Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 3:28 pm

So there was an article two days ago in the New York Times (just found it) about a book called "Autism's False Prophets." The article can be found here. I think that we've had book that have debunked the myth that vaccines cause autism before, but considering this is getting attention from the NYT I hope that maybe this myth will be debunked.

The one thing that I think will hurt this book's success is the fact that the author, Paul Offit, helped develop the rotavirus vaccine. While I'm fairly sure this is not a vaccine distributed to infants, people will use that to dismiss him.

I don't understand why it is that this medical myth has been allowed to be so prevalent. It's been proven scientifically over and over again that autism has nothing to do with vaccinations.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 4:04 pm

I bought the book over a month ago and I have read it several times already its amazing and after you read it you will never for a second again believe vaccines are the cause of autism.

I used the book as sorce data for my thread Autistic People if you think what I wrote in that thread is amazing then you need to get the book it will blow your mind.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 4:18 pm

Oh good, I thought the book wasn't out yet! I'll pick it up at the bookstore this weekend.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 6:22 pm

Ryn wrote:
Oh good, I thought the book wasn't out yet! I'll pick it up at the bookstore this weekend.

I highly suggest you read a few times just to get it to sink in, its not hard to read, but its hard to let things sink in when your emotional and trust me you will be emotional reading this book.

RPM
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2009, 6:22 pm

Yeah my Mom actually thinks my Autism was related to vaccines but I know it was genetics for sure.

Afterall my Sister has ADHD, my Mom's oldest Brother probably has ADHD, and one of his Sons was tested for ADHD and his Daughter's son was actually diagnosed with Autism (making at least 2 people in my Mom's family being diagnosed with Autism and my 2nd cousin was born in 2003 a few months before my birthday).

And a 1st cousin on my Mom's side was in Special Ed herself and some of her characteristics were Autistic like for sure (although she probably inherited whatever she has from the bloodline of both of her parents since her Dad has Dyslexia but the parent of hers that is my blood relation is her Mom).

But yeah I believe Autism is genetic and that the gene can be carried by either the Mom or the Dad, in my case I am sure my Mom carried the gene, although a friend of mine who is also on the Spectrum probably got the gene from his Dad, as his Dad happens to be Dyslexic (his Dad had in fact dropped out of High School, but back then plenty of jobs were available to those who had dropped out of High School, but my Friend's Dad was barely able to read till my Friend's Mom helped improve her Husband's reading skills).

My Friend's Mom actually think vaccines caused his Autism as well, but my friend does have a relative on his Dad's side that has severe Autism.

A lady that has since passed away that I chatted with online when she was alive, was on the Autism spectrum herself and she told me she was diagnosed with Autism before any vaccine was ever injected into her, so she knew her Autism was not caused by vaccines, but she didn't get any of the Special Education services back then since well of course back in those days, parents of Special Ed students were looked down upon for having *ret*d* children (since too many people thought that those in Special Ed were automatically ret*d, even if it was super obvious that the person in Special Ed was not the R word at all).

Also back then Bruno Bettleheim was claiming bad parenting caused Autism, so her Parents did not want to be looked at as bad parents because they had an Autistic child.

Bruno Bettleheim was still alive when I was diagnosed with Autism, but by then he was already getting discredited in the United States, thanks to the fact that 2 decades before my diagnosis, a book was published by Bernard Rimland that blew the lid on Bruno Bettleheim who had dismissed Rimland's book as fantasy, but then it turned out Rimland was more closer to the facts on Autism than Bettleheim (who committed suicide).

I don't miss Bruno Bettleheim but I sure do miss Bernard Rimland for sure.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 6:57 pm

RPM you need to get your mum to read Autism's False Prophets trust me even if your mum believe vaccines cause it with all her being at the very least she will become skeptical in what she sees as the truth.