 year olds can?
i appreciate the gatherings i attend as they have tables with toys in teh back or the families with younger kids and an excellent childrens program during teh service, they understand that kids have different ways of learning, which is awesome.
i donn't know how pleasant an experience itwold be if we didn't attend there,but we all enjoy it.

my suggestion to those whostill want to attend a service but one church doesn;t fit is to "church shop" tose if you can find one near you that better suits your needs.

for me and my kids faith is an important part of our lives, but it goes beyond merely attending a sevice once a week.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:48 am

katrine wrote:
My son screached GOD IS DEAD! at the top of his voice through the one wedding we took him to. :lol: We didn\t take him back...

All through a wedding - you didn't take him out? I bet everyone was thrilled :roll:

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:17 am

slowmutant wrote:
gramirez wrote:
My parents dragged me to the "Mega-church".

I hate religion. It's the root of all evil.

No, money is the root of all evil. Just because you hate it doesn't mean it's the root of all evil. That is quite an exaggeration.

No, love of money is the root of all evil.

gramirez wrote:
why do you think there has been so much fighting in human civilization? Most of it is the result of religious differences. So yes, it IS the root of all evil.

But people think that means all religions are evil and it doesn't.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:25 am

gramirez wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
gramirez wrote:

No, money is the root of all evil. Just because you hate it doesn't mean it's the root of all evil. That is quite an exaggeration.

why do you think there has been so much fighting in human civilization? Most of it is the result of religious differences. So yes, it IS the root of all evil.

Not to mention it's all B.S. (in my opinion anyways)

You're 14. :roll:

Give it a decade or so.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:04 am

slowmutant wrote:
gramirez wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
gramirez wrote:

Not to mention it's all B.S. (in my opinion anyways)

You're 14. :roll:

Give it a decade or so.

:lol:
*thumbsup*

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:26 am

Just so we're clear on this, mega-churches are not representative of religion in general. Not remotely. But if your only experience with religion has taken place in one of those mega-church monstrosities, I can appreciate where you're coming from.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:31 am

Jimbeaux wrote:
Have any of you ever taken your AS children to church? What is usually their reaction.

Given my experience, I can't see Billy (my girlfriend's 9 year old AS boy) sitting there for an hour being quiet without being disruptive and constantly complaining about being bored.

I was forced to go to mass every Sunday for the first 17 years of my life. I would have had my backside tanned had I made a noise or complained. I did nothing other than go into my own little happy place for the two hours we were there (in the early years) and listen to the Latin. (There were no microphones involved.) Later, when they changed it to English, it was more boring and the music was awful (guitar garbage instead of the classics), but still not a place to do anything but exactly as instructed.

It's more about how you train a child from the very beginning, I think... except in cases of severe impairment. In which case, why are you taking the child to a church service they won't understand? If the child is bored, s/he is not involved in the service and is not getting any sort of message from it. Don't torture the kid by making them sit through something meaningless.

As for me, once I was no longer forced to go, I have not gone. It's meaningless to me. I'm happy for anyone who finds comfort there, but I just find it another social club - and not one to which I'd like to belong.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:53 am

Not everyone will find any personal benefit from the church experience. And for every kid whose parents bring them to Sunday Mass, Church = God. Your early church experiences, if you had any, have undoubtedly shaped your attitude towards religion in general. A person who had bad experiences as a kid will grow up to hate religion, hate church, maybe even God.

But if you were fortunate enogh to have positive (or at least neutral) experiences, you're likely to become a church-going adult.

It's one thing for a person to say, "I'm not religious," but quite another when they say,
"I hate religion and everything it stands for. If God were here, I'd kill him."

I always have to wonder how these extreme militant atheist types became so vitriolic. It's not natural for anyone to think/feel this way unless some kind of trauma or negative experience caused it.

No one is born with that kind of hate in them.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 8:07 am

Maybe some people are possessed. I have often wondered at times in my life if I am. Not that I usually can remember but people who are not even religious have commented. Mostly when I am myself I am nothing like a possessed person. Seriously, I have scared alot of people.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 9:05 am

Are possessed people aware that they are possessed? Or do you just black out whenever the demonic personality is controlling you?

But many cases of demonic possession probably turned out to be something else, which makes me wonder about all those supposed demon-possessed people in the 1st century. How many of those people were just having epileptic fits? Maybe to the people of 1st century Palestine, epilepsy was demonic possession. I wonder what their criteria might have been ...

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 9:12 am

Not often but I cna blank out and for a day and a night and it is confirmed I don't have epilepsy.

Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2009, 12:38 pm

Jimbeaux wrote:
Have any of you ever taken your AS children to church? What is usually their reaction.

Given my experience, I can't see Billy (my girlfriend's 9 year old AS boy) sitting there for an hour being quiet without being disruptive and constantly complaining about being bored.

I was satan-worshipper, and our school always had christmas and summer events in church, so I went there with my pentagrams and my blackest clothes and just sat and looked hateful. It worked.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:00 pm

i tried to bring son to church, but he was too antsy.....hubby, who also has AS, was brought up in a devout Catholic family. He remembers years of what he calls "torture". To this day, I cannot get him to go to church.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:13 pm

Zyborg wrote:
Jimbeaux wrote:

I was satan-worshipper, and our school always had christmas and summer events in church, so I went there with my pentagrams and my blackest clothes and just sat and looked hateful. It worked.

How original. :roll: