PETA's campaign to rename fish 'sea kittens'

Page 6 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2009, 6:12 am

some of these political groups are just plain crazy and silly.

roboboy430
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2009, 4:54 pm

this is what i think PETA should stand for People for the Eating of Tasty Animals :twisted:

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 6:08 am

Chibi_Neko wrote:
You gotta read this one for yourself....

Source

Quote:
A CAMPAIGN to rename fish as "sea kittens" in order to improve their image has been ridiculed by the Federal Opposition.
Outspoken animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is using the "sea kitten" name as part of its push to restrict fishing.

"Nobody would hurt a sea kitten!" the group says on its website.

"People don't seem to like fish.

"We're going to start by retiring the old name for good.

"When your name can also be used as a verb that means driving a hook through your head, it's time for a serious image makeover."

The website features images of fish with cats' whiskers and ears.

PETA is using the campaign to entice people to sign a petition calling on the US Fish and Wildlife Service to stop promoting "the hunting of sea kittens (otherwise known as fishing)".

Opposition fisheries spokesman John Cobb was not impressed with the campaign, nor with PETA.

PETA has offended some in Australia with is high-profile campaign against mulesing, the practice of cutting away the skin from a sheep's rear to prevent flystrike.

Mr Cobb said the group had little credibility.

"It is hard to take an organisation which wants to change the name of fish seriously," he said.

Many people might laugh at the sea kitten campaign, Mr Cobb said, but PETA's agenda was actually more sinister: destroying the meat and fish industries.

PETA has convinced a number of large companies to boycott Australian wool which comes from mulesed flocks.

The group argues mulesing is cruel and there are better ways to prevent flystrike.

This is for real too, you should see their website.

yum..sea kittens

they should go to countries where they eat cat. They would not care about sea kittens. sorry for cat owners I had to mention it. In india cattle are seen as sacred and treted the way cats and dog are here.

I will mention as well that in native american culture although they ate meat they were respectful of the naimals so I would consider this approach ethnocentric as well.

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

Last edited by matsuiny2004 on 22 Jan 2009, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 6:11 am

roboboy430 wrote:
this is what i think PETA should stand for People for the Eating of Tasty Animals :twisted:

been done :)

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 9:10 am

matsuiny2004 wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:
yum..sea kittens

they should go to countries where they eat cat. They would not care about sea kittens. sorry for cat owners I had to mention it. In india cattle are seen as sacred and treted the way cats and dog are here.

I will mention as well that in native american culture although they ate meat they were respectful of the naimals so I would consider this approach ethnocentric as well.

don't native americans also use every part of the animal and not just the meat? i think that's more respectfull than not eating animals in the first place.

i once met a vegetarian girl who didn't eat meat becaue of principals quite linear to PETA, i asked her if she would eat a bag of mincemeat and she said no even if a law was introduced after it was made to prevent animals being used as food. in other words she was willing to let the animals death be in vain, if any animal or human dies it should be for a reason, and what better reason that to keep us alive and healthy?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 5:10 am

and kittens...land fish!