Noticed any professional 'ignorance' about Asperger's?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 492

08 Jan 2009, 7:19 pm

pensieve wrote:
I gave my psychologist a list of possible AS symptoms I had, because I'm not good at speaking and I forget things easily, but she was really skeptic about doing the assessment and kept relating the symptoms back to anxiety.


That's what my psychiatrist said. I saw him and he said that I might be borderline, but it's not possible for me to have AS or autism because "I'm aware that I might have it." He said that, supposedly, that's far too much insight to my own behavior. I told him that I only repeated what my family said to me until I was four years old, and he told me that is not a speech delay. Um, I beg to differ. I tried to argue with him, and he acted like I wanted to be diagnosed with it like I'm some kind of hypochondriac.


_________________
"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."--Augusten Burroughs


Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 600
Location: New Zealand

08 Jan 2009, 7:33 pm

They've gotta make a living you know.



garyww
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,395
Location: Napa, California

08 Jan 2009, 7:36 pm

It's the 'borderline' and 'kinda' stuff that really sucks in the big bucks.


_________________
I am one of those people who your mother used to warn you about.


2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,191

08 Jan 2009, 8:00 pm

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:
They've gotta make a living you know.


YEP, they EVEN have a special name! Confidence men! Too many people find that lengthy, so they shorten it to conmen, fraud, or quack!



neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 405

08 Jan 2009, 8:02 pm

Eschatar wrote:
Does anyone here with an official diagnosis ever laugh hysterically. . .ever?


Of course. Whenever possible. It's the only way to get through life with any sanity.


_________________
Journeys with Autism: Reports from Life on the Spectrum
www.journeyswithautism.com


KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 405

08 Jan 2009, 8:08 pm

Sola wrote:
I have been going to a psychiatrist for many years, and then when I heard of Asperger's I asked to be assessed, and so I was assessed by a psychologist in the same office, because I believe that I am totally Asperger's. The psychologist's assessment was (his words paraphrased) you're not 'like the character *Rainman* enough to be autistic'....he told me he knew 'personally' and 'well' the doctor who treated the actual autistic individual that they profiled Rainman after, and he went on about *that* because it was a famous case and he was proud to be associated with it.......but as for me....all he would say is.....I'm not like 'Rainman' even though he said I may have autistic traits......he said it is like 'I am on the borderline' where I go back and forth, somehow....I DO NOT AGREE with him, and I think he clearly would not diagnose anyone as autistic if they were in the Asperger's category. I really felt at a loss as to HOW to get across to him, that my situation is NOT so 'mild' and unworthy of being called 'Asperger's'. So I just decided that maybe someday someone more knowledgeable might provide old me with an adequate diagnosis. But, really, the only difference it makes is this......It helps me VALIDATE ALL the personal problems and difficulties that over the years caused me so much pain to have learned about Asperger's and to see myself in a totally 'differen't' light....because I think I am Asperger's.


Maybe you should inform your psychiatrist to determine a diagnosis based on the criterion and not a movie. Seems to me that's where the mistake they made exists.



garyww
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,395
Location: Napa, California

08 Jan 2009, 8:13 pm

Come on now we all know that the movies are real don't we?


_________________
I am one of those people who your mother used to warn you about.


pandd
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,430

08 Jan 2009, 8:32 pm

Of course garyww. The real solution is to arrange for the 'professional' concerned to see Mozart and the Whale.



garyww
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,395
Location: Napa, California

08 Jan 2009, 8:37 pm

I thought they all already did that.


_________________
I am one of those people who your mother used to warn you about.


Sola
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 106

08 Jan 2009, 8:58 pm

You guys have been REALLY helpful, and given me a 'new', more confident vantage point. I am grateful for your shared insights....I might write my psychiatrist a letter, explaining some of the reasons why I don't agree with his co-worker, the psychologist's opinion.......it does seem strange, but I've had 'diagnosis problems' before, back when I had to diagnose my daughter with Rett Syndrome, once again....the doctors couldn't 'see it'....and then I realized, as some of you imply.......that if you don't LIVE IT....intimately....you wouldn't, even as a psychologist, be capable of making a definititive diagnosis. I had to self diagnose yet another time.....but it took ten years of no doctor EVER 'seeing' my problem. I had to suggest it to them......and before I reached one who believed me, the one before him told me I wasn't in real pain while I was in the middle of a full blown gall bladder attack which lasted for days. The health care tech that did my sonogram when I finally got diagnosed....said she had never seen so many stones so packed. I went through attacks for years because no doctor paid attention. I wonder if it is because of my Asperger's that my doctor didn't find it.....I almost feel like she thinks I'm a nutcase, and like everything that would go wrong with me is 'in my head'....so she didn't give it a serious study. Thank-You for your reinforcing comments......I like the way people think on *this* planet.

Sola



Abstract_Logic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 493

08 Jan 2009, 9:12 pm

When I first proposed that I have Asperger's, my psychiatrist told me that Autistics don't crave friendship, whereas I do. Autistic individuals may usually not care for friendship, but Aspies generally want close companionship, we just have a hard time getting it. I didn't get into a debate with him, but he respected my decision and set me up with an appointment to see an AS specialist who can give me a diagnosis.



unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 355

08 Jan 2009, 9:33 pm

I have said this before in another thread but, this sort of professional ignorance is beginning to disgust me. I don't always trust someone like a psychologist who does it as a job and definitely who bases things off of a movie.

The best psychologist in my mind is someone who takes time to get inside people's heads or try to see how people feel from their point of view. To diagnose something, you need to more where or with the thing you are diagnosing.

If you are true to your self, and are not afraid of being diagnosed with even something undesirable or "bad", and it is not for personal gain or to make people feel sorry for you and you see it from every angle, then the best person to diagnose you is you.



unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 355

08 Jan 2009, 9:47 pm

Abstract_Logic wrote:
When I first proposed that I have Asperger's, my psychiatrist told me that Autistics don't crave friendship, whereas I do. Autistic individuals may usually not care for friendship, but Aspies generally want close companionship, we just have a hard time getting it. I didn't get into a debate with him, but he respected my decision and set me up with an appointment to see an AS specialist who can give me a diagnosis.


Your desire is to have friends, your action is you try to talk to people but you might not which is the result of nervousness. The appearance of not wanting friends.

Don't is an action or a lack there of, and actions have an appearance to one person, but the appearance is not the same as the original desire.


I hate the kind of psychiatrist or person in general that look only at the appearance of something, but not why or the spark of it.

I also don't like the kind of psychiatrist or psychologist that only absorbs what you say writes it down and then compares what you say to a checklist, but they don't actually try to understand what you say.



KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 405

08 Jan 2009, 9:58 pm

unreal3x wrote:
The best psychologist in my mind is someone who takes time to get inside people's heads or try to see how people feel from their point of view. To diagnose something, you need to more where or with the thing you are diagnosing.


Mine did. I had to fill out questionnaires as did my wife and my parents. Additionally, I had several visits and my wife came in before she made the diagnosis. Additionally, she disputed the necessity of my previous ADD diagnosis as well as any need for medication. Paraphrasing, this is what she told me:

You have a gift. While ADD is something applicable to you, it is the least of your issues. Your issue is primarily with thinking and I could give you medication for ADD, and technically I would be right; however, being that isn't the major concern I wouldn't be doing my job properly.

I was pleased that she wasn't rearing to shove meds down my throat, as the previous doctor barely even looked at me for the diagnosis of ADD and handed me some medication for it and that was that.



Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2008
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 850
Location: New Jersey, USA

08 Jan 2009, 10:04 pm

The psychiatrist I went to said I didn't have Asperger's because I looked at him in the eye. He also admitted to not knowing much about Asperger's. I found a psychologist that knew about Asperger's and was diagnosed by him.


_________________
"Everything was fine until I woke up."

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude


pandd
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,430

08 Jan 2009, 10:26 pm

Maditude wrote:
The psychiatrist I went to said I didn't have Asperger's because I looked at him in the eye.

I had the exact same problem, which is silly given that the DSM refers to eye-contact issues as a possible manifestation of an item not all people with the condition will meet. So some people with AS do not manifest this symptom, some manifest it without manifesting problems with eye-contact, and of that sub-set of persons with AS manifesting this symptom with eye-contact issues, only a sub-set of them have aversion issues (some for instance have fixed gaze issues).

Further, children who very strongly manifest this problem (as I did) might have made considerable adaptive advances in this area by adult-hood.