Other religions aware of Judeo-Christian deity?

Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 9:18 pm

z0rp wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
have a litt le humor

I'll remember that.

In the mean-time, you can keep insulting me and my beliefs.

When were we insulting you? We were just discussing how if someone rose from the dead, they can qualify to be identified as a zombie. That's all.

Hmmm, let's see,

From answers.com:

A soulless body. In the Voodoo cult of Haiti, a zombi is the slave of a magician. The soul may have been removed by magic from a living person, or the body of someone recently deceased may have been brought up out of the grave after the soul had been separated from it by regular rites of death. As the lord of the dead, Ghede has the power to animate corpses as zombis.

- A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
- A corpse revived in this way.

One who looks or behaves like an automaton.

The word zombie refers to the ‘living dead’.

Sources indicate that the word is of African origin. The cadaver or spirit of a deceased person is called zumbi in the Bonda language, ndzumbi in Gabon, and nzambi in Kongo.

Someone who acts or responds in a mechanical or apathetic way (hmmm, some might say that's an aspie)

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 10:13 pm

Ragtime wrote:
I believe that so-called "soul sleep" is incorrect doctrine. For instance, notice that Jesus told the repentant thief on the cross next to him: "This day you will be with me in paradise." Not at the end of the world.

well, it depends on the denomination and their views about it, as for catholics, they take the dualist approach when it comes to the "soul", as for this particular view, it seems to fit well with nondualism.

I think the thief on the cross thing, might be taken as evidence, according to the belief, that when a person dies, inmediately or in the same day goes to heaven, I suppose hell as well for the infidels, but not sure about that. There are other verses however, that are used to support the 'soul sleep' belief, such as Ecclesiastes 9:5,6 ("the dead know nothing....") and John 11:11: ("Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.")

http://www.ude.net/bible/Spirits%20at%20Rest.html

Another issue is about what Jesus told him, which it is said to be a misinterpretation of the translation or a misinterpretation of what Jesus meant.

http://www.ude.net/bible/SR_Luke23.htm

Not sure but I think the 'soul sleep' belief might be held by jewish as well, if that's the case, it would seem to be a judeo-christian view about the afterlife as well, which would differ from many christians today.

Interesting to note in the Lazarus story is that the story itself seems to support this belief, he was dead for four days, by that time he would be in heaven, if so, why Jesus would took him away from paradise to return to earth?

chromanebula
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2017, 2:04 am

Khan_Sama wrote:
As a Baha'i, I believe that Heaven is closeness to God, and that Hell is distance from his mercy.

Peace.

As a Catholic Christian, I believe the same thing! The only people in hell are those who obstinately reject God's compassion and forgiveness. Yes, almost everybody has some purification to go through, but as long as you show a flicker of good will, your punishment will not be eternal.