Church of Scientology Speaks on Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

messygeek
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2009, 2:40 am

The Church of Scientology has recently spoken on Autism (link). In a statement the church spokesperson goes into the church's beliefs on medication, illnesses, and mental health issues, and autism.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 5:07 am

"Beliefs" should not have anything to do with autism or aspergers. Leave these idiotic scientologists to their delusions.

If I get a broken leg it isn't a question of belief or not, it is simply a fact, not something requiring belief.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 6:41 am

yet another reason to think of scientology as nothing more than ridiculous and pathetic. i bet John Travolta's not even shed a tear over his sons death.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:21 am

familiar_stranger wrote:
yet another reason to think of scientology as nothing more than ridiculous and pathetic. i bet John Travolta's not even shed a tear over his sons death.

That was a cheap-shot.

John Travolta is a person, just like you. People of all religious affliations must endure the loss of loved ones. It makes no difference what your religious beliefs are. Remember Shylock's courtroom speech in Merchant of Venice.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:24 am

Aren't we supposed to be tolerant of others differences or this reserved for fellow Aspies?

So much hypocrisy ...

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:26 am

slowmutant wrote:
familiar_stranger wrote:

That was a cheap-shot.

John Travolta is a person, just like you. People of all religious affliations must endure the loss of loved ones. It makes no difference what your religious beliefs are. Remember Shylock's courtroom speech in Merchant of Venice.

i'm sorry slowmutant but scientology isn't what i class as a religion or even way of life and those that follow it, to me, are either craving attention or don't even understand what it is they're following.

there are a lot of eople out there who have not cried when a 'loved one' has died and some have even been happy because they weren't good enough, after reading the article i believe scientology deems those with autism not good enough and so i have to believe what i do.

i'm only going by what i know, that all.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:31 am

familiar_stranger wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
familiar_stranger wrote:

That was a cheap-shot.

i'm sorry slowmutant but scientology isn't what i class as a religion or even way of life and those that follow it, to me, are either craving attention or don't even understand what it is they're following.

there are a lot of eople out there who have not cried when a 'loved one' has died and some have even been happy because they weren't good enough, after reading the article i believe scientology deems those with autism not good enough and so i have to believe what i do.

i'm only going by what i know, that all.

You are so full of sh*t. All this high-minded pontificating but you're no better those you criticize. You need to have real integrity if you're gonna preach all the time.

messygeek
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2009, 7:44 am

familiar_stranger wrote:

I'm going to guess this individual gets a high off from posting upsetting statements and pissing them off.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 8:11 am

messygeek wrote:
familiar_stranger wrote:

I'm going to guess this individual gets a high off from posting upsetting statements and pissing them off.

that idividual would be me, right?

if you're taught something your whole life and it's wrong, who's fault is it? if you've been shown the same thing over and over again is it your fault if you start to believe it?

as i said before, i'm only going by what i know.

does anyone here know john travolta on a personal level? i don't and i'm guessing no one else here does either, so i could be right but i could also be wrong. i'm willing to accept that.

i bet he hasn't shed a tear, if you guys want to bet he did then let's bet, if you can prove it was the most upsetting experience he's ever had i'll take back the remark.

scientologists in child labour aren't allowed to mutter a sound during birth, what makes death different? i don't know, so either teach me or ignore me rather than trying to make me look like an inconsiderate tw*t.

i know my comment could be seen as out of order, crude or plain hatefull but it wasn't meant like that, so don't go and say i get my high from writing upsetting statements.

Last edited by familiar_stranger on 08 Jan 2009, 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 8:11 am

I don't understand why this is such an issue. The child didn't die of autism. Yes, there's an association between autism and seizures. But the two occur separately quite often as well, plus, even when they occur together, treatment is two separate things. Having and recognizing autism doesn't change the treatment for seizures. Am I wrong on that?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 8:44 am

TallyMan wrote:
"Beliefs" should not have anything to do with autism or aspergers. Leave these idiotic scientologists to their delusions.

If I get a broken leg it isn't a question of belief or not, it is simply a fact, not something requiring belief.

Amen! It is like discussing health with an adherent to Christian Science (so called). Ignore these fanatics and crackpots. Let them stew with their engrams.

ruveyn

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 9:15 am

You're all upset because you think the CoS was somehow responsible for Jett Travolta's death because he had autism? I don't even know for sure what he may or may not have had. Only the ME knows for sure, I guess. I did find it somewhat curious that the family cremated the body instead of having it buried. I've watched enough CSI to know that cremation is a great way to destroy evidence ... but on the other hand there are any number of private family reasons the cremation could have been done. And what business is it of mine, anyway?

I urge you all to just let Jett rest in peace and stop looking for sinister plots.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 9:17 am

ruveyn wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Amen! It is like discussing health with an adherent to Christian Science (so called). Ignore these fanatics and crackpots. Let them stew with their engrams.

ruveyn

Where's your compassion? Are these Scientology people not human, as well? :(

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:08 am

I wish someone would tell the heads of $cientology where to shove their thetans and close the bloody cult down! :evil:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:16 am

Why would it matter whether a man had cried in public over his son's death, or waited until he got home and could do it in peace?

May I remind you that there are those of us here who do not cry at funerals; and that this has nothing to do with not caring about people dying?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:39 am

slowmutant wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

ruveyn

Where's your compassion? Are these Scientology people not human, as well? :(

Yes, they are. And so was Hitler and the members of the Nazi regime. Being human doesn't excuse one from evil acts. That being said, these attacks and wild conspiracy theories about the CoS being responsible for Jett Travolta's death are ridiculous.

Jett was taking medication for his seizures for a year. The medication helped, but the seizures still became more and more frequent and he had to take ever increasing doses, which was starting to cause organ damage. He had to stop taking it at that point because it's effectiveness wasn't great enough to justify the damage it was doing. Here is an article discussing these things: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28497268/

And although I feel complete apathy towards the Travoltas and their loss, I can still understand that it is tragic and it would be sad for almost anybody. While I don't deny that there are levels of brain washing, mostly religious in nature and the CoS has been guilty of this in the past, I don't think that the Travolta's or even whatever passes for an "official" within the CoS have been so lost as to feel apathy or even joy about this young man's death.
The CoS's stance on medical care is not the same as that found in Christian Science. They are not against convential medical treatment. Their issue is with psychiatry.
Finally, I should say that I am not a mouthpiece for the CoS. I despise them. But I am not an irrational, either (at least I endeavor not to be ;)).