Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:39 pm

Post something you've learned (the hard way) that must NEVER be done with NTs. Hopefully, we'll create a pool for others to benefit from before they learn the hard way too. :)

I'll go first:

NEVER EVER go along in criticizing the person whom the NT is criticizing, if the person is a relative, a very close friend of theirs or a spouse/romantic partner. At some point they'll make up and YOU will remain the bad guy who criticized their loved one.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:56 pm

Always consider how what you say will effect other people emotionally. i.e. if it can be perceived as harsh. One way to do this, is to visualize yourself saying it to yourself in your mind. That is, imagine you are looking at yourself on a movie screen and watching yourself socialize, seeing it through their eyes.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:58 pm

Greentea wrote:

NEVER EVER go along in criticizing the person whom the NT is criticizing, if the person is a relative, a very close friend of theirs or a spouse/romantic partner. At some point they'll make up and YOU will remain the bad guy who criticized their loved one.

Good advice, yeah, sometimes there's a "that's only ok if I say it" thing with some people. Only problem is, what if they are criticising someone and expect you to back them up?

y es como un semestre"

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:59 pm

Don't try to be something you are not. You can try to approach that something, but remain yourself.

Also, don't ever ever ever talk to someone you barely know when you are not emotionally stable, it tends to make you do things that you will later regret.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:08 pm

A big No-no is expressing any type of 'negative' opinion if such has not been asked for. And even if it has..

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:09 pm

Some very good advice on here already!!

gina, you have to learn the art of backing them up while remaining non-judgemental of their loved one. Things like: "Yes, that was an unfortunate comment he made to you.", "I can certainly understand why you're hurt, he shouldn't have done that." NEVER: "You're right, he really sounds like a jerk."

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:10 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
A big No-no is expressing any type of 'negative' opinion if such has not been asked for. And even if it has..

So VERY, VERY TRUE!! !! ! And I learned this so VERY, VERY much the hard way!! !

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:21 pm

Greentea wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:

So VERY, VERY TRUE!! !! ! And I learned this so VERY, VERY much the hard way!! !

I still haven't learned it, entirely :lol:
I am still doing that thing from your last thread 'sharing information' and pissing people off.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:27 pm

mitharatowen wrote:

This one time, the head of Year 9 at school came up with this "learning passport" reward scheme, and asked for our opinions on it, so I pointed out that the name is exceedingly patronising, and also that we're thirteen years old and no longer expect to receive stickers as rewards. She didn't seem too happy. And I was just thinking, well, why ask if you didn't wanna know?

y es como un semestre"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:32 pm

Another big no-no: Asking for what you want instead of waiting for it to be offered.

By asking an NT for something, you short-circuit their opportunity to look gracious and kind, and instead place them in an awkward position of maybe saying "No" to someone who said "Please."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
Another big no-no: Asking for what you want instead of waiting for it to be offered.

By asking an NT for something, you short-circuit their opportunity to look gracious and kind, and instead place them in an awkward position of maybe saying "No" to someone who said "Please."

You know, I actually got the opposite from my grandpa a couple of years ago. I didn't want to be like 'what's for breakfast?' and I really didn't care one way or the other if I ate or not so I'd just sit down at the table and talk to my grandma and she'd offer me some bread and I'd say 'ok' and my grandpa was saying that I expect everyone to wait on me and I won't do anything for myself :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:42 pm

Come to think of it, Mithara ... no matter what you do, some NT is going to find something wrong with it. The same people that criticised me for not saying "Please" or "Thank You" later criticised me for "Begging" and "Kissing Up" when I remembered to use manners.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:47 pm

Using proper manners and ettiquite seems to be a big no-no with NT's these days for I get criticized about doing that a lot. Using gutter slang and disrespectful behavior is apparently the proper way to do things. So I go out of my way to be really polite just to piss people off even more. Being educated and intelligent seems to be another taboo amongst NT's.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:52 pm

Which reminds me... NEVER let it show that you're deep inside your thoughts; NTs distrust anyone who engages in deep thinking/analysis outside of their profession/studies.

And whatever happens and come what may, remember to NEVER EVER admit to not having nor intending to buy a TV.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:54 pm

Metal_Man wrote:
Using proper manners and ettiquite seems to be a big no-no with NT's these days for I get criticized about doing that a lot. Using gutter slang and disrespectful behavior is apparently the proper way to do things. So I go out of my way to be really polite just to piss people off even more. Being educated and intelligent seems to be another taboo amongst NT's.

I get criticised for "being too careful with things". People have said I treat my pencil case like the crown jewels, LOL. That's cos I like to have my planner, books, and writing stuff neatly at the front of my desk in that order (planner at the bottom). But most people have it books, planner, writing stuff just thrown haphazardly on the desk. But truthfully, I fail to see how it's anyone else's business.

y es como un semestre"

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2009, 6:11 pm

Providing unwanted information--what my coworker and friend calls, "raining on people's parade."

For example: Just yesterday him and another fellow asked me if I could create iphone applications and I told them most likely if I had a developer suite or some such. Anyway, they had this idea to sell an iphone app for one dollar. It basically was a graphical method for keeping tract of how many containers of water you drank each day. The idea was that you hear you should drink 8 glasses of water a day and that sometimes one might forget how many and a simple application that stores that information for the day would be useful and worth $1.

Well, apparently it is raining on someone's parade to inform them that drinking 8 glasses of water has never been proven to do anything for one's health.

Given the wide array of general knowledge I have, this is something I am notorious for doing.