BREAKING: Autistic Student Bullied In School, Parents Sue

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

WhittenKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2009, 8:50 pm

Sadly there is no method that is goign to just take away teasing, as much as i would like it to stop. Sueing is like hte American Dream in my opinion, if you don't like someone .. just sue 'em. That's sadly how it is. But personally, I would rather not sing a song, there is no song that needs to be sung.. but thanks for the suggestion.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 8:52 pm

WhittenKitten wrote:
Sadly there is no method that is goign to just take away teasing, as much as i would like it to stop. Sueing is like hte American Dream in my opinion, if you don't like someone .. just sue 'em. That's sadly how it is. But personally, I would rather not sing a song, there is no song that needs to be sung.. but thanks for the suggestion.

Enough people suing would draw a lot of media attention though - which was kind of my initial point here.

WhittenKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2009, 8:56 pm

But it's not really the same thing if someone who is considered an NT to go and sue, of all the cases I have heard of kids being teased who decided to take it to court it was students who had some type of disability. Which i'm sure would get a reply of "only kids who have disabilities get teased harshly." which isn't true at all, most people I know who were teased to the point of suicide (besides myself but i'm not an NT), my friends are NT's though. they got it worse than those who were in the RSP program (they were ultra protected by like the teachers/their best buddy (program for those who aren't in special ed to befriend someone who is and plan hang outs and stuff, it was a very good program..)

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 9:00 pm

WhittenKitten wrote:
But it's not really the same thing if someone who is considered an NT to go and sue, of all the cases I have heard of kids being teased who decided to take it to court it was students who had some type of disability. Which i'm sure would get a reply of "only kids who have disabilities get teased harshly." which isn't true at all, most people I know who were teased to the point of suicide (besides myself but i'm not an NT), my friends are NT's though. they got it worse than those who were in the RSP program (they were ultra protected by like the teachers/their best buddy (program for those who aren't in special ed to befriend someone who is and plan hang outs and stuff, it was a very good program..)

A flurry of people suing for bulling in schools would get a lot of attention, NT or not. The question really is would there be someone who could effectively capitalise on that attention to effectively tackle bullying in schools.

I personally think Cho style is almost guaranteed to work and well worth its cost.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 9:30 pm

Kangoogle wrote:
I personally think Cho style is almost guaranteed to work and well worth its cost.

No. Killing people is not the solution.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 9:36 pm

Orwell wrote:
Kangoogle wrote:

You forget how many kids bullies kill through causing the suicide of someone else. A few well planned and targetted rampages would almost certainly stop bullying for a long period of time.

It might be easily arguable that by organising such rampages, one would be saving lives in the net case. Dangerous path I know, but so is the current status quo.

spockezri
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 10:46 am

Kangoogle wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Kangoogle wrote:

You forget how many kids bullies kill through causing the suicide of someone else. A few well planned and targetted rampages would almost certainly stop bullying for a long period of time.

It might be easily arguable that by organising such rampages, one would be saving lives in the net case. Dangerous path I know, but so is the current status quo.

So true...like how about twenty people in my grade could be blamed for my eventual death...

You and I must fight for our rights,
You and I must fight to survive.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:17 am

spockezri wrote:
Kangoogle wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Kangoogle wrote:

So true...like how about twenty people in my grade could be blamed for my eventual death...

You would not have to kill all school bullies to stop it, all you would have to do is scare them into not doing it on a national basis - which is what a few well timed rampages would do. Not that I am suggesting anyone does this - for one I tend not to think the lives of those bullies killed in the rampage are worth anything.

dalekaspie
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 11:53 am

they dont deserve the air they breathe

spockezri
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 1:41 pm

dalekaspie wrote:
they dont deserve the air they breathe

They don't deserve the carbon they are made of either...they are a waste of water...etc.

You and I must fight for our rights,
You and I must fight to survive.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 3:42 pm

This is obviously a topic fraught with emotion, however one side is consistently shouted down. The average person has absolutely no idea what it is to fear every day, to be dehumanised and rendered other continually, to be fallen upon by a pack of jackals eager to aggrandize their self worth by picking an easy target. And for what reason? Because a person is quiet or stares at nothing frequently, lost in their thoughts? Because they don't pick up the social queues their peers so easily do? The very fact that people resort to shooting others should tell something about the emotional distress they were in. Writing it off as the work of a psychopath ignores the hidden (or should I say ignored?) crimes perpetrated on a daily basis by the worst sort of people, those that predate upon the defenseless to feel good.

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 11:33 pm

Good for the parents. Alot of this bullying crap is tolerated. Who has to take the drugs to cope? The one being bullied! That right there is the real outrage. Not poor school who is being sued. Maybe this story will be read and it will sink in that maybe more needs to be done to bullies in school. Why has our society become so tolerant of bullies anyway?

Dionysus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2009, 1:47 am

Kangoogle wrote:

I'm not sure I either like nor agree with this line of reasoning. I was bullied rather severely all through primary school and I do know what it's like but I have to disagree with the idea that any kind of violence could have any positive effect as far as AS people are concerned. (Or any others for that matter.) A rampage by an AS student would not serve to warn people or intimidate them in better behavior rather it would just further ostracize AS people in schools particularly.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:32 am

Dionysus wrote:
Kangoogle wrote:

I'm not sure I either like nor agree with this line of reasoning. I was bullied rather severely all through primary school and I do know what it's like but I have to disagree with the idea that any kind of violence could have any positive effect as far as AS people are concerned. (Or any others for that matter.) A rampage by an AS student would not serve to warn people or intimidate them in better behavior rather it would just further ostracize AS people in schools particularly.

Nah - what will happen is it will get blamed on something else (for example with Cho it was him being Korean). He just happened to have been bullied and have Autism too, we will get off nearly scot free.

Dionysus

09 Jan 2009, 7:49 pm

Well that's true sadly but I still can't see it doing anything in the way of improving the treatment of AS people.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:28 pm

Dionysus wrote:
Well that's true sadly but I still can't see it doing anything in the way of improving the treatment of AS people.

Minusing most of the school bullies would have a significant impact. Or have you moved onto the stage after school?