To all those who need a helping hand to become optimistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:13 pm

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Optimistic

I found this to be of some help... observe for yourself, and I would suggest applying meditation too.

If anyone has any other theories or anything, by all means - feel free to speak.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:21 pm

This is some good stuff. Thank you for posting this.
We could all use more upbuilding topics IMO :)

:thumleft:

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 5:34 pm

Being skeptical doesn't mean you're being pessimistic, as it is implied in the above article.

Quote:
1. inclined to skepticism; having doubt: a skeptical young woman.
2. showing doubt: a skeptical smile.

Two entries on dictionary.com as an example. You can be skeptical and still be optimistic. Being skeptical is MORE than just having a doubt as well. Being skeptical can make you more aware, and you can readily take advantage of a situation with a more positive approach, as opposed to being lured into something. You can look at a situation, "Oh.. really now?" With that kind of attitude you can then research some of the topic you were skeptical about, and form your own opinion. You don't have to be negative and stubborn if you're skeptical. Simple as that!

People who say that being skeptical is being pessimistic are being pessimistic about being skeptical.

As for me, I try my best to look at both sides of something. I like to find the good and the bad. I do rant a lot and appear to be pessimistic to others, but I don't believe I am, because I also review the pros to a situation.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:38 pm

Understand that the past does not equal the future.

That's an important one. Of course, if you make the same mistake over and over it will. But this is, for me, a big one. Almost all of us have had our self-esteem attacked as children, and as adults we have to realize people see us for who we present ourselves. They have no idea we were little skinny geeks that got thrashed in school by the bullies.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:38 pm

Fo-Rum wrote:
Being skeptical doesn't mean you're being pessimistic, as it is implied in the above article.

Quote:
1. inclined to skepticism; having doubt: a skeptical young woman.
2. showing doubt: a skeptical smile.

Two entries on dictionary.com as an example. You can be skeptical and still be optimistic. Being skeptical is MORE than just having a doubt as well. Being skeptical can make you more aware, and you can readily take advantage of a situation with a more positive approach, as opposed to being lured into something. You can look at a situation, "Oh.. really now?" With that kind of attitude you can then research some of the topic you were skeptical about, and form your own opinion. You don't have to be negative and stubborn if you're skeptical. Simple as that!

People who say that being skeptical is being pessimistic are being pessimistic about being skeptical.

As for me, I try my best to look at both sides of something. I like to find the good and the bad. I do rant a lot and appear to be pessimistic to others, but I don't believe I am, because I also review the pros to a situation.

Ah, forgive me, I haven't read this for a couple of days. I've read it a couple of times and some things stuck in my head.

As for what you say about being skeptical - yes, interesting theory. It's great to have a dose of skepticism I think, so long as you don't let it consume and overwhelm you into becoming clouded by negative energy.

I always feel a bit silly mentioning materialism, because I'm not experienced in this field, but I believe in it - that everything around us and within us is pure physical matter, that can be tamed and trained into being kept in balance and thus managable.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 9:24 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
This is some good stuff. Thank you for posting this.
We could all use more upbuilding topics IMO :)

:thumleft:

I agree. Things have gotten rather negative around here lately. I'm so glad to have run across this thread. Many thanks, samtoo.

I thought all the suggestions were great, and have been applying most of them for awhile, with good results. To me, the key thing is to stay out of "victim-mode" and retain a sense of personal power. Once that's in place, I can usually weather the storms pretty well.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 9:42 pm

You can say that again. Once you identify with being a victim, or held back or pushed down, or down-graded, or substandard or any other classification the game is lost.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 10:11 pm

Thanks Samtoo. :)

I've actually been writing a book on this subject for the past year or so... it's taking its time. :)

Here's a link to the first chapter on deviantART

http://smolderingremains.deviantart.com ... 1-82212934

There's a download link along the left side of the page.