Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

That_Other_Guy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2009, 1:20 pm

I've gotten out of college, i've been out since last May, and no one is willing to look at my resume or applications. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a bad time bound to get worse?

RustyShackleford
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2009, 1:26 pm

Definitely not a good time. I have had more jobs than most and am pretty experienced at making things happen now but I only just found my current job by the skin of my teeth after being laid off in Oct.

You didn't mention how wide you are searching? I hate to ask as I have so many friends in your predicament but some of them are determined they should not have to apply for anything outside their fields now that they have degrees.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 6:03 pm

That Other Guy, it'd be easier for WP'ers to give you some advice if you could provide some more details, if you'd be ok with that. Like ... what sort of jobs are you looking for and/or what did you study in college and/or where are you based?

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 1:31 am

I'm still in college, and looking for a job. I got laid off over a month ago, and have since been putting applications in anywhere that will take them. Nobody has contacted me about any of them. Most of the people I worked with are having the same problem.

I hope this global hiring freeze ends soon.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 5:09 pm

Same as I was, only my first recession was the recession of '80. I wound up at Taco Bell as an assistant manager, with a BA in Business Administration.

This is the worst since '83 (and I remember that very unfondly. Best I could do was an 'inventory technician', driving around in long vans to count all the produce at five and dime stores).

No one is actually creating jobs; a lot of people are leaving jobs unfilled to 'save money'. Those of us who still have jobs are doing the equivalent of 2 or 3 people's work.

I'd check the listings on Monster.com (though I've been told that that won't help you if you spend a lot of time on it), see what's in your field, see what they're asking for, and make sure you get some training on it.

You're in a really frustrating position; knowledge, but not much experience. Been there, done that, had the security guard uniform (about how low I sank before starting back up the ladder) to prove it.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 6:29 pm

Many NT's who have lots of work experience and degrees can't even find jobs, let alone AS'ers right out of Uni with no experience. This is why I am going to go into a trades job, even though I will have a degree this year. The trick is to take a job that most people don't want, where they have a hard time getting good workers. There are some very high paying trades jobs you can do, as long as you are

A) a strong/fit guy
B) reasonably intelligent and willing to learn
C) don't mind moving for employment, and spending a lot of time away from friends and family (other than my parents and a couple others I have noone)
D) can work 12 hour shifts outside in sh***y weather

=instant good job where I will be making $50-$80 grand NET PAY first year. This is mainly because of racking up insane amounts of overtime pay.

So while all these other morons are racking up more student loans and can't find a job, I will be getting paid bank and on my way to a sweet truck and house.

If I don't do something like this, I will either have to go to trade school (will take too long, I'm going to be 26 this year), or probably get an internship somewhere than pays me $18 grand a year. Screw that.

What was said about experience is key. Work experience is everything... if I could go back, I would've never gone to university anyways. Unless you are going to be in engineering or medicine, I would say f**k college it's a waste of time (remember, I have a degree).

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 1:22 am

Space wrote:
What was said about experience is key. Work experience is everything... if I could go back, I would've never gone to university anyways. Unless you are going to be in engineering or medicine, I would say f**k college it's a waste of time (remember, I have a degree).

The real winner is the combination of a degree and work experience. There are many jobs that HR simply will not fill with someone that does not have a degree.

Personally I don't believe one or the other is the key. I think combining the two together nets a far greater result than the sum of them separately.

Anyway, my point is, college is not a waste of time if you apply yourself to the correct area and use it in combination with other career building steps.