Curvy Women? Autism? How could they be possibly related?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 8:56 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... utism.html

Quote:
Men who don't find curvy women attractive 'could father children with autism'

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 6:11 PM on 08th January 2009

* Comments (0)
* Add to My Stories

Men who do not find the shape of the curvier woman most attractive could be more likely to father children with autism, according to a study.

Researchers showed 100 men with autistic children pictures of curvy women, women with athletic frames and more rounded women and found that they do not have a preference on which figure they find more attractive.

The new research from the University of Bath suggests that fathers of autistic children do not share the preference of men across the world for the curvier woman.

Studies show that the waist-to-hip ratio of 70 per cent is what the majority of men find most attractive because it correlates strongly with good health and fertility.
autism

Genetic influences and high-testosterone levels during a baby's development in the womb have been linked to autism (file picture)

Women within this range tend to have optimal levels of oestrogen and are less susceptible to major diseases.

However women whose ratio shows their waist is bigger than their hips, or vice versa, tend to have higher levels of testosterone.

Testosterone encourages fat to deposit on the waist while oestrogen encourages fat to deposit on the hips.

Dr Mark Brosnan and Dr Ian Walker from the university's Department of Psychology found that as a group the fathers of autistic children didn't all go for the same figure as their most attractive choice.

Genetic influences and high-testosterone levels during a baby's development in the womb have been linked to autism.

Dr Brosnan said he hopes the research will increase understanding of the causes of the condition.

'Autism is widely regarded to have genetic origins which may combine with hormonal influences', he said.

'We wanted to investigate the mechanisms by which these genes come together in a parental pairing, whether it is by chance or if it could be due to different preferences in choosing a mate - so-called assortative mating.

'This study raises some interesting questions about how the person we are attracted to could impact on our offspring.'

Dr Brosnan said they are now contacting mothers of autistic children to determine whether body shape is a factor in autism.

'We'd like to include mothers to examine what body shapes both parents of children with autism perceive to be attractive.

'The next phase will then be to assess the actual dimensions of parents of children with autism.'

The study is the first of its kind and is published this month in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorder.

More interestingly - why on earth would anyone fund this research?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 9:34 pm

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence....

Sounds like a preliminary study to me.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 9:46 pm

I have problems with this study. I have five siblings (three older and two younger). I am the only one with Autism.

And why is it always the man's fault? Let's assume for a minute that it's valid. If a woman is not "curvy", then could be a hormonal issue on her part? I am not saying it is, but I am tired of every study that involves non-NT children being the man's fault.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:07 pm

This is total BS.

My dad is most likely an Aspie. His mother was curvy. His sister is an NT.

My dad preferred curvy women. My mother is curvy. I am most likely an Aspie and my brother is an NT.

I'm curvy.

Now where does that fit into their goofy study?

Also, their sample was ridiculously small. And where was their control group? Did they test the men to see if they were autistic themselves? (That could account for a lack of preference/inability to communicate a preference.)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:18 pm

So ... if I read it right, any man that likes women that look like boys is going to have kids with an ASD ...

Yeah ... right ... I'm gonna take a big leap of guesswork here and suggest that someone involved in writing the report may have been a "full-figured" woman who can not get a date. :wink:

(Does this win the Snark Award for "Most Asinine Response to a Controversial Post"?)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:19 pm

CelticRose wrote:
This is total BS.

My dad is most likely an Aspie. His mother was curvy. His sister is an NT.

My dad preferred curvy women. My mother is curvy. I am most likely an Aspie and my brother is an NT.

I'm curvy.

Now where does that fit into their goofy study?

Also, their sample was ridiculously small. And where was their control group? Did they test the men to see if they were autistic themselves? (That could account for a lack of preference/inability to communicate a preference.)

Yeah. My mother is very curvy, and was at the time he met my father. The article doesn't say whether the men studied were NT's, on the spectrum, or a mixture of both though, which i think would be more important. My Dad is an aspie.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:21 pm

Hmnn my mom is curvy, I am an Aspie (Or something much crazier and odder) and my brother is NT.

Hmnnn.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
So ... if I read it right, any man that likes women that look like boys is going to have kids with an ASD ...

Yeah ... right ... I'm gonna take a big leap of guesswork here and suggest that someone involved in writing the report may have been a "full-figured" woman who can not get a date. :wink:

(Does this win the Snark Award for "Most Asinine Response to a Controversial Post"?)

This study deserved a response like that. :wink:

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:56 pm

CelticRose wrote:
Fnord wrote:

This study deserved a response like that. :wink:

Thanx!

I tried to make my response as caustic as possible without actually invoking a warning from any of those who wield the banhammer.

It's really beginning to get to me that whenever someone finds some behavior or activity objectionable, they'll try to connect it with ASDs or some other little-understood phenomenon. Sorta like back in the 1980s, when everything from adultery to drug abuse to hedonism to murder to satanism to suicide and beyond was somehow "caused" by playing Dungeons & Dragons. :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 12:53 am

Is this the same Dr. Brosnan in those annoying ads?

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2009, 1:14 am

1) Men who have autistic children are more likely to be people with autistic traits themselves, than the general population. (I have no data for this, it just seems probable to me given the genetic aspect)

2) Aspies and others on the autistic spectrum are less likely to hew to the NT standard regarding sex roles and stereotypes. (I have observed this)

3) Duh.

:)

(And I saw somewhere recently that the hip-waist proportion mentioned is only preferred in societies where survival is not much of a challenge. Apparently, societies where a strong, capable individual is needed to assure survival of the family, there is much more preference for women with a straighter middle; the testosterone levels that cause that also are good for a tough, capable mother of children who can handle a crisis.)

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 1:42 am

Polgara wrote:
1) Men who have autistic children are more likely to be people with autistic traits themselves, than the general population. (I have no data for this, it just seems probable to me given the genetic aspect)

From what I've read, the evidence does suggest a high degree of heritability. Dr. Atwood suggests (as I remember it from my reading a year ago) that most aspies (and I presume auties) probably have others in their immediate family, and usually at least one parent. But it could be from either.

Dionysus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2009, 2:00 am

"Researchers showed 100 men with autistic children pictures of curvy women, women with athletic frames and more rounded women and found that they do not have a preference on which figure they find more attractive. "

Someone feel free to correct me on this if my logic is faulty but it seems to me that to draw the conclusion that Men who don't like curves are more likely to father Autistics than men who do then the scientists should have started with a sample of men who don't like curves and checked if there was a higher incidence of AS disorders among their children.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 2:34 am

Dionysus wrote:
Someone feel free to correct me on this if my logic is faulty but it seems to me that to draw the conclusion that Men who don't like curves are more likely to father Autistics than men who do then the scientists should have started with a sample of men who don't like curves and checked if there was a higher incidence of AS disorders among their children.

You're right, they should have included a control. Instead they used the established average.

Quote:
The new research from the University of Bath suggests that fathers of autistic children do not share the preference of men across the world for the curvier woman.

DeanFoley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2009, 4:37 pm

It's not that hard to believe.

I mean, physical attractiveness in the general sense does indicate a higher chance of a healthy baby, so...well, if a male picks a woman who is not generally considered attractive, he has a higher chance of fathering a child with a mental disorder.

Now, I must go before the mob descends upon me for calling autism a mental disorder and not the ultimate genetic step.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:58 pm

Fnord wrote:

ROFL - Apparently. It does mean we should be less scared of Autism research though; what a joke.