Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2005, 11:55 pm

Did you guys know that more Christians are killed nowadays than were killed during the Roman Empire? Has anyone heard about PrisonerAlert.com? There is a section where one can write letters to Christian prisoners in various countries where they are being persecuted and it will be translated into thier native language.
On a personal note, do any Christian Aspies sometimes feel that they are outsiders from the autistic community as well as the rest of the world? I mean, personally I would leave the organisation running for helping Aspies to others who are more qualified, I just want to help in my own way, by helping those with it here in the States, possibly other countries and by doing so, to show the love of Christ to others. (Hopes he does not get flamed for this)

PS Sorry for the rather disjointed nature of the post, but with finals and a paper I'm writing this is how my brain is working right now.

Yakko: We'd love to stay here and count our brain cells as they die one-by-one.
Dot: But we can't.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 8:06 am

I often feel like that, too...I think it's easy to feel that way when you're part of such a minority(christian) within a minority(aspie)

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 11:44 am

Quote:
Did you guys know that more Christians are killed nowadays than were killed during the Roman Empire?

Is this some kind of oxymoron? Of course thats the case the world is now filled with several billion people and the majority of them are a various denomination of christianity :lol:

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 2:09 pm

Laz wrote:
Quote:
Did you guys know that more Christians are killed nowadays than were killed during the Roman Empire?

Is this some kind of oxymoron? Of course thats the case the world is now filled with several billion people and the majority of them are a various denomination of christianity :lol:

Ummm no I think majority of the people living now would be Hindu or Buddist and you would be amazed at how many Christians die for their faith in certain parts of the world (just watch Tears of the Sun, yes its fiction but its not that fiction.)

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 3:37 pm

Christianity is the largest religion in the world with over 2 billion followers. The next largest is Islam with about 1 billion followers. Christians are definitely NOT a minority, and it's almost ridiculous for anyone to claim that they are.

To see how world religions rank by the number of followers click here.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 3:43 pm

Bec wrote:
Christianity is the largest religion in the world with over 2 billion followers. The next largest is Islam with about 1 billion followers. Christians are definitely NOT a minority, and it's almost ridiculous for anyone to claim that they are.

If you go by practicing Christians as opposed to people who claim they are Christian, the number is probably around 200 million.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 4:11 pm

Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:

If you go by practicing Christians as opposed to people who claim they are Christian, the number is probably around 200 million.

A lot of chirstians in the developing world are committed chirstians, not just saying they are christians. An estimate of 1 to 1.5 billion practicising christians is fairly accurate estimate.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2005, 4:16 pm

Bec wrote:

Actually Christians always have been a minority and always will be. In all churches there are those who are saved and those that treat it more as a country club thing. There has always been a believing remnant, usually despite 'religion' rather than because of it

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 4:22 pm

Grievous wrote:
Actually Christians always have been a minority and always will be. In all churches there are those who are saved and those that treat it more as a country club thing. There has always been a believing remnant, usually despite 'religion' rather than because of it

You didn't read newchum's post, did you?

newchum wrote:
A lot of chirstians in the developing world are committed chirstians, not just saying they are christians. An estimate of 1 to 1.5 billion practicising christians is fairly accurate estimate.

It's still the largest religion.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2005, 4:41 pm

That still does not seperate those that have a personal relationship with Christ to those that just go to church to get along. Just because one calls themselves Christian does not mean that they live the life that they are supposed to. And the post by newchum was made while I was posting my reply.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 5:59 pm

Bec wrote:
newchum wrote:

It's still the largest religion.

The figure I heard was that there are 1.4 billion actively practicing muslims. So if they aren'y the majority already, they soon will be.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2005, 6:45 pm

Bec wrote:

This is actually skewed as it includes nominal Christians, Christian Science, Mormons and JWs on it, three of which are recognized as cults and the other just means that they call themselves Christian, they do not practice their faith. Plus the parameters of the list are constrictive as well. All this did is lump everyone who had the name "Christian" in the description as I don't see how some of those groups can be accepted doctrinally.

Last edited by Grievous on 15 Dec 2005, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Machloket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2005, 7:05 pm

Sean wrote:
The figure I heard was that there are 1.4 billion actively practicing muslims. So if they aren'y the majority already, they soon will be.

First off, there are at most 1.2 billion muslims, including secular muslims, the real number of muslims is probably about a billion. Second, there are many reports that islam is actually shrinking due to widespread conversion in europe and the former soviet union, tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands in the FSU alone. Islamic leaders are notorious liars as well, and like to inflate their numbers to seem more intimidating. Hell, most muslims live in indonesia, which is so secular it is oftentimes the target for wahabbi terrorism.

Machloket

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 10:10 pm

Grievous wrote:
Bec wrote:

This is actually skewed as it includes nominal Christians, Christian Science, Mormons and JWs on it, three of which are recognized as ults and the other just means that they call themselves Christian, they do not practice their faith. Plus the parameters of the list are constrictive as well. All this did is lump everyone who had the name "Christian" in the description as I don't see how some of those groups can be accepted doctrinally.

I agree. Too many different kinds of Christianity, I'd prefer it were broken down further. I'm utterly disgusted by the number ogf hypocrites in this world, regardless of religion.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 12:31 am

Here's an interesting essay I found about current attitudes toward religion/spirituality. I can't tell you how long I've been waiting to see someone write this:

http://michaelprescott.freeservers.com/skeptic.htm

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2005, 12:02 pm

Thagomizer wrote:
Here's an interesting essay I found about current attitudes toward religion/spirituality. I can't tell you how long I've been waiting to see someone write this:

http://michaelprescott.freeservers.com/skeptic.htm

Very interesting read.