Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:46 am

pakled wrote:
I have a photographic memory, but I keep leaving the lens cap on...;)

Probably the funniest thing i've read in a while :)

Also got a good photographic memory. I just have to remember to "take a piccy" sometimes, and other times it goes automatic.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:56 am

:P

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2010, 5:05 pm

Sora wrote:
I found that the more your ability of instant and long-term accurate memorisation moves away from a regular memory and comes closer to what's commonly called 'perfect memory', the less able you are to participate in society.

This is so true.

CosmicCowboy wrote:
I am a walking camcorder.
(sigh of horribly deep passionate filled pain; long pause at keyboard)...
less than 10 days ago, I thought everyone had same kind of memory only some where lazy thinkers.
(another pause)
Yes, eidetic, instant recall on purpose, and then also, when ever and whatever it feels like.

Yes, very similar to your experience, but without the visuals.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2010, 5:15 pm

mgran wrote:
I don't know what it's called, but I have an auditory version of a photographic memory.

Yes, what do you call an eidetic memory without pictures.
I have the auditory, as a literal recording, like music, plus the whole sensory experience, smells, taste, physical sensation, temperature, but I don't see internal images - even though I can describe some visuals, there is no photographic detail.

It's as if my visual memory is a 3-D wireframe 'scene' locator, which I can physically feel, rather than see, and then the visual details are almost textual, what is recalled is perfect, but it isn't everything that was there.

But I don't have automatic recall any more. In some ways I miss it, in others it is a great relief. I am no longer Commander Data who can't shut up, who points out other people's memory deficiencies, who can recite verbatim to people their words from months or years earlier, with every word, tone, inflection, pause for breathe. I don't have every fact at my disposal in the way I used to, but neither am I obliged to be a slave to it either.

Sometimes I wonder if my brain actually got 'full', but the truth is that after some really horrible times, I had dreadful PTSD flashbacks and in order to not have to live within perfect recall of every nasty little detail, somehow I figured out how to 'break' my memory, by overriding the replay, but have to put up with the fact that now it also happens when I don't want it to.

Now I can pick up a book, open it at random, read a paragraph and know that even though I've read it before, I can do so again. In the past, even if I had read the book twenty years previously, I would get instant recall of the entire process of reading it, the whole story, every thought and conclusion I had had while reading, the whole sensation of the experience, to the extent that I just couldn't reread anything, there was no point. The same with movies - I didn't need to rewatch anything, thirty seconds brought every detail back - where I was, who was there, everything, not just the film.

The only thing I could ever stand to have repeated was music - it's different, although I don't know why. So although it's in my head, I still like to hear the real thing, and always did.

Now I can revisit old favourite media, and enjoy it again. I quite like that.
And everyone I ever met got spooked by my "please don't do that mind thing you do, it really freaks me out, what are you some kind of robot" memory - now it only happens occasionally. :)

I don't know if any of that makes sense to anyone else, but sometimes I feel that if I could be plugged into a holographic suite I could recreate everything I have every experienced, in every little detail, simultaneously.
So I call it eidetic. :?:

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 5:50 pm

I think I do have a photographic memory, I can for some strange reason remember so many people's faces, even if I talked to them only once. :lol: (what confuses me is the ones that looks very a like). :lol:

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 5:56 pm

I want mindreading machine. Yeah, we can WANT!

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 6:17 pm

superboyian wrote:
I can for some strange reason remember so many people's faces, even if I talked to them only once. :lol: (what confuses me is the ones that looks very a like). :lol:

Honest question: Does that happen more with whites? I grew up in a rural, all-white community, and later on it took me quite a while to begin recognizing and remembering unfamiliar facial features belonging to specific people.

CosmicCowboy wrote:
in one aspect it is awe-some, and if it fit with societies needs, or if they made respectable use of me, it would be rewarding.

I was fortunate in finding jobs in places where companies were just big enough to need a versatile fabricator but not big enough to have plant engineers.