Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 3:20 pm

I do better studying independently.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:10 pm

fauxnaif wrote:
I recently started back to college again. Today I was thinking about different means in which people grasp subject matter.

Some take notes. Head down. Flipping through their textbook. Others highlight in their textbooks. Giving the teacher eye contact every once in a while. Some talk to the person sitting next to them.

I have never been able to keep attention if I look at my professors. I can only take notes in very few classes. Most of the time I keep my head down. Either laying on my arms. Or with my hands resting over my ears holding my head up. Eyes usually closed. I'm not sleeping. I'm not bored. This helps me to focus and paint a picture in my head of what the professor is saying rather than remembering the actual words he's saying. Once the picture is there. It's like a comic strip in my mind. It's easy to go back to it once the time to test comes. I review the slide show and everything he or she discussed comes back.

Is anyone else like this?

In what fashion do you learn material most effectively?

My daughter learns like that - her high school teachers used to tell us they thought she was sleeping in class, until she was one of the few who would pass the AP tests, etc.

I have to read it. I can remember what I've read very, very well. But I have hell following a spoken lecture. Having to try to take notes would defeat the purpose of my being in the room -it is extremely difficult for me to hand-write anything, so I'd be so engrossed on the mechanics of writing the letters that I would miss the content.

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2009, 5:55 pm

Strangely enough, I was always the kid that stared out of the window for the whole class, but still got the highest scores on the tests. This caused problems - at parents' evening my parents were told by one of the teachers "she must learn by osmosis - she never seems to be paying attention but always knows the answer". I had no idea that that kind of behaviour was another "indicator".
I just thought it was because I read a lot. Oh well! Trying for a formal diagnosis might explain a lot...!

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 7:53 pm

I am a visual learner. That means I'd rather see something done and copy rather than read or listen. I learn much better.

fauxnaif
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2009, 11:53 pm

Nan wrote:
Having to try to take notes would defeat the purpose of my being in the room -it is extremely difficult for me to hand-write anything, so I'd be so engrossed on the mechanics of writing the letters that I would miss the content.

I feel the exact same way. Hand writing anything gets me caught up on the way letters are shaped as well.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 6:58 am

I'm a visual and listening learner. I'm more of a listener than a visual but I'm very able to remember things from listening with seeing them as well.

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2009, 7:20 pm

fauxnaif wrote:
Nan wrote:
Having to try to take notes would defeat the purpose of my being in the room -it is extremely difficult for me to hand-write anything, so I'd be so engrossed on the mechanics of writing the letters that I would miss the content.

I feel the exact same way. Hand writing anything gets me caught up on the way letters are shaped as well.

Yes, I have both the multitasking difficulty of listening and writing simultaneously and also a general difficulty with handwriting in that I develop spasms in my hand and can't control the movement properly

Huskywolf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2009, 1:06 am

RarePegs wrote:
fauxnaif wrote:
Nan wrote:

Yes, I have both the multitasking difficulty of listening and writing simultaneously and also a general difficulty with handwriting in that I develop spasms in my hand and can't control the movement properly

Same with me...I'm not good at handwriting at all unless I can do it slowly, and when I'm listening to a teacher I can never tell what's best to write down. And when I hear something I think might be useful, by the time I've written three words I've forgot the rest of the sentence because the teacher said something else and distracted me...I just can't keep up. In some of my classes though other students now take notes for me.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2009, 3:43 am

I'm visual/auditory, which is ironic since I'm half deaf and have 20/75 vision in one eye (so almost half blind, too)

QriusGorge
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Mar 2009, 9:57 pm

Very much visual. Lectures are often unbearable, unless there is a clear structure. Although I prefer not to sit through them at all, the most effective technique I've come up with is using a pen and notebook: I mostly doodle but jot notes when something grabs my attention. Then I already have pictures to associate with the words when I'm reviewing.

mackenzie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2009, 11:43 pm

Lectures are often impossible for me to follow, unless there is some sort of visual aspect to it, such as the professor writing on a blackboard. I have to turn everything into a picture in order to remember it. I also spend a lot of time staring out the window though :)

QriusGorge
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Mar 2009, 1:10 am

And I play Minesweeper. It calms my brain and I can still kind of listen to what's going on.

MKWing26
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2009, 1:31 am

I have to turn everything into something visual. If I'm trying to remember a specfic word or quote, I have to picture the words as if I'm reading them. Ironically, I don't remember a lot of what I physically read. Weird.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 8:58 am

fauxnaif wrote:
I recently started back to college again. Today I was thinking about different means in which people grasp subject matter.

Some take notes. Head down. Flipping through their textbook. Others highlight in their textbooks. Giving the teacher eye contact every once in a while. Some talk to the person sitting next to them.

I have never been able to keep attention if I look at my professors. I can only take notes in very few classes. Most of the time I keep my head down. Either laying on my arms. Or with my hands resting over my ears holding my head up. Eyes usually closed. I'm not sleeping. I'm not bored. This helps me to focus and paint a picture in my head of what the professor is saying rather than remembering the actual words he's saying. Once the picture is there. It's like a comic strip in my mind. It's easy to go back to it once the time to test comes. I review the slide show and everything he or she discussed comes back.

Is anyone else like this?

In what fashion do you learn material most effectively?

I had a similar thing before but then I noticed I was to sloppy and when I wanted to remember a fact I couldn't remember the whole thing just details and the topics merged. Now I have a new system that includes a thick plastic folder and my subjects mapped out, when I want to remember a certain fact I visit the black folder in my mind "opening" it, when I want to memorize the subjects and what order they are in (the order after my schedule) I just remember where the subject is and I memorize the titles of the different topics and if they accrued in the beginning/middle/end of semester. By dividing my experience in parts I can store them more easily and go back by remembering different texts in different colors.

Black - subject
red - topic
blue - text

Later on in my "slide show" I go too the:
"Black Folder" ( that instantly tells me semester-2009)
---> "Subject" (this will point you towards the direction of focusing on red topic text related to the subject)
---> "Topic" (the red text will give you a stronger impression of what you have done since it's a rather aggressive color and memorable) ---> "Text" (after remembering the topic I get the information of the (blue) text for free since I take a snapshot in my mind of the paper telling me the location of the red text and the blue real factual information that comes with the memorized page. (adding numbers to the pages can help and even drawings)

a small drawing of a snake can stand for = medicine
a drawing of a coin can be = finance
etc.

It's a system and all systems take some time to learn.

The way you write things is up to you, but always try to formulate it in a way you get it, then when you're done with your own text you add a [ bracket ] at the end of your text with the real academic keywords.

I started adding them and I noticed I no longer remember slides or visual imprints but I can relate the memorized events and pictures to the academic words instead, a pleasant symbiosis between image and text. The academic text can even give me a recall of all the information that was used to explain the academic text to begin with thanks to aspie ability to remember and gather a strong vocabulary.

:::)

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 11:52 am

QriusGorge wrote:
And I play Minesweeper. It calms my brain and I can still kind of listen to what's going on.

Wild. I did the same thing in graduate school.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 6:20 pm

The teacher has to write things down on the white board if I am to learn anything.