The majority of people don't think for themselves...

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 12:29 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
it horrifies me...a society of conformists, who must always put things into little neat boxes, man, woman, black, white, jew, terrorist, gay, weird...a group blindly following arbitrary traditions and roles, without questioning them one little bit...a herd of sheep, stupidly buying whatever new fad is being marketed in the mass media...a tone deaf group of humans, purchasing whatever faff is played to them a million times on radio stations funded by record companys, and watching in delight as an art-deprived reality-tv karaoke contest takes centre stage...a plastic, culturally devoid pit of consumerism...a celebrity obsessed bitching-contest that puts people on glowing icy pedestals, only to chip away at them with their bitter chisels...a society where the intelligent and resourceful are mocked as geeks and terminally uncool, only to be r*ped for their scientific discoveries and benefits years later, whilst the untalented yet socially adept charmers work their way up to the top of the stinking, filthy pile of bodies...

so...here i stand, the misanthope, am i being too harsh on western culture? possibly, the only thing i can be sure of is that i'm glad that my mirror neurons are not fully developed, lest i become a 2-dimensional character within a poorly written best-seller.

alex x

I couldn't agree more with this post.

My mum's been recently telling me I need to conform, which I think is utterly stupid.

All these people who we're meant to act like... Exactly what's so great about them? Even the ones who happen to have the high-paying jobs haven't really achieved anything. More often than not, they've done the exact same damn thing that everyone else in our culture does - get a job, get married, have kids, and buy a house. Well done for doing the exact same thing everyone else does, do you want a f**king medal now?

Why the hell does society insist that we give up on our dreams and live a clone of someone else's life? No, I won't do that. And I should hope you reading this, no matter who you are, don't either. All the great people who've done the amazing things were NOT normal, and they did NOT conform. Einstein, Van Gough, Bill Gates... You name it. Entrepreneurs and artists, innovators and musicians. They didn't get were they did by acting just like all the other idiots.

Dilbert wrote:
falcorn wrote:
Metal_Man wrote:
You nailed it right bween the eyes and it is exactly why our economy is crashing. People foolishly bought into the idea that buying crap and lots of it with money they didn't have was the key to happiness. Sooner or later you have to pay the piper and we are paying dearly for that stupidity.

that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard

You need to take an economy class, kid, because he's correct.

To the OP, yes you are 100% right.

Yes, and there's someone called Micheal Burry who actually made almost a billion dollars off of betting against that rubbish. He's an Aspie.

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2010, 1:10 pm

I was arguing with a man who was at least 40 the other day about drugs. He couldn't seem to comprehend the idea of drugs being tools and like any tool, whether its good or bad depends entirely on how its used. Ironically he told me that I see things as black and white. Ironic because he was arguing that drugs (excluding clinically used ones) are just plain bad and no good can come from them. Mind altering substances is a controversial subject and its one of my favourite ways to test if someone is a free thinker or not. If they parrot off the same BS spewed out by the media on a near daily basis then I can see they have at least partially allowed others to dictate what they think.