Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 12:59 pm

When people say compatibility relates to which star sign you or others are, is this always true? For instance I am a virgo and I get a long really well with this Aries girl and she had flirted a little bit with me in the past. The thing is though apprently the Virgo and Aries star signs are not compatible?

I am not sure I just wan't to know if thier could be any truth behind this star sign myth?

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2009, 1:01 pm

Saying you will get along better with someone of the same star sign as you is total crap.

Superstition. That is all.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:06 pm

Some people buy into it.

I personally think it's crap.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:12 pm

Jamesy wrote:
When people say compatibility relates to which star sign you or others are, is this always true?

It is never true. Astrology is nonsense. Anyone that tries to convince you otherwise is either deluded, trying to con you out of your money, or both.

And by "deluded," I do not mean "insane" or "not mentally competent." I mean that the individual believes in something for which there is no repeatably verifiable evidence for it's validity or truthfullnes.

Any forces exerted on you by the sun, the moon, or the planets is infinitesimally small compared to the same forces exerted on you by your keyboard, your desk, or even the change in your pocket.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
Any forces exerted on you by the sun, the moon, or the planets is infinitesimally small compared to the same forces exerted on you by your keyboard, your desk, or even the change in your pocket.

:lol: :lol: I think we need to make some compatibility charts based on those forces. :lol:

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:18 pm

Astrology has no basis in scientific fact. Even if it could be possible, the star charts they use are not accurate according to the present day location of the actual stars.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:19 pm

Its just that I fany this girl I know with the star sign aries and it made me a bit worried that our star signs are not compatible. Maybe I am just being paranoid :?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:22 pm

According to Astrology, The Missus and I are a terrible match. But here we are, married for 18 years and very much in love. Don't let beliefs like this influence you.

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 1:33 pm

Star signs CANNOT, ever, in a million years predict whether two people are compatible.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:47 pm

You never know about these kind of things. There might be some truth behind the star sign compatibility myth?

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 1:55 pm

Jamesy wrote:
You never know about these kind of things. There might be some truth behind the star sign compatibility myth?
Statistics go against it. And even if there was some sort of aura, pheromone, or something which was a result of star signs, the force produced by it would be so inferior it would simply be disregarded. Also taking in the fact that humans have evolved so much to the point that they would easily be able to resist such a force.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:59 pm

Jamesy wrote:

No truth at all. Don't let yourself be conned. Astrologers prey on people's hopes and anxieties, in that they find out what those hopes and anxieties are (in your case, they revolve around relationships, hair, and appearances), and then exploit that hope for their own personal gain or profit.

And YES, I do know, because I was once an astrologer, and thus learned how to cast horoscopes. A person's birthday is relevant only for determining their age, and thereby determining what the concerns of a person that age might be. Gender and social class are also important, as are ethnicity, marital status, and cultural origins.

Thus, I would cast one horoscope for a 20-year old white, upper-class, single male from Ireland; and quite another for a 20-year old black, middle-class, married female from Nigeria - even if they were born at the exact same time and location! Tailoring a horoscope to these actuarial values ensures that the horoscope is considered "accurate" by the client, and that the client will return for more horoscopes ... which means more of the client's money goes into the astrologer's pocket.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:24 pm

Fnord you read me like an open book. Those are only some of my worries, but sometimes I can't help it because of what I have - aspergers/semantic pragmanitc disorder.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:55 pm

Sure it is, I made it up.

And you a prefect customer for me.

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 3:17 pm

There was this thing Derren Brown did which explains horoscopes. He got a group of people together and claimed he could read their personalities from the outline of their hands (he could just as easily asked their star signs.) So he took the hand-pictures away and came back with an essay for everybody, decribe each persons character, their hopes and dreams and so on. They all were amazed, saying this describes me to tee, it's spooky, etc. etc.
They all had the same essay.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 3:43 pm

For Jamesy, a reading...

People close to you have been taking advantage of you. Your basic honesty has been getting in your way. Many opportunities that you have had offered to you in the past have had to be surrendered because you refuse to take advantage of others. You like to read books and articles to improve your mind. In fact, if you're not already in some sort of personal service business, you should be. You have an infinite capacity for understanding people's problems and you can sympathize with them. But you are firm when confronted with obstinacy or outright stupidity. Law enforcement would be another field you understand. Your sense of justice is quite strong.