Good News or Bad news ! Autism can be detected in womb.

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:08 pm

I hope that this doesn't go through. I am not a tragedy, and I have a lot to offer to the world. All of us at WP have a lot to offer to this world. I knew that this was going to happen. I'm flying like a cucumber. :evil:

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:12 pm

I will add that I do not agree with any group aborting unless it is a direct risk to the mother. As well, if a prenatal test were to occur, I think by the time that the test were to occur, the parents must have already made up their mind as to whether the child will have a chance at life. People should not abort children just because they are different. There are reasons abortion was made legal where it is, and for the children was never one of them, neither was it for the parents. If I am correct about my history it was originaly for victims of rape, and similar events. Sorta like the morning after pill is meant for. It was not meant to be used for people who get pregnant on their own accord and don't want to have a child because it is different.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:14 pm

I don't know how to feel about this, my mind is racing. I keep remembering my mom saying she is glad the way I am and wouldn't change me at all, I am already against abortion and now I just have another reason, these would-be parents would never know how having a child with a disorder can be a blessing and not a curse, I can't control my thoughts, while I may not have many if any world changing talents I am gifted and just need to find how I can use my gifts, I can't believe... I... don't know.

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:15 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that's very bad news. Now mothers are going to start aborting their unborn autistic children. That really makes me sick. Another reason for expectant mothers to murder their unborn special needs children.

It is more like: another way for mothers to murder their special needs children regardless.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:25 pm

Ok, I think it is good news because knowing your child may be autistic will prepare you for what might come next but I also think it is bad news obviously because many parents won't want to bother with a problem child and will just kill it like... just... any old insect they find on the ground.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:03 pm

Once our kind is driven to near extinction, then the ones of us who are left will be in high demand.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:05 pm

cyberscan wrote:
Once our kind is driven to near extinction, then the ones of us who are left will be in high demand.

I don't want to think of it like that at all, I don't want to be in demand. I just want to be left alone... on the internet with millions of people I don't have to see for real.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:07 pm

cyberscan wrote:

Why. What's so special about people on the spectrum that the world won't continue without the condition?

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:11 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
cyberscan wrote:

Why. What's so special about people on the spectrum that the world won't continue without the condition?

Great job, way to make this even more depressing.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:13 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
cyberscan wrote:

Genetic diversity. Down's syndrome is, according to gr 10 biology, a genetic defect. They are missing a certain portion of their genetics. Autistics are not a genetic defect in the same sense. So, rather than reducing the number of genetic defects, we are limiting the genetic diversity of the human race. I am not saying that it is right to cull DSers, but I am saying that from a genetic standpoint that ASDers contribute more to the future society, as we will not truly know what everything the ASD genetics can offer the human race at this point. It could actually have something that makes us less susceptible to an disease that could be devestating to man kind. It could do a number of other things, but right now, all we know is that we are just less like the rest of the population.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 9:48 pm

The ARE a lot of reasons for testosterone. It could be due to the mother, sex of the baby, possible oversensitivity of the baby, etc.... And HOW do they set the floor? It sounds like a PRETTY flimsy test!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 9:55 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
cyberscan wrote:

I think cyberscan is talking about the fact that AS is sometimes called the GEEK syndrome. Frankly, I AM unusual in that I have an innate understanding about how computers work. Nobody where I work, and in MOST places I have worked, seems to really know how locks work, or what they are for. I once removed the term "atomic" from a spec because nobody knew what it meant, and they couldn't understand any explanation. Sometimes I wonder how ANYONE gets any work done, though I HAVE seen whole TEAMS spend a year to do what I could EASILY do myself in FAR less time. I have to wonder if what some say about AS is maybe true, and THAT is why I am so different.

Yocritier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2009, 3:10 am

I ask again: to those parents of AS children, how many of you were punching the air in delight on knowing your 2 year old child is AS? Knowing your child may lead a life of social disability, depression, stims (from awkward, to life threating chasing-lines-whilst-crossing-the-road), and possible mental disability. To know that you will never ever retire and that you will need to care for your child until the day you die, and yet you cannot die in peace as your child may never lead an independent life.

How many of you parents? Come on, own up.

But hey, why limit the discussion to AS related abortion? I read the news yesterday of a couple insisting on giving birth to their siamese twins, two heads and one body.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 3:21 am

Yocritier wrote:
I ask again: to those parents of AS children, how many of you were punching the air in delight on knowing your 2 year old child is AS? Knowing your child may lead a life of social disability, depression, stims (from awkward, to life threating chasing-lines-whilst-crossing-the-road), and possible mental disability. To know that you will never ever retire and that you will need to care for your child until the day you die, and yet you cannot die in peace as your child may never lead an independent life.

But hey, why limit the discussion to AS related abortion? I read the news yesterday of a couple insisting on giving birth to their siamese twins, two heads and one body.

You don't know what it's like having AS, most aspies live relatively normal happy lives! I don't understand why you joined anyway, don't worry about what's to come and just love your child like you would any other!

Yocritier

13 Jan 2009, 3:33 am

sethzack wrote:
Yocritier wrote:

You don't know what it's like having AS, most aspies live relatively normal happy lives! I don't understand why you joined anyway, don't worry about what's to come and just love your child like you would any other!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am AS myself and have lived a life of depression, confusion, low esteem, and hate. Would I want my child to follow my path?

My response is targeted for parents of AS children, which appears what the OT focuses on. I want to hear from them. To be AS is one thing, but to be a parent of AS takes it to an entirely new level.

cman_yall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2009, 3:40 am

I'm just waiting for the first couple to find out that they're going to have an aspie baby, to raise the child in the expectation that it will be a genius, only to find out that it's just a regular person. Now that'll be funny :)