Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

NovaBat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2009, 9:26 am

I've always felt lonely, and been the one who was made fun of. Now finally, I found a group of friends who support me, and like me for who I am. Yet still there's a hunger for more friends. It seems no matter how many friends I get, I always want more. It's like a primal drive to me. Half the time I see everyone as friends/potential friends, even if later they turn out to be almost enemies!

Does anyone else experience this? Is this normal for autistics?

-NovaBat

StarDragger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 10:11 pm

I don't know if it's normal for autistics, but I can guarantee you're not the only one who experiences this. It makes a lot of sense that having only a few friends when so many people around you seem so popular makes you want more. Not because you necessarily are looking to be popular, but because it feels like you're missing out on something really important.

As for seeing people as friends and them turning out to be practical enemies, I've experienced that as well. I think it relates to the inability to notice subtleties about other people, like discomfort, or other subtle emotions. You want to make friends, but then don't realize when someone else doesn't want to be your friend.