How badly is autism affecting your life?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

How badly is autism affecting your life?
I'm completely disabled. 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Suffering, but surviving. 65%  65%  [ 44 ]
Feeling rather unaffected. 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Doing better than the average NT. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 68

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 1:35 am

I haven't been hit by an Ion Cannon blast so I'm not disabled :P :P

(kudos to whoever gets that joke)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 4:19 am

A Galactic Empire task force bombarded my city from several light minutes away with a single ion cannon salvo from its command ship when I was born (they just wanted to disable me, rather than completely vaporize the continent).

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2009, 4:46 am

none of these fit me. Im affected but defenately not suffering and dont concider myself disabled. Most people who say their suffering are not really suffering. suffering is starving to death in 3rd world countrys or being toutured. Not having friends or not being able to get a job or even living in your car is not suffering. its just not doing well. Ive never been able to keep a job, i cant cook without burning my food, i was in high school until i was 22, and didnt lose my virginity until i was in my 20s, but i have food and shelter so i think im doing just fine and am thankful for what i have.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 12:47 pm

I cant really answer this because I dont know what my life would be like if I was a NT, and to be honest I think that at the moment I would be doing a lot worse in the things that matter if I was.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 3:16 am

carltcwc wrote:
none of these fit me. Im affected but defenately not suffering and dont concider myself disabled. Most people who say their suffering are not really suffering.

People can be very good at making themselves suffer... people with severe depression and suicidal ideation are actually suffering, not only mentally but physiologically as well. The long term effects of severe depression cause quite a lot of injury to the body. Cardiovascular health, digestive health, headaches, shortened life span and even retardation of neurogenesis in the brain (it dumbs you down basically). It can be a kind of slow torture (and I mean, legitimate torture, like thumb-screws) if you let it. Heck for that matter being whipped is only physically painful for a short while -- that part wears off and much more of the damage of torture is psychological. And our culture is largely unaware yet that we have much control over our psychology to begin with -- so there are a lot of people suffering physiologically with depression and simply unaware that they have the power to change that fact.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2009, 3:23 am

ike wrote:
carltcwc wrote:
none of these fit me. Im affected but defenately not suffering and dont concider myself disabled. Most people who say their suffering are not really suffering.

People can be very good at making themselves suffer... people with severe depression and suicidal ideation are actually suffering, not only mentally but physiologically as well. The long term effects of severe depression cause quite a lot of injury to the body. Cardiovascular health, digestive health, headaches, shortened life span and even retardation of neurogenesis in the brain (it dumbs you down basically). It can be a kind of slow torture (and I mean, legitimate torture, like thumb-screws) if you let it. Heck for that matter being whipped is only physically painful for a short while -- that part wears off and much more of the damage of torture is psychological. And our culture is largely unaware yet that we have much control over our psychology to begin with -- so there are a lot of people suffering physiologically with depression and simply unaware that they have the power to change that fact.

Yeah, I used to be completely disabled because of this. And I think it was brought on, or at least exacerbated, by ASD. Now I'm surviving. Sometimes I suffer, sometimes I don't. Today, for instance. I AM HAVING A GREAT DAY. It's amazing.

TheMaverick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2009, 3:25 am

i picked suffering but suviving. in some respects im doing better than the average NT, ie financial status, got a good job and have a clear career path.
But i couldnt pick that because of the way i feel. Basicly Im lonely, its the whole relationships thing. I stuggle with the friends i have and Im nowhere near finding that special someone. Im terribly frustrated with it all

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 4:02 am

hmm, i guess im suffering but surviving, what makes it so hard is how cognitively delayed im affected, i still dont understand a lot of stuff for example my bf avoids talking about certian subjects to me because he knows i cant comprehend it which really saddens me almost makes me feel retarded and i know its true because i dont understand it and left there lost completely confused and then upset which leads me into a meltdown so i guess its best ppl avoid certian things like that for instance taxes never will ever understand it, my brain is still processing that i woke up lol yea talk about slow, my brain is on either pause mode, slow mode or fast forward mode, yea you don't want to be in my head heck i don't and i gotta live with my brain jeeeez lolol, and... how bad my speech and self help skills are, i hate having my mother do my hair, hate having ppl do every single thing for me, and hate how sometimes my words are either not there or stuck, or they come out distorted like i want to speak in a sentence and my brain is lazy and only lets out a few words

anyways though, sometimes i wish autism would just disappear,,, then i start going into a flapping frenzy running around the house screeching after rubbing my rubber keyboard practicing typing the abc song lolol for a bit, completely forgetting that thought i was thinking lol and made me realize, heck not many ppl can pull "living in the moment" off, and I do it 24-7 heheh :lol: .

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:05 am

It is not so much a question of how bad but how much and it has effected my life very very much indeed

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2009, 5:54 am

Suffering, but surviving, barely. I wouldn't say I'm completely disabled by it, but it has caused some major issues for me (and probably will cause more in the future). I guess its all up to whether or not what I can do and achieve is worth it compared to what I will never be able to do.

euan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2009, 7:21 am

I agree

Who_Am_I wrote:
Most of the time I feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall trying to get anywhere, but despite the frustration, I'm happy, and I seem to be surviving.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:35 am

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
I'm suffering but surviving.

Same with me.