Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:48 am

P-Lane wrote:
Are pretty much the same thing. IMO anyway. Anyone feel the same way? I was a hard core democrat and Atheist in High School now, I don't affiliate with any particular religion or political party.

Both major parties ascribe to a statist ideology and pursue statists goals and policies. They both assume government should be a central and major force in people's lives.

I am of a different opinion. I think governments should keep the peace, guard the boundaries and provide law courts to settle disputes and punish crimes against life and property. Any further activity is wretched excess.

ruveyn

t0
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 12:28 pm

AspE wrote:
Please explain how they "beat down" third parties. Third parties need to start locally, and build a base, something they have so far failed to do in significant numbers.

It's easy to beat down third parties when your party controls the redistricting rules after the national Census. Both the Republicans and Democrats have shown that they will redistrict in ways that help themselves. In both cases, they're breaking up the third party vote.

I'm not saying the third parties have their acts together, but you can't get into power if those in power have the ability to redistrict your voters.

v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2009, 5:10 pm

They are fuel for libral abuse.. Republicans are scum.. Democrats aren't much better.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 7:31 pm

t0 wrote:
AspE wrote:
Please explain how they "beat down" third parties. Third parties need to start locally, and build a base, something they have so far failed to do in significant numbers.

It's easy to beat down third parties when your party controls the redistricting rules after the national Census. Both the Republicans and Democrats have shown that they will redistrict in ways that help themselves. In both cases, they're breaking up the third party vote.

I'm not saying the third parties have their acts together, but you can't get into power if those in power have the ability to redistrict your voters.

There have been many third parties in the US, the Whigs, the Populists... But their success is limited by the electoral college system. All they do is split the vote, or one party adopts their positions and takes their voters.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 9:00 pm

Both parties have become an insult to the intelligence of average people so for the life of me I can't understand why we tolerate them anymore. I know that they are well entrenched and well funded with tons of 'media' support on both wings but they are just straw dogs and ignorant ones at that.
I think that once we actually have a free and unbiased press in this country again, if that ever happens, we will see these crooks go down the highway.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 7:09 pm

I think these days, they are pretty much the same, there is a cliff and its a question of who is going to get there faster. I for one vote libertarian, not because they want to legalize marijuana ( which I would like to see) but because they actually believe in LESS government, back to the essentials if you will, maintaining roads, armed services and the like. These days, there are reports of studies on the mating habits of cockroaches

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 7:31 pm

Not every Democrat is in favor of the "fairness doctrine", me, for instance. I think it's basically unenforceable.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 7:51 pm

Yes let them figfht, and when its all over I will stand over the fields of corpses

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 9:41 pm

They are the two wings of the government spoils party.

Each seeks a share of government spending.

Worldcom was based on getting the Pentagon email contract, because Trent Lott was a friend of Bernie Ebbers, who had been a night club bouncer and party enforcer.

They had no idea how to run a business, and there were lots of people on the payroll who never came to work.

When it fell there was no investigation.

Political connections, kickbacks, government contracts, government secrets.

All of Congress is there to get pork for their district.

All of Congress sees their district as people who give them money.

Wall Street has been paying Congress $250,000,000 a year for deregulation.

They got the Glass-Segal Act of 1933 removed, it had kept the markets honest for 70 years.

Wall Street then made trillions on paper backed by nothing but promisses.

When the bubble burst, it was all legal, they had the law changed, and now the tax payer can clean up their mess.

One Nation, Pay to Play.

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2009, 3:23 pm

When there are only two parties with big tents both parties will end up pretty moderate.

I know a guy working on his MS Poli-Sci degree who puts it a nice way.

"Democrats will smile to your face and stab you in the back. Republicans just stab you in the front."

I do want to add another honest politician other than Texan Ron Paul, Minnesotan Paul Wellstone.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 7:46 pm

I'm starting to lean toward Libertarianism myself.