Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:07 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
princesseli wrote:
Huge no no: Never admit to wanting to commit suicide unless you want to land yourself in the hopital. Cause trust me, people really dont want to hear that, even if they supposidly care about you. So if you dont want to check yourself into a hospital, keep it to yourself.

Very true! I'm actually not sure why this is but it seems that to a normal person, any thought of suicide whatsoever = insanity.

I guess I'm pretty insane because I'm not afraid to die...

I am not afraid of dying per se, but I would not let myself die without a valid reason. One of my favoutite quotes: "I would gladly die for that in which I believe, for who am I without my deepest beliefs and desires?" --- myself.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:52 pm

Do not argue with your boss, ever, especially if you are correct.

If you share a piece of knowledge, don't expect most people to presume that you did so because you thought they might find it interesting. Instead, expect them to get mad at you for "showing off".

(Many people are very insecure, it seems... )

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2009, 11:12 pm

Wow, I've already broken most of the rules that were posted here the hard way. :O

I suppose I should also add a rule I've learned from personal experience:

Never attempt to shut down a conversation or you will be seen as very rude.

Shutting down a conversation is defined as giving extremely indecisive answers (such as "I don't know") in response to questions that are asked of you and responding with "Ok" when others express opinions/thoughts that you don't necessarily care about.

I thought that this was a polite way to get someone to leave me alone, but I can see why it made people angry after reading that thread titled "NT's do things with their conversations". By that same principle, rejecting the questions of others must be the same as rejecting the person asking them.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2009, 11:23 pm

Looking at any one person too long and saying nothing is a no-no. They assume that you are insulting them for some reason.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:27 pm

ZakFiend wrote:
Always consider how what you say will effect other people emotionally. i.e. if it can be perceived as harsh. One way to do this, is to visualize yourself saying it to yourself in your mind. That is, imagine you are looking at yourself on a movie screen and watching yourself socialize, seeing it through their eyes.

Also consider how you say things, and is it really worth it.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:29 pm

FrogGirl wrote:
Looking at any one person too long and saying nothing is a no-no. They assume that you are insulting them for some reason.

Also they may freak out about it. They may also think you are angry with them.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2009, 11:31 pm

When others are expecting you to say something, but you have nothing intelligent to say, find a way to excuse yourself from the conversation rather than saying something stupid.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:32 pm

Metal_Man wrote:
Using proper manners and ettiquite seems to be a big no-no with NT's these days for I get criticized about doing that a lot. Using gutter slang and disrespectful behavior is apparently the proper way to do things. So I go out of my way to be really polite just to piss people off even more. Being educated and intelligent seems to be another taboo amongst NT's.

I am sorry that has happened to you. I was taught that manners open doors.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2009, 11:39 pm

preludeman wrote:
Metal_Man wrote:
Using proper manners and ettiquite seems to be a big no-no with NT's these days for I get criticized about doing that a lot. Using gutter slang and disrespectful behavior is apparently the proper way to do things. So I go out of my way to be really polite just to piss people off even more. Being educated and intelligent seems to be another taboo amongst NT's.

I am sorry that has happened to you. I was taught that manners open doors.

I once got hired at a job because I came in and introduced myself, and extended my hand to shake hands with the supervisor(we shook hands). I guess he was a little shocked, but impressed at my manners, and politeness, or something. I was hired immediately. I didn't last very long because of my anxiety got in my way.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2009, 12:05 am

My nugget of wisdom for this thread. When someone tells you something bad happened to them, tell them something like "I'm sorry that happened to you" rather than just "I'm sorry." People always reply with "It's not your fault" if you just say "I'm sorry." Then you have to do the awkward backtracking of your meaning, and then it hardly matters anymore.

Greentea wrote:
NEVER let it show that you're deep inside your thoughts; NTs distrust anyone who engages in deep thinking/analysis outside of their profession/studies.

I never knew this. I always understood that people tend to be rather exasperated by deep thinkers, but I don't understand why they would be distrustful.

Blows my mind, to say the least.

Greentea wrote:
NEVER EVER admit to not having nor intending to buy a TV

My NT roommate and I don't have a TV. We don't miss having one. However, whenever anyone comes into our room, they always act like they would die instantly if they did not possess a personal television. I thought that was just because I went to a university filled with generally rich kids, but maybe it's universal.

princesseli wrote:
Dont go too much offtopic when having a conversation, keep most random thoughts to yourself.

I dont know if Im the only person in a conversation: will bring up tons of random thoughts thinking they are connected, but they really arent and all my NT friends think im random as hell.

I have that problem too. To me, it's obviously related to the topic. To whomever I'm speaking with, however, it's rather random.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 2:35 am

Greentea wrote:
Post something you've learned (the hard way) that must NEVER be done with NTs. Hopefully, we'll create a pool for others to benefit from before they learn the hard way too. :)

I'll go first:

NEVER EVER go along in criticizing the person whom the NT is criticizing, if the person is a relative, a very close friend of theirs or a spouse/romantic partner. At some point they'll make up and YOU will remain the bad guy who criticized their loved one.

This is all well and nice, but what do you do in the mean time? "So and so is such a b***h, blah blah blah..."-coworker "...(silent pause)..."-me. This is one thing that used to really bug me, the fact that people would constantly back bite, words mean nothing and everything at the same time... Staying positive, keeping a neutral stance on a disagreement is impossible. You have to agree, or come up with some clever string of words that play this problem away.

NO-NO:

Being silent in a group. Either there is something "wrong," or you will be taken as being a shifty fellow.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:58 am

Saying anything negative is a no-no. But ironically smiling or being overly positive seems a no-no too. Other things not to do: farting, scratching, clearing throat, sniffling nose, blowing or wiping nose, taking medicine in front of people, picking scabs or boogers, not tipping high enough even if the waiter was bad, asking people to repeat themselves and saying "bless you" after a person sneezes as that's now considered bad since so many people are atheists these days. Even saying "Sorry I don't speak Spanish" has gotten me into trouble.

Barce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2009, 6:00 am

- Saying what you think of a male friend's mum.
- Saying thank you too much.
- Shaking someones hand too aggresively. (makes it look like a display of power/threat)
- Giving a girl too much eye contact in attempt to try to look confident.
- Standing next to two people. Talking to one person and leaving out the other.
- Taking things seriously (always assume people are joking and being unreal . . . just to be safe)
- Walking, head down to the ground.
- Laughing to yourself.
- Talking to yourself.
- Counting with fingers.
- Not wearing deodorant.
- Black shoes, white socks. (apparently . . . lol)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:34 am

JR, you asked: "what do you do in the mean time?" I posted the answer to that above, a few posts after my initial one.

Big NO-NO:

Don't EVER tell someone above you in the formal or the informal pecking order that you're angry / hurt at them. You're expected to backstab them, or hurt someone below you instead.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:40 am

Barce wrote:
- Laughing to yourself.

I got in trouble for that once, cos I was emailing my friend, then my mum was there telling some boring story about her ex who now just wants to be friends, so when my friend emailed back, I glanced at the screen and couldn't help smiling a bit cos what he said was funny. So Mum tells me off. And before that, she'd been telling some version of the same story, and I almost said something which I thought was funny but I knew she wouldn't have, so I kept it in my head, but I couldn't help smiling. I may as well have just SAID it.

y es como un semestre"

Barce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2009, 6:49 am

^ Yeah haha that happens alot too. If she does happen to take notice and is offended, i would probably just be up front and honest about it though. Its always a wierd situation though.