Page 20 of 21 [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 9:41 am

Curiotical wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Yes, I'm proud to have a mind of my own.

As am I. Unless you are proud or happy with who you are, you'll never truly be happy. It saddens me to see so many negative posts in this thread.

If someone can define any positives in the big list of things I wrote a few posts above this one, then I might be able to be happy. Trust me, everything I wrote there are not exaggerated at all. Even if there were good points, they definately get swallowed up among all the bad points.

MrWunderbar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2012, 2:07 pm

Ask yourself this: Would my problem be a problem outside of modern society?

You do not have to be proud of what you are. You merely have to accept it. Embrace it. You can not find the positives in it until you do.

There is nothing wrong with the way we think. It is just different. Just because modern society was created to cater to the NTs it does not mean we are bad people for not fitting in. Today people all live right on top of each other in stupid little boxes for no reason. Instead of spending our days making the thing we want or need we instead go to other little boxes where we do things we hate so we can earn paper that we can trade for the things we want or need.

A lot of us can not make ourselves do things we are not interested in but why should we have to? It is this age we can not live in properly but this age is also unsustainable. So why are we the ones that are wrong.

I once read that Aspies are more suited to solitary jobs such as hunters and lighthouse keepers. That the reason we notice so many more people with the condition is that these jobs are disappearing and thus leaving less places for us to function in this society.

You are better than you think you are. Most of the diagnosed Aspies get diagnosed because they are unable to function in this world. You could not find a place in this world for yourself. People have convinced you that the way you think is wrong. It is not. You will be able to do great things once you remember who you are.

Most nerds are undiagnosed Aspies that have embraced who they are. They found others like themselves. A place to belong. That is why you will always find nerds flocking together. We still are not able to interact on a social level with our peers as well as the NTs can with each other but, once we all understand this, it is not a problem.

I understand the way others like me think. I can make assumptions on how an NT will react in a given situation based on how I have observed them act in the past but I will never be able to properly understand how they think.

Our ability to see the whole picture better than NTs is an ADVANTAGE. It is why we can see the world is stupid and broken and they can not. The big picture is key to truly understanding anything. The key is learning to apply the understanding of the general to the specific or to take the specific and use it to understand the general.

There are MANY positives to thinking the way we do. Until you embrace what you are you will never find them.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

21 Oct 2012, 2:42 pm

Australien wrote:
Being proud of the genes passed on to you is ridiculous. I don't think it's something to be proud or ashamed of, it just is.

I agree with this post, so many people in the world are proud who're they born, I care about achievements not about a family tree.

Last edited by Dizzee on 21 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 2:44 pm

It's not something I can change. I can only wish that I had been born as someone else. I suppose I could say I'm ashamed of it. I'm certainly not proud to be me.

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2012, 5:58 pm

Basically I'm proud of having aspergers because it makes me who I am. If my aspergers suddenly disappeared right now I wouldn't like it because I like being who I am. Yes I have some motor skill problems and special interests people find annoying when I talk about all the time. But that's me. I was born an aspie and I'm proud of that. I wouldn't want it any other way. Also I've heard aspies can do great things and are very smart. My IQ is 113 and even though that's not quite genius level, I still believe I can contribute something great to the world based on my obsessions. Something that only aspies have the qualities to contribute too. So you should just be proud of who you are and know that even though it's tough for you you'll do something great in the world even if it has nothing to do with communication skills or full focus. Consider you special interests then go from there.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

I'm proud of being an Aspie. My Aspergers is part of me and is unchangeable.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 8:06 pm

LeeAnderson wrote:
I can only wish that I had been born as someone else. I suppose I could say I'm ashamed of it. I'm certainly not proud to be me.

Why?

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 8:16 pm

Curiotical wrote:
LeeAnderson wrote:
I can only wish that I had been born as someone else. I suppose I could say I'm ashamed of it. I'm certainly not proud to be me.

Why?

Because I don't like myself.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 9:31 pm

LeeAnderson wrote:
Curiotical wrote:
LeeAnderson wrote:

Why?

Because I don't like myself.

im in that same boat, I dont live for anything I just exist waiting to die.

MrWunderbar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2012, 11:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-FOOQ1TpE[/youtube]

This is what you get when your special interest is Astrophysics. Like he explains in the video, it does not matter what your interest is in, if you apply your unique perspective to it, you will be able to think of something worthwhile to add to it. He just does not realize yet that it was his Autism that provided that perspective and that normal people do not have the abilities he does. Accept who and what you are and you will be better than you ever thought possible.

Last edited by MrWunderbar on 22 Oct 2012, 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrWunderbar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2012, 12:01 am

Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong. ~ Benjamin Hoff

revertigo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2012, 12:09 am

Joe90 wrote:
Who can be proud of having a childhood of being the outcast at school?

Who can be proud of not having many friends, no matter how much effort you try to make with people?

Who can be proud of not being able to enjoy vacations, because NTs seem to base their vacations around making friends with people they'll never see again, and that's one thing you struggle to do, which then spoils your time because the whole point of a vacation is to relax, not to feel even more tense because of having social obligations?

Who can be proud of having a severe irritation for normal household noises, what you can't just block out?

Who can be proud of having emotions that are out of control, and so you basically have to be stuck on meds for the rest of your life?

Who can be proud of having unique peeves what cause you to have crazy compulsive behaviour what most other people don't understand and just accuse you of being stupid and unreasonable?

Who can be proud of letting other people's intentions go beyond your satisfaction?

Who can be proud of being stared and laughed at in public, even if you're ''mild'' enough to be able to know how to appear normal in public places, both behaviour and appearance?

Who can be proud of having a habit of making friends with the wrong people (admittedly I have finally found the right people, although I can count all the friends I have on one hand)?

Who can be proud of being hyper-aware of what your NT peers are doing, causing intense feelings of isolation and depression?

Who can be proud of giving your parents unique problems?

Who can be proud of having special interests that you enjoy having but at the same time they invite more stress into your life?

Who can be proud of feeling so alone without your special interests, because they are part of your coping strategy, so you end up letting them become more important than anything else in your life, getting other people to critically ''worry'' about you?

Who can be proud of having such high anxiety levels over such small things that it actually takes over your mind?

Who can be proud of having such severe sensory issues with loud noises that you practically have to live your life trying to avoid things that make loud sudden noises, because it's the type of fear that can't be reasoned with or overcome?

Who can be proud of being unable to find a job and having it harder than the average person because of the few more barriers that you have?

Who can be proud of having strange ideas of how you want to live your life, what most other people don't understand?

Who can be proud of needing a routine in life in order to be able to get along (another coping strategy)?

Who can be proud of having frequent outbursts, over things like snow, tummy bugs, and annoying brothers sitting in same room as me?

Who can be proud of feeling stressed if somebody else close to you changes their life, for example your sister getting pregnant and having a baby?

Who can be proud of often giving off the wrong body language, like making a face you didn't want to make at a particular time, or making yourself look more stupid when you're in the spotlight, making yourself more of an easy target for people to gain cheap entertainment from, in other words being prone to have people taking the mickey out of you?

Who can be proud of appearing odd to other people, which then causes social anxiety for you, which affects nearly every aspect of your life because you are too ''normal'' to get any extra support so you have no choice but to face interaction in order to survive, basically?

And who can be proud of practically having every faulty trait, only you don't really but it can appear that you do to other people?

There's probably about 100 more downsides to AS but I will stop now, otherwise the list would be so long that WP would probably have problems loading.

Me?

MrWunderbar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2012, 12:22 am

All Aspies need to realize that they are not alone. There are others like them. Like us.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 12:10 pm

revertigo wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Who can be proud of having a childhood of being the outcast at school?

Who can be proud of not having many friends, no matter how much effort you try to make with people?

Who can be proud of not being able to enjoy vacations, because NTs seem to base their vacations around making friends with people they'll never see again, and that's one thing you struggle to do, which then spoils your time because the whole point of a vacation is to relax, not to feel even more tense because of having social obligations?

Who can be proud of having a severe irritation for normal household noises, what you can't just block out?

Who can be proud of having emotions that are out of control, and so you basically have to be stuck on meds for the rest of your life?

Who can be proud of having unique peeves what cause you to have crazy compulsive behaviour what most other people don't understand and just accuse you of being stupid and unreasonable?

Who can be proud of letting other people's intentions go beyond your satisfaction?

Who can be proud of being stared and laughed at in public, even if you're ''mild'' enough to be able to know how to appear normal in public places, both behaviour and appearance?

Who can be proud of having a habit of making friends with the wrong people (admittedly I have finally found the right people, although I can count all the friends I have on one hand)?

Who can be proud of being hyper-aware of what your NT peers are doing, causing intense feelings of isolation and depression?

Who can be proud of giving your parents unique problems?

Who can be proud of having special interests that you enjoy having but at the same time they invite more stress into your life?

Who can be proud of feeling so alone without your special interests, because they are part of your coping strategy, so you end up letting them become more important than anything else in your life, getting other people to critically ''worry'' about you?

Who can be proud of having such high anxiety levels over such small things that it actually takes over your mind?

Who can be proud of having such severe sensory issues with loud noises that you practically have to live your life trying to avoid things that make loud sudden noises, because it's the type of fear that can't be reasoned with or overcome?

Who can be proud of being unable to find a job and having it harder than the average person because of the few more barriers that you have?

Who can be proud of having strange ideas of how you want to live your life, what most other people don't understand?

Who can be proud of needing a routine in life in order to be able to get along (another coping strategy)?

Who can be proud of having frequent outbursts, over things like snow, tummy bugs, and annoying brothers sitting in same room as me?

Who can be proud of feeling stressed if somebody else close to you changes their life, for example your sister getting pregnant and having a baby?

Who can be proud of often giving off the wrong body language, like making a face you didn't want to make at a particular time, or making yourself look more stupid when you're in the spotlight, making yourself more of an easy target for people to gain cheap entertainment from, in other words being prone to have people taking the mickey out of you?

Who can be proud of appearing odd to other people, which then causes social anxiety for you, which affects nearly every aspect of your life because you are too ''normal'' to get any extra support so you have no choice but to face interaction in order to survive, basically?

And who can be proud of practically having every faulty trait, only you don't really but it can appear that you do to other people?

There's probably about 100 more downsides to AS but I will stop now, otherwise the list would be so long that WP would probably have problems loading.

Me?

Wow.....you must be one incredibly strong person who can put up with negative things. I can't find anything positive in any of the things listed in the white box. Nothing at all.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 12:17 pm

I wouldn't be proud of something that destroys my inner peace.

MrWunderbar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2012, 1:00 pm

"I wouldn't be proud of something that destroys my inner peace."

You can still find inner peace. Nothing about what we are stops us from finding our center. If anything it is easier for us to understand how than NTs. Society has convinced you to estrange yourself from your spirit. Find your Tao and you will find peace.