What Does an Avatar Say About a Person

Page 10 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 10:55 am

My avatar is derived from a school project I had in my Advertising class. Here is the logo:

World of Maditude

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:45 am

No avatar here :P
It'd be nice to use a real photo, but this is one forum where I like to feel I can be completely open about myself, and a photo would make me easier to trace, which would probably make me think twice about being so open. Also I'm extremely vain and would need to spend hours getting a shot I was happy with. Still, I appreciate the honesty of the people who just post a photo of themselves.

As for using a picture or design that isn't me, it's a great idea and I like a lot of the ones I've seen on WP. Shouldn't take 'em too seriously of course but I think sometimes they say a lot about the person. It's the first thing that hits me when I look at a thread, and to me it begins to feel as if it's a real photo of the being who wrote the post. One guy had a picture of David Tennant - seemed to have a look of serious inquiry in his eyes and I kind of felt that it was the Doctor who was talking.....of course I knew it wasn't really that, but it was a nice feeling anyway, it added a bit of interest and made me want to take part in his discussions.

I like the idea of using a real photo that isn't the real person - must be great for people who don't feel good about their own appearance, they can be anybody they want to be and I'll always remember them that way. Almost like a masquerade ball. On the other hand, it seems a shame if people have to hide their true appearance, I'm sure if they just had a bit more confidence there'd be nothing to be afraid of.

Choice of colours is often quite important too, you can't beat nice colours for a feelgood factor. Also avatars make it easier for me to recognise/remember people. Often I can't recall the username but I rarely forget an avatar. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I might upload one, if I get the time, but I'm stuck for ideas. I'd probably have to reject millions of designs before I found one that was really "me."

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:48 pm

<<<<<<<<< It's an Acacia tree.

Aside from being an example of my obsessive devotion to the Plant Kingdom,
These trees symbolize a lot of positive traits to me:

Longevity
Perseverance
Strength
Solemnity
Peace
Robustness
Solitude

Odd_Lori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2009, 1:16 pm

my ava --- this is Edward Norton in "Fight club".
simply because Norton and FC are my greatest obsessions.
well.... *i'll try to stop myself from further talking about my obsessions >_<* :D

Eccaba
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2009, 1:24 pm

MegaAndy wrote:
my avatar is a cartoonised picture of me that i made to the style of the blur album art

I saw your avatar in another forum and it reminded me of the Blur cover. I thought to myself, "Wow, reading everything as directly related to one of your obsessions. Again. Its probably just a random drawing." I'm glad to hear you say that I was actually right. Love the avatar!
Mine is the Tetractys. I've always had a thing for classic philosophy. Lately I am reading a lot about the Pythagoreans. The symbolism of the image really speaks to me. I like the concept of the divinity of number. I could go on forever about how fascinating it is, but I'll restrain myself and refrain from boring everyone to death.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:01 pm

That I'm a Puffer Fish, and the first of my kind. I am the first puffer fish to have Asperger Syndrome. I am not human, I'm a fish.

twix93
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2009, 5:06 pm

My pet hamster, but he died :(. I love hamsters!! !

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:23 pm

I don't post an avatar of my own face for 2 reasons:

1) I am an extremely private person.
2) I am unattractive. I am female and I feel less attractive women are judged more harshly than less attractive men.

My avatar is of my celebrity crush, Swedish rock musician Tomas Ledin.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 6:46 pm

I've found the inspiration for Sid from Flushed Away in recent months. Sergeant Schultz from Hogan's Heroes. Everything about him is so Sid-like just like everything about myself is.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2016, 9:53 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
I don't post an avatar of my own face for 2 reasons:

1) I am an extremely private person.
2) I am unattractive. I am female and I feel less attractive women are judged more harshly than less attractive men.

My avatar is of my celebrity crush, Swedish rock musician Tomas Ledin.

Are you also on inthe00s.com?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 11:27 pm

My avatar says that I like flowers, especially pink flowers. One of my favorites being of course, dianthus.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 11:43 pm

I've already been judged and trolled because of the avatar the the cartoon non-anthropomorphic wolf, which I drew myself, that I used to have on YouTube (Yes, I am STILL going on about that. I may never get over it, so don't tell me to just get over it because I don't have an "over it" switch), so I'd hate to think what abuse and ridicule I'd face if I actually showed my real self, being ugly, fat, female, forty-two and not feminine. :(

Since most of the videos on my channel are of Sims games, I renamed myself Simaginary Friend, and use a generic female Sim's face as an avatar. But I feel that it implies that my only interests are Sim games when I also have videos of my arts and crafts. I may change the avatar to something I actually drew or crafted. Because I want people to see my artwork, not me.

Of course, I also currently have an alien-related Sims 2 avatar, fitting since my username here is lostonearth. I tried to post one of my drawings as an avatar but it kept saying I had two many pixels. I would have to be able to draw images tiny enough to be seen under a microscope in order to make them fit in such a measly amount of pixels. :x

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 11:51 pm

I like nature and it reminds me of a nature center that I go to.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 1:45 am

garyww wrote:
I'm starting to form a theory about avatars.
Could it be that people use a cartoonish or graphic avartar so they don't have to see their own faces associated with their posts?
Could it be because of vanity and ego and wanting to adopt a persona that they think is better than they are in real life?
It's interesting that people post a real picture in the picture threads but still use a graphic as an avatar.
What does ones avatar have to say about the person who adopts it?
Tell us about your avatar if you want to.
Who else has a theory about it?

Not using people's own faces as there avatar is part of internet culture from before social networking. It was originally to conceal people's offline identities while establishing an online identity, now it's just the expectation.

As for what my avatar means for me, it first says that I like My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic, second that I relate with Twilight Sparkle, third that I'm not in fact okay, and fourth that I don't mind if people think I'm a girl as a result of having a picture of a female character as my avatar.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

JeanES
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2016, 2:00 am

I don't look like a person in a mirror.

This avatar seemed to be a fitting representation of myself, given the circumstances.

Even if a person chooses a photo of himself as an avatar, he's still *choosing* one two-dimensional, static image which shows only part of him.

I think one can look for meaning in whatever one chooses. In this case, I think it would be a mistake to infer anything about one picture chosen by an individual member... When they've likely also posted more than a thousand words.. :idea:

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2016, 5:15 am

I am a horticulturist, basically a "professional gardener," and my avatar is a picture I took of one of the gardens I tend.

What does that say about me? I think it says that I'm happy with my career and proud of my work.