Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 11:05 am

ad2009 wrote:
i was wondering about people who look at themselves in the mirror alot and how to overcome that problem.

Yes, I do this sometimes. Although it is not a persistent problem for me, it is a nagging issue that I could do without.

I will randomly catch myself staring into the bathroom mirror, mostly mimicking facial expressions and postures that I'd thought about or seen. In other instances, time seems to vanish, and I will drift into a trance-like state. Then I will snap out of it, realize what I had been doing, and move on. The mirror also has a complicit role in my trichotillomania, which is compulsive hair-pulling; a response to anxiety and stress that I am usually barely aware of.

To avert these problems, I try to stay very task-oriented. If I have to stop what I'm doing to use the restroom, I try to mentally keep working on whatever it is so that I can get in, get out and not get caught in the mirror. If I am more in the "present-moment" (which I most often am), then I have a tendency to fall into the aforementioned behaviors.

I had not really thought about this before... thanks for posting this topic!