Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 10:24 pm

same here, i noticed in just can't take any notes if he only speaks... (good thing most of his pdfs are online! No notes to take, whooo XD )

And 'bout the minesweeper thing, i knew a guy in college who was an adept at the thing, didn't know what it was doing for him regarding his studies though...

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 2:35 pm

When I was in class I would write note after note after note. In fact I still do. :lol:

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2009, 3:33 pm

I'm an auditory learner.

I learn best by listening closely to what the teacher is saying while occupying my hands by taking down notes. I don't need to read or study the notes to get good grades; taking them simply helps me find something to concentrate on rather than random noises or daydreams.

When I'm expected to learn a hands-on process like building something in physics class, I'm quite the opposite. In this case, I need to do the building on my own and have a model to look at for every step of the design. Building things from verbal directions has always been a challenge for me

~SOS

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:19 pm

Complete visual learner. I learn best by reading textbooks, because I have a photographic memory and can refer back to "seeing" the book's pages in my head. If I don't understand something in math (I have NVLD and horrible visual-spatial skills), I need a picture drawn out in very simplistic detail for me to comprehend what's going on.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

QriusGorge
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Mar 2009, 1:55 am

phil777 wrote:
(good thing most of his pdfs are online! No notes to take, whooo XD )

Posted lecture notes are a godsend! On the first day of class, if the prof told us he posted his notes, that was my last day going to class.

QriusGorge
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Mar 2009, 1:57 am

gemstone123 wrote:
When I was in class I would write note after note after note. In fact I still do. :lol:

I did the same thing if the professor's lecture was structured well. Copy lecture, memorize lecture, ace test. Foolproof.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 2:46 pm

RarePegs wrote:
fauxnaif wrote:
Nan wrote:
Having to try to take notes would defeat the purpose of my being in the room -it is extremely difficult for me to hand-write anything, so I'd be so engrossed on the mechanics of writing the letters that I would miss the content.

I feel the exact same way. Hand writing anything gets me caught up on the way letters are shaped as well.

Yes, I have both the multitasking difficulty of listening and writing simultaneously and also a general difficulty with handwriting in that I develop spasms in my hand and can't control the movement properly

To this day (I'm in my 50s) if I have to do much handwriting it will be illegible and there is a very good chance the pen will fly out of my hand at least a few times in a a five-minute period.... thank God for computers. :wink:

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2009, 9:40 pm

My learning style is that if I can't use what is being taught then it will not go in my head. In medical school they try to associate clinical with practical applications but most of the time (actually 99%) it is memorize take multiple choice test memorize. In addition they recommend studying in groups & yet at my school that doesn't seem like what the students actually want to do.

I'm not evil I just have a different view of good

TheUnnamedOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

gemstone123 wrote:

We have to that in my school but I have 30+ notebooks and I can never find what I need.

Examples help me; after seeing someone do it, I can usually do it then. Or if someone walks me through it step-by-step.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2009, 4:32 pm

I just revise from sheets and notes.

GuyTypingOnComputer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2009, 1:52 am

Orwell wrote:
I have to read it to understand it. Listening to a lecture isn't going to get me all that far, and I sure as hell can't take notes during one. Depending on the subject, I might take notes out of the book, but I usually won't. On principle, I refuse to ever highlight or otherwise mark in the textbook itself.

Ditto. My textbooks were pristine and I refused to write in them. I got nothing out lectures other than a confirmation of the subject matter covered. Sitting in a classroom, I would be distracted by everyone else in the classroom, the teacher as well. I would take notes while drawing, daydreaming or otherwise thinking about something else. I learned by myself outside of class by reading my textbook.

Camera
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2009, 11:42 pm

The easiest way for me to learn is from using concepts and understanding what I did wrong/right.

Textbooks are good but sometimes, the teachers are better when asking questions if the book dosn't explain something you'er having a problem on.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

25 Mar 2009, 5:37 am

Henriksson wrote:
The teacher has to write things down on the white board if I am to learn anything.

And I never learn anything from this, basically.

The best method for me for learning is when I feel stimulated so that I don't get bored when I'm going to study subjects which I often experience as a bit boring. I'm thinking of mathematics for example.

The funny part about mathematics for my part, is that I'm actually interested in the subject, it's just that the schoolbooks are very boring.

I have looking for math podcasts to increase my own interest for math and it has been very difficult on finding something good. The Math podcast from the American Military Podcast is the best I have found so far and unfortunately 90% (or more) is above my own understanding. Hmm...

I'm doubtful that I will ever manage studies on a university level, although my personal blog really do show that I am able to learn new things and that there are many things which interests me.

AlMightyAl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2009, 9:58 pm

I'm totally useless with little images or analogies. I do stuff best when its straight forward.
Another thing is, I do stuff in my own methods. In math for example, when the teacher tells us to copy down her method(Which usually takes ages to do) I'm already figuring out the relation to the figures I am given and bam, I figure out my own method of doing the question, usually consisting of 3 or less steps.
I'm terrible at handing things in. I usually get everything handed in late, because of how unorganized I am.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 6:22 am

I'm mostly a visual learner, but also hands on I like to make things.

alienesque
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2009, 7:22 pm

I don't believe I ever learned very much if anything in a classroom. I've sat in many, but what I learned was through my own self-study. Reading the prescribed course text-book is more profitable and leads to life-long retention of knowledge. Merely sitting a classroom and letting it waft over you, and then regurgatating selected points in an assessment test does not. Show me anyone who walked away with the knowledge by simply attending class and doing the assessments.

Then there is the continued distractions of the other students, wandering in late, asking irrelevant questions, giggling and sharing private jokes, and sometimes rival cliques with nasty 'office politics'. I just don't like that environment, it's not good for learning.

I posit that we are all 'self-taught'. Whether or not we have actually sat in a classroom or not. For example, I have more recently taken some CLEP and UExcel exams merely out of interest. This required self-directed self-study, and I found it more fun than ever sitting in anyone's classroom. I don't know why more Aspies don't go down this route, it's a good learning experience and the knowledge sticks with you a long time.

It's also cheaper and you don't have to see anyone. Just download the pdf giving information on what you will be tested on, then raid the local library for your learning materials. Books, CD's/ Videos. Do some intensive study - hey you're an Aspie you should be good at this!

Then for around just $85 you sit the exam at a local test center, and gain between 3 and 6 credits. The credits soon mount up. It's by far the cheapest route to a US College degree. A cunning student could take at least 2 of these exams a month. I wouldn't try to go above 3 unless you already have a good grasp of the subject material. Work at your own pace, take your own sweet time, and take the test when you feel ready. I have a friend who clocked up 51 credits in 3 months (30 from the 5 general CLEP exams) and the rest from DSST/Dantes. He then joined a Community College and did the minimum required to get their Associates degree.

Consider that even if you go down this route, you could still finish your degree at a Community College, you will likely still need a minimum of 18 hours of credit at that College to take their Associates Degree. A single semester should do it! Which of course is then transferable to a University! Finishing up at a local Community College is considerably cheaper than paying out a fortune to Excelsior or Thomas Edison State College - which is how many people who test out gain an award. It's probably more 'acceptable' and creditable also to quote a Community College.